♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I think y'all know I work in a library, and I also think that y'all know enough about libraries to realize that where there are libraries, there are computers. And I'm sitting here listening to a student yapping incessantly in the computer lab on her Bluetooth. Why the Bluetooth? Because I could see it in her ear from where I'm sitting.

I went in to ask her if she could take her call out in the hallway, and saw that there was someone seated next to her, out of my line of vision, and this was the person she was talking to. So I just smiled and said "Good morning!" while thinking, "She's talking to someone else. No biggie." So I walked back to my desk.

When I sat down, I thought: Why is it OK if they're talking to someone who's in the same room, but not if they're talking to someone on a cell phone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Because you're a cranky old fart.

I am too, so it's all good. Wanna stop by and yell at the kids on my lawn later?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Wanna stop by and yell at the kids on my lawn later?

I would, but my sciatica flares up during wet weather like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Pengelly
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Because you're a cranky old fart.

I am too, so it's all good. Wanna stop by and yell at the kids on my lawn later?

Kids have to be yelled at at least once a day as a matter of principle, simply for their own good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
My library is empty now. They don't call it a library either. Its a Resource Center. So if a Librarian works in a Library, then I am a Research Centurion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why should you be Mr. Meany? Isn't that what the Library Police are for?devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the automatic line was "SHHHH!" instead of "take it to the hall"

I know that in college, I studied with others in the library just because other resource books were available to use or that the computers were next to each other if we were doing research. It's all in the context.

The blue tooth needs to be confiscated. College students should be having blue toothes. That's for older, working adults who have to multitask and don't have access to things like those new fangled phones with text, pictures, and crap. How old is she? 30?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Let go Jets!
mbmbmbmbmb
How does someone talk on a "blue tooth"? I know that sometimes I pick up the radio on my "gold tooth", but I ain't never seen a blue tooth, must be some new-fangled southern thing. I will now return back to the rock I live under.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
When I sat down, I thought: Why is it OK if they're talking to someone who's in the same room, but not if they're talking to someone on a cell phone?

I've thought about that too, because it bugged me when people complained about someone sitting on a bus having a conversation on the phone which would be no different if someone was sitting with them.

However, I've noticed in most cases the person on the phone is much louder than they would be if someone was near them. That part bugs me, especially if I can hear the person on the other line shouting through as well. It no longer meshes with the normal mutter of surrounding conversation, stands out, and intrudes on what we're used to.

Kinda like cell phones ringing in a restaurant. You're there to think about eating and conversation in most cases. A ringing phone, much like a crying baby, shatters the illusion of being someplace we can relax without the idea of work or something else intruding.

At least that's my take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.