Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe, (and anyone else who knows),

I continue to love COH, and have now converted a few of my friends to it as well. We very much want to get back into WW2 miniature gaming (probably 20mm) but have not got on very well with the rules we have tried. We are seriously considering using 20mm 1942 German and Russian models (of which I have a lot), along with 100mm Hexon hex terrain to play WW2 battles using the COH rules. The only issue is scale conversion. Because the individual hexes in Hexon are 4inches (10cms) across, reproducing the boards anything like as they are now would take an enormous board. I want to try and get a sensible size battlefield on roughly a 6 foot by 4 foot table. My suggestion is that you effectively count a hexon hex as the equivalent to two hexes in COH. Or to put it another way you take the values on the current unit counters and halve the firing ranges (rounded up) and double the movement cost. I think that should pretty much cover it for most circumstances.

Has anyone used Hexon? I know Uwe and some others have played COH with miniatures and just used one inch = 1 hex, but because we are effectively saying 4 inches = 1 hex we need to up the scale of the hexes. Interested in any observations anyone may have.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy, this sounds about right. You should also make a rule that states if two units are within an inch of each other (or within one base width), they are considered to be stacked. What is your base width?
Uwe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Uwe,

I don't think this will be a problem because we would still be using large hexes so it will be obvious when you are stacking. If anything because we will be using 4 inch hexes there is more likelyhood of stacking.

Base size is normal flames of war which means 5cms by 3cms for a squad (2 inch X 1 1/4inch)

We are just keen on using the hexon terrain with our miniatures and trying to work out whether COH rules or Flames of war would adjust best to 20mm models on 4 inch hexes.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have a hexon game board. How have you got on playing CoH on a small board? What size miniatures have you used?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never got it off the ground. Play COH vanilla, and working up flames of war armies now for miniatures battles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply. I've been going round in circles trying to get it to work well. Think my game board is just too small. Fine Memoir '44 and Command and Colors but I think I'll have to miniature rules for miniature games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly you may be right

Certainly to play COH with miniatures and a hex board you are going to need a large board

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder if Carpet World do a hex living room carpet. Now if I could get that past the wife it would be game on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P.s Would Flames of War play well on a 6 foot by 3 ft surface?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PPS.. Found this felt mat system with 2 inch hexes would fit Flames of War miniatures in a reasonable gaming area.... tempted?

http://www.hotzmats.com/mat_1-green-earth.html

A 6 foot by 4 foot mat would be the equivalent of 3 CoH boards fitted together. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Punk Reaper wrote:
PPS.. Found this felt mat system with 2 inch hexes would fit Flames of War miniatures in a reasonable gaming area.... tempted?

http://www.hotzmats.com/mat_1-green-earth.html

A 6 foot by 4 foot mat would be the equivalent of 3 CoH boards fitted together. What do you think?

Suspect carpet world don't do hexes.... Have to draw them on yourself.

I think 6 X 4 foot is normal for flames of war so should not be any major problem playing a small to medium game on 6 X 3 though I am not an expert yet

Hotzmats look interesting. We were tempted to use Hexon plastic hexes the problem is though that they are 4 inch hexes which makes it a bit clunky.

Should you wish to do so I don't think you would have any difficulty playing flames of war or COH on 2 inch hexes. That would easily fit 1 to 2 infantry bases in a hex or just about squeeze most tanks into one hex.

Are you going to go for it?

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping you were
I am tempted but I am still researching FOW and army building. That should give me time to await your verdict on playing CoH on your new Hotz mats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.