Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Eberlin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The blue infantry was placed (as it has a supply line back to the blue side) and it SHOULD be able to attack the green infantry when placed, since it has

1) Support from the tank
2) An attack spot which points to the card above it.

What am I missing here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Eberlin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I think I figured it out. It NEEDS support from another unit in order to attack, so if a unit was to the top right of it then it would attack... nevermind :-) Hope this helps someone elkse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve E.
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. You always need to support the unit being attacked, NOT the firing unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
1copse wrote:
Exactly. You always need to support the unit being attacked, NOT the firing unit.

Exactly. The easiest way I explain it is: In your first picture the unit behind is just doing friendly fire. You need to be in position to attack the enemy, not your own troops.

Supply from your troops.
Fire at the enemy.
Support the attack against the enemy, don't shoot your own guys in the back!

- Randy cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1copse wrote:

Yup. I've found this is the single biggest hangup people have in understanding the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
1copse wrote:

Yup. I've found this is the single biggest hangup people have in understanding the rules.

So far in my experience its the ONLY hangup!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I commented on this in a recent geeklist as well. There are really only two things that many people have trouble with on the rules. One is occasional confusion about whether they should still draw two cards if they used an Air Strike (yes) but the most common by far is that "support" is really "support fire" and the supporting unit has to be adjacent to the enemy that's being attacked rather than to the friendly that's doing the attacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I commented on this in a recent geeklist as well. There are really only two things that many people have trouble with on the rules. One is occasional confusion about whether they should still draw two cards if they used an Air Strike (yes) but the most common by far is that "support" is really "support fire" and the supporting unit has to be adjacent to the enemy that's being attacked rather than to the friendly that's doing the attacking.

Yes, the name "support" was an unfortunate choice of terminology. Whenever I explain the game rules to someone, I make sure to use the terms support fire, cover fire, or focused fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
edwin pumarejo
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i was having a problem with this also untill i found this thread.
another word i would use is "Flanking".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:

The main thing that confused us was whether a unit needs to be in supply to attack or to support an attack. I re-checked the rules several times in the first 3 games just to be sure that they don't. I don't think it's stated explicitly anywhere that unsupplied units can attack and support, is it? But since it's not stated that they need to be supplied, we decided they indeed don't need to be supplied. For clarity for newbies, it might be worth making this explicitly clear if another reprint appears.

Also we checked a few times to confirm that an air strike can be used against a unit in the enemy base. (Probably we had a subconscious sense that it might not be kosher because of the similar real rule that a paratrooper can't be parachuted into the enemy base.)

Cool game, BTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.