Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well shucks!

Both time's I've convinced my GF to play CC with me she's won. Both times I had been playing Russians. "Not this time!" I thought. I've been reading through almost every thread on the geek about CC:E, CC:M, CC, and playing on vassal as much as i can. No way she gets me this time!

Setup: Map #1, Germans setup on right side of the above image, Russian's get left.
Russians (Myself) rolled line and picked a mid war rifle company (15 rifle squads, 2 weapon teams and a line time + 3 MGs and a light mortar, IIRC). I got 3 leaders, all level 1.

Germans (My Girlfriend Angie) rolled Elite and picked Elite Rifle Detachment (6 elite rifle squads, 1 elite team, 3 light MGs, and 1 heavy MG)

She rolled on support table and grabbed an infantry gun (10 FP) with a weapon team for 2 VPs. This put the VP at +2 for germany, so she was defender.

Germany purchased a trench line (3x trench, 4 cover).

The map was aligned with her (germany) on the right side, as defender, and I was on left as attacker. All the objectives were worth 3VP each due to the open objective, my secret objective made #2 worth an additional 2 VP. Great! #2 is right near my side, i should be able to get it no problem! However, she starts with a 15 VP lead due to owning all the objectives (each worth 3VP).

Germany sets up around objectives 1 and 5 along with units in trenches above and below #5 with another trench in E6. her Heavy MG is placed in the trench directly above objective #5 and her IG is placed in the woods at objective #3 (not great placement, she later discovers).

I set up 60% of my forces around A9 (including a leader and medium MG) with the rest in the trees just behind objective #2 (including 2 leaders). My plan is to have one of the leaders take 2-3 squads on a run for the map edge, as she has not placed any defenders anywhere on the northern woods. The other leader in the north sets up a fire group in the woods to pound the defenders and potentially (if i can get the right cards and break the right enemy squads) charge up to take the objectives in the middle. Finally, the leader in the south with the heavy firepower is going to trade squads with the germans (read: human wave) and try to get close enough for CC, whilst the medium MG gives covering fire.

So that plan went great up until the first turn.

I moved my northern leader, a squad, and a team with an LMG into the objective #2 hex to claim it and start setting up a fire group in the trees. That's when all hell broke loose.

She declared op fire (i figured as much, but what could i do? I needed to get them into the treeline) and rolled an 11 with something like 7 or 8 FP (ouch!). She had the initiative so i couldn't do anything about it. Wound up breaking the squad, team and the leader! No recover cards in my hand, i finished my move (with the other squads in the back that the leader had activated). Then i turned my attention to the south and used a large (11FP) fire group to break a squad in the german building at objective #1. I used another move to start sending my other leader +3 squads into the north woods (safe from fire) towards her map edge. End Turn.

Germany plays fire attack on my broken squad, team, and leader in obj #2 hex. Draws a 10!! Broken rifle squads go from 8 morale to 6, so i wind up losing the squad and leader! Not a good start!

For the next few turns i continue moving my leader +3 squads along through the woods in the north while trying to kill, or break the germans in obj #1 long enough to move up. I manage to pull an advance and get a large number of my southern contingent forward by 1 hex.

About this time she moves the heavy MG (carried by an elite rifle squad) out of the trench line and heads for the path through the woods at I5. I manage to op fire and break it just before it reaches the woods with what was left of the fire group around objective 2. Next turn she moves it into the woods and out of range as my leader and 3 squads continue through the woods unimpeded.

She draws a recover for her heavy MG squad and gets reinforcements! She rolls a 12!!! Time trigger, plus picks up the best leader in the game (2 command, 10 morale)!! The leader is placed on her map edge, and meets the MG at the exit to the path at the same turn as my northern force gets to the treeline around L1 and K2. She sets up in L4 (orchard) and I try to play multiple moves to hope she runs out of fire cards. Didn't work.

Wound up with broken squad in L2 and the other squads + leader still in the treeline. We then get a time trigger (can't remember what caused it) and both play dig in cards. She gets foxholes for her heavy MG team (which is at 11FP, 8 for heavy MG + 2 for leader + 1 for supporting squad). I get foxholes for my broken unit in L2, which helps them rally.

I continue trying to bait her with move activating one squad, but she drops hidden wire on me in hex M2. I eventually get one squad eliminated, a leader and a squad make it off the board, and one other squad is broken in the open.

This is where the russian's fight back! She routs that broken squad 2 hexes to the treeline where they feel more comfortable anyway, and rally on my turn. I move them south through the treeline until I am right next to her MG/squad/leader stack. Throughout this time i'm also taking pot shots at her squad in obj #1 and moving my southern contingent forcing her to spend her fires down there and keeping my last northern squad safe in the treeline. She does not consider them a threat.

Somewhere in here she gets Battlefield integrity, another 3 VP

Little does she know! This squad has a trick or two up their sleave! Very upset about the whole killing their friends thing, they prepare three very nasty ambushe's as they advance into the foxholes! The leader is killed and the MG squad must defend 2 FP vs. 5. Zoinks! She rolls a 10! Rolling only a 4, the No Quarter action in my hand cannot be played. The most perfect situation! 3 ambushes, a no quarter, an advance! The rest of the northern force is eliminated right there, but i did get her best leader!

We're about at turn 4 or 5 at this point (7 is SD). The southern platoon is very close to the tree-line and we've killed a squad with MG in objective #1. My northern leader + squad make it back as reinforcements in the north and get back into objective #2 without problem this time (heavy MG is still way over on the right of the map).

Just when things are looking brightest for me (south closing in on objectives, with at least 3 russian squads surrounding objective 1 and it's lone light MG squad) she pulls a walking wounded. Chosing the leader she rolls...A3! She places the broken leader in A4, and i can't do anything (no fire cards at that time) and on her turn he walks off the map fpr 3 VP! arrg!

Picture the VP track as getting up to 20-21, getting knocked back down to 18, then back up to 23, then down to 19 then up to 25, then down to 21 the whole game!

She gets another battlefield integrity, another 3 VP!

Now it's do or die time, she's pulled up the IG into the treeline left of objective #3 (F9) and is hammering my southern platoon in the open, but they are holding up (dig in helped). We're only a few turns away as i'm desperately looking for advance cards and firing everything i can. My only hope is to kill as many german squads as i can and get a surrender win (i can survive more casualties than she can especially because i got Elan once).

time trigger, SD roll 5. Game over.

>_<

A very fun game that always kept me thinking i was *this* close to breaking out and making a big come-back. I don't feel that i was actually losing throughout any of it, i just wasn't winning fast enough is all, and she kept her 20 VP lead throughout the game even as i killed her units and got exit VP. It was very fun all around, and i can't wait to do it again!

Will try to post another AAR with pics next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report Adam! Man, all you guys with girlfriends or wives who play combat games like CC should thank your lucky stars. My wife won't even look at CC, let alone play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei Jen Seah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your girlfriend plays CC? What the hell Adam...you're already a winner in my eyes haha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a smart gf who likes to play CC!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.