Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3.6 inches of snow fell on Vegas last night. By the way this article makes it, is sounds more like 3 feet. Best quote by far:

"'It looks like Whoville, all snowy, but with less joy and more extreme misery,' said Calen Weiss, 19, who was stuck Wednesday when snow in the Cajon Pass east of Los Angeles disrupted travel on Interstate 15."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081218/ap_on_re_us/western_weat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss Vegas.

There, now I'm over it.

I don't miss Vegas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a friend who lived in Atlanta, Georgia for a couple of years. Every now and then, they'd get some snow, probably a cm or two. A light dusting, She said the place went nuts, school's were closing, malls were closing. People were staying home from work, news reports about their "blizzard". She always found it hilarious.

Coming from Canada, When we geot 20-30 cm's, with whiteout conditions. Then they decide to close the schools. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
Of course, in places that usually get plenty of snow, there are snow plows and salt trucks. When there is no way of clearing the snow, even a few inches can be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/364718

Ehem... we aren't wusses, just excited. No one here knows what to do when it snows. It hasn't snowed like this in 30 years!

ps. I'll be sure to make a thread like this when I hear some northerner complaining about 100 degree weather (wusses... )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjhendricks wrote:

ps. I'll be sure to make a thread like this when I hear some northerner complaining about 100 degree weather (wusses... )

It's not the heat. It's the humidity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjhendricks wrote:
Ehem... we aren't wusses, just excited. No one here knows what to do when it snows.

Sophomore year of high school we had an exchange student from Pakistan. One day in November a Nor'Easter hit (they're nothing special... nothing more than a tropical storm with a mix of snow and sleet for good measure). It was the first time the kid saw snow in his life. He just got up, ran out of class, and went outside to play in it.

(For the record, cutting class was almost as bad as committing murder at my school, but our teacher showed him leniancy.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THREE INCHES!!!

If we even got 1 inch - we would totally shut down!!!

Let's see some of you snowbirds handle a Category 3!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
Of course, in places that usually get plenty of snow, there are snow plows and salt trucks. When there is no way of clearing the snow, even a few inches can be a problem.
This is Chit Chart. Would you please take that "reasoned and thoughtful response" garbage elsewhere? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
le_cygne wrote:
bjhendricks wrote:

It's not the heat. It's the humidity.

Agreed, I was in Vegas (first time) at the end of September, and although I found it hot many days, it sure didn't have the awful Toronto Humidity. i wasn't sticking to myself by the end of the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Offtopic post
Here's a slighty (re: extremely) off topic post...

In speaking of Las Vegas, anyone ever think of hosting the BGG gamers con there instead of Texas? at least then i could convince my wife to go =) Haha..

Ok, back to snow falling in vegas.

Actually, I have a question about that too, what happens to all those outdoor escalators on the strip? are they water proof some how?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
Here's a slighty (re: extremely) off topic post...

In speaking of Las Vegas, anyone ever think of hosting the BGG gamers con there instead of Texas? at least then i could convince my wife to go =) Haha..

OK, I officially love you... not that there's anything wrong with that...

Gatekeeper3000 wrote:

Ok, back to snow falling in vegas.

Actually, I have a question about that too, what happens to all those outdoor escalators on the strip? are they water proof some how?

I would assume so - most are under a roof, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
3.6 inches of snow fell on Vegas last night. By the way this article makes it, is sounds more like 3 feet. Best quote by far:

"'It looks like Whoville, all snowy, but with less joy and more extreme misery,' said Calen Weiss, 19, who was stuck Wednesday when snow in the Cajon Pass east of Los Angeles disrupted travel on Interstate 15."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081218/ap_on_re_us/western_weat...

Oh, regarding the quote above... the Cajon Pass isn't near Vegas, it's in the mountains much closer to LA. And it can get nasty there when the weather turns bad... I mean, people ski in those mountains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want snow. All we have is

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Vegas and people who claim to be from there: you're not "Vegas" unless you can sing Home Means Nevada from memory, you know what stood where the MGM now stands, you know where you were when the original MGM caught fire, watched PepCon go up, made a snowman during the winter of '79 AND have eaten a Great Gobbler.

Fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
Regarding Vegas and people who claim to be from there: you're not "Vegas" unless you can sing Home Means Nevada from memory, you know what stood where the MGM now stands, you know where you were when the original MGM caught fire, watched PepCon go up, made a snowman during the winter of '79 AND have eaten a Great Gobbler.

Fact.

Home means Nevada, Home means the hills!
Home means the sage and the pine!
Out where the Trukee silvery rills,
Out where the sun always shines!

There is the land that I love the best,
Fairer than all I can see!
Out in the heart of the golden West,
Home means Nevada to me!

The Marina hotel used to be there. I was only 6 when the original burned down and don't really remember.

I was in Jr. High School when PepCon blew in 1988. I was in science class debating nuclear weapons... then bang!! Fun stuff We all ran outside and saw the big smoke cloud.

There is a picture somewhere of me and my brother and the snowman...

What the hell is a Great Gobbler?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I remember the first winter after I moved to Kansas from Wisconsin, I went to drive somewhere after 3 inches of snow thinking it was no big deal. Cripes, you'd think it had snowed 3 feet as crappy as the roads were. I couldn't believe it!

It's like Daniel said, places that get a lot of snow are just equipped to deal with it. Here in Kansas, they just don't have the necessary equipment to be capable of clearing snow very efficiently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjhendricks wrote:
joebelanger wrote:

Fact.

Home means Nevada, Home means the hills!
Home means the sage and the pine!
Out where the Trukee silvery rills,
Out where the sun always shines!

There is the land that I love the best,
Fairer than all I can see!
Out in the heart of the golden West,
Home means Nevada to me!

The Marina hotel used to be there. I was only 6 when the original burned down and don't really remember.

I was in Jr. High School when PepCon blew in 1988. I was in science class debating nuclear weapons... then bang!! Fun stuff We all ran outside and saw the big smoke cloud.

There is a picture somewhere of me and my brother and the snowman...

What the hell is a Great Gobbler?

It's breaded and deep fried Thanksgiving dinner, brought to you by Farm Basket.

What Elem/Jr. High/High did you attend?

I was a Tomiyasu/George Harris - Jo Mackey - Cannon - Chaparral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:

It's breaded and deep fried Thanksgiving dinner, brought to you by Farm Basket.

What Elem/Jr. High/High did you attend?

I was a Tomiyasu/George Harris - Jo Mackey - Cannon - Chaparral.

Farm Basket... that was my brother's haunt Gene Ward, Cannon and Valley - Go Vikings! (Chaparral shake My sister went there ) So sounds like we were both in the SE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were both at Cannon for Pepcon? I hung out with the oddballs during lunch; out by the bike racks.

When did you graduate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Miller
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a Canadian trapped in Kentucky, I occasionally laugh at the school closings over a "dusting" of snow. I don't ever recall school being closed unless it was for an utter blizzard. But here, they deal with ice, and it is a far more dangerous problem, since "farmers" have to drive 80mph everywhere and get into more accidents in this small town, per capita, than any other city in the State...ugh.

Anyway, I just had to laugh at the news yesterday when some resident was calling the snow "Incredible". No, it's a natural phenomenon! And he and his wife, after professing that they have always lived in Vegas, have never seen snow before. This was not a minute after the anchorwoman finished talking about the storm of 1979...perhaps they were on vacation back then and missed it? INCREDIBLE!!!! haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. Pomeroy
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
Regarding Vegas and people who claim to be from there: you're not "Vegas" unless ... Fact.

Wo-ord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njpomeroy wrote:
joebelanger wrote:
Regarding Vegas and people who claim to be from there: you're not "Vegas" unless ... Fact.

Wo-ord.

Hey, Nate. That Bradley Hendricks (above) was a year behind us at Cannon. Crazy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. Pomeroy
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:

Hey, Nate. That Bradley Hendricks (above) was a year behind us at Cannon. Crazy!

The internet: making the small world even smaller.

bat-guano crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.