Subject: Is it a quasi-RPG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenon Iblis
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mb
I mean, is it a game, where you form the plot with the use of some cards, with some text written on them? Or something like that?

I mean is there any substitute for GMs fantasy here?

I've been a die-hard RPG fan, played as GM and as player... And wouldn't enjoy a game, where I have to read some extensive text to get into the mood of the game...?

Or maybe there's a map in Android, and the events a random (or played by players?) So you have only some skeleton (just simple facts, affecting the players or the game directly) and you have to invent the whole story behind it yourself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's me, the fabulous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't like the game. It's not an RPG, it's a boardgame with narrative elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
If you were really dedicated, though, you could make your own characters and Twilight decks and integrate them into the board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenon Iblis
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mb
Well, I WAS a die-hard RPG fan once. Now I'm an occasional sucker for meaty board games (I even own a copy of 7 Ages!). I mentioned it just to tell, that I don't like when the game starts to tell me some flavor-like details about what's going on in the world (like it's done in DOOM's scenario guide, where you read some descriptions) - I prefer to be given just bare facts and some instruments (cards, dice etc..) to affect the game.

I tried Dungeoneer: Den of the Wererats for instance and didn't like it, because I felt that once I read one of the cards (quests), it won't be that interesting to play the game next time and try to imagine new story, based on the "used" (eeh... second-hand?) adventure.. And the enjoyment of that type of game (quest-based dungeon searches) is very much dependant on storyline for me... If there's any hint of a storyline (not just - kill X monsters get Y victory points). I hope I'm making myself clear enough... English isn't my native language, sorry.

What's this storytelling aspect in Android is about? Does it mean, that the story is unfolded via some cards? Are these cards like blocks, form the story over time? Or are cards just some cards with event-like info like in, say, Twilight Struggle?

I've never played any "storytelling" game before.

I'm not good enough at understanding rules, to go through them without the game. And the nearest shop with a copy of Android is like thousands miles away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only "storytelling" in the game is the "flavor text" on cards (as well as some extra flavor text elsewhere, such as the back of the character sheets). However, while the story portion has nothing to do with the gameplay (at least not directly), there is a LOT of it. Every character has three decks: a plot deck that shows the different issues that each character deals with in their personal life, a light deck of cards they can use that detail the good things happening in their life, and a dark deck that opponents can use that detail bad or unfortunate things.

Each game you play two of the character's three events, chosen at random (exceptions are Raymond Flint, who uses only one plot out of two possible for the game, and Caprice Nisei, who always has the same plot for the second game week). The light and dark cards all tie into one of the character's main plots (and playing a card that matches the current plot gives a benefit), so there's a good chunk of possible storytelling here.

Basically, the plot isn't central to the gameplay, but it's referenced throughout the game a lot, so it's fairly easy to "make up" your own story. And since each character's storyline is unique to them, you don't feel like certain people are just "carbon copies" of others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no terrible British accents required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.