Greece
KALLITHEA ATHENS
ATTIKI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,

I have this game in my wishlist but still i cannot decide if i should buy it.First of all i decided to overlook the fact that my gaming "group" are actually 3 players as i know that this game plays well with more than 3. What really worries me is this game more about area control/diplomacy or equal? However Senji looks great!

Alternatively i would greatly appreciate if you could suggest me a board game that plays well with 3 and it has the following mechanics: battles & area control...(maybe axis & allies??)

Thanks in advance for your replies...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played this once, with 5 of us learning as we went, so my knowledge is quite limited.

But as to what the game is more about (area control or diplomacy) it's going to depend on your group. During the game I played one player was concentrating almost exclusively on accruing cards for the bonus trade-ins, a couple attempted card exchanges to gain points, and I was practically the only one to attempt any attacks.
If your group is aggressive they'll likely spend far less time accruing cards and more building up forces and then attacking. If they are passive you could find that there's very little interaction as everyone concentrates on gaining cards for the trade-ins.

It is a very good looking game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Senji for 4 players. It was not so bad. Even - to my surprise - everyone enjoyed that game.
IMHO decisions were to obvious because possible options were strongly narrowed.

I would expect that with 3 players things would get worse. So I would avoid playing Senji for less than 5 players and do it only on special demand.
With 5 players it's great. With 6 even better.

PS
Check out W. Kramer's Origo. It's not so great. I played it twice and it seems nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As to your other question, End of the Triumvirate is sort of "famous" for being mainly a 3 player game (as the title suggests). While you can play it with too, most accounts suggest is really needs to be a THREE player game. It has area control and battle, altho it is on the abstract side of something like A&A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave L.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
kduke wrote:
As to your other question, End of the Triumvirate is sort of "famous" for being mainly a 3 player game (as the title suggests). While you can play it with too, most accounts suggest is really needs to be a THREE player game. It has area control and battle, altho it is on the abstract side of something like A&A.

Also add After the Flood as a defining three-player game in this area. I haven't played it, but it is getting excellent reviews, and has combat. End of the Triumvirate is also very good, but with pretty abstracted mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Emile wrote:
Also add After the Flood as a defining three-player game in this area.

Well, I've read a negative After the Flood review recently. It said that players tend to gather big armies. Sadly it is not because preparing for a military conflict but to because enabling player to delay his final move. So turns lengthen thanks to performing small steps and waiting for being the last one who applies his 'final touch'. It seems to be something different than the game intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have 4 or more, Senji is awesome. I have never seen two games go the same way, and I strongly disagree that choices become self-evident--the game is quite open, with military, diplomacy and (pseudo-)economy balanced quite well.
But not with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Alternatively i would greatly appreciate if you could suggest me a board game that plays well with 3 and it has the following mechanics: battles & area control...(maybe axis & allies??)

Starcraft, although it accomadates up to 6 players, we find works well as a three player game with an additional starting planet per player. It all about battles and area control. hope its helpful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.