Popular Tags: [View All]
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered an item from Germany recently, and the company sent the wrong one. I wrote saying that I hoped it wasn't my mistake and asking if they could check and correct it if their error, or let me know and I'd be happy to reorder if it was my fault.

They sent back this response in English:

"Hi Diane,

Please apologize! Of course we will send you the correct [item] at once. Thanks for your patience with us :-)"

Uhm, okay, I apologize!! But for what?

Too funny! Getting a word in the wrong sequence, or horrors, the wrong word, can certainly lead to some very silly phrasings, that's for sure! Like the time I told the French bus driver "Dommage!" (Pity!) when I meant "Désolé!" (Sorry!) for eating on the bus (a forbidden activity)... blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tant pis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Just don't mention or bring UP about: "the WAR!" shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Casey
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mentioned it once....but I think I got away with it alright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Casey
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
========================bluetrainbluetrain=======greentrain=========
\|/ redtrain \|/

Derailed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a jelly doughnut!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
I ordered an item from Germany recently, and the company sent the wrong one. I wrote saying that I hoped it wasn't my mistake and asking if they could check and correct it if their error, or let me know and I'd be happy to reorder if it was my fault.

They sent back this response in English:

"Hi Diane,

Please apologize! Of course we will send you the correct [item] at once. Thanks for your patience with us :-)"

Uhm, okay, I apologize!! But for what?

Too funny! Getting a word in the wrong sequence, or horrors, the wrong word, can certainly lead to some very silly phrasings, that's for sure! Like the time I told the French bus driver "Dommage!" (Pity!) when I meant "Désolé!" (Sorry!) for eating on the bus (a forbidden activity)... blush

All I can offer is that it definitely depends on the item ordered. Maybe the response was entirely proper.

To we Germans, demanding apologies is also our standard greeting, as well as something (albeit less common) said during the throes of passion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure it's just a translation issue, but you can apologize to me, if you want, for not sending me a Doctor Who-themed bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlowe_PI wrote:
... but you can apologize to me, if you want, for not sending me a Doctor Who-themed bag.

This hand-embroidered one (not mine) is cute! And looks like something up Jess' alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diane!!!!

Those are just tooooooo awesome!!!!! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kewl. The Dalek looks like it's chain or couch stitching, backstitching and a variant of the one where you stitch straight lines over top of one another in a circle or other pattern. It raises the stitch off the fabric. You can make all kinds of shapes with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a funny related story.

Many years ago, I was taking a college class for work and there was a lady who would walk in late almost every class.

Her English was not 100% fluent because she would greet the class each time she walked in by saying: "Good Night!" instead of "Good Evening."

My co-workers and I would crack up each and every time she did this. We thought it was HILARIOUS!!!

I remember my Mom telling me how cruel we were and why didn't we talk to the poor woman and teach her what to say. I thought my Mom was bonkers!!!

Of course, I was ONLY 19 years old at the time..........!!!! blush

Boy, that WAS cruel!! Funny, but cruel!!shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In German we use entschuldigen for both excuse and apologize, that's where the problem likely originated.

I apologize would be Ich entschuldige mich
Excuse me would be Entschuldige or Entschuldigen Sie (mich) depending on whom you address.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stargaze wrote:
In German we use entschuldigen for both excuse and apologize, that's where the problem likely originated.

Thanks for the German lesson/explanation! So when they translated to English in sending to me, they most likely meant to say "Please excuse!", which makes a whole lot more sense! I am happy to learn how this confusion could arise. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least that's how I interpret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.