United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new polls are posted, or want to look at the results of prior polls, I have set up a subscription thread here = http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/328439

Poll: The 26th TGIF Poll
Thinking of your favorite game...How many players do you consider the ideal number for that game?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
0.4% 1
19.8% 45
7.0% 16
41.4% 94
22.0% 50
4.4% 10
2.2% 5
8 or more
2.6% 6
Voters 227
Which would you rather do?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Play a game that you rate a 7 or 8 without the ideal number of players.
87.0% 194
Play a game that you rate a 5 or 6 with exactly the right number of players.
13.0% 29
Voters 223
This poll is now closed.   229 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:00 am

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite game is Air Baron.

I'd say the ideal # is 5, although it plays well with 4. It scales from 2 to 6 and the map changes accordingly.

I would also rather play a 7-8 game without the ideal #. It's rare that we have a lot of players around, so I'd always rather a game I enjoy more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really all depends on the game. Some games are just as good with any number they support. Some games might have an "ideal number" which is clearly superior, but the game is still good with some other number. And some games aren't worth playing if you don't have the right number.

For my favorite game, I chose "3 players", but it's also great with 4, good with 5, and ok with 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The second question here is a quite tough one. I mean, I happen to rate Blokus a 7. I would never suggest that if we're not 2 or 4 playing. I tried it once with 3 and that game is not a 7, thats more like a 2 or 3. But then again, I rate Kingdoms at 7.5 ad I've found that to be an excellent game regardless of number of players, so what is the 'right' number here? And I rate Chinese Checkers a 6 but with 3 it's a far better game than Blokus, but not quite as good as Kingdoms. On the other hand I'd not play Chinese Checkers with 5 though, so it really depends on what games we're comparing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Die Macher with five. Yummy...but rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Although Lord of the Rings plays great with 2, 3, or 4 people, I still answered 5. Because if I really had my way I would always have the full compliment of hobbits.

I would much rather play a 7 or 8 game with a less-than-perfect number of players than sit through a 5 or 6 with the perfect number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
That phrase "Thinking of your favorite game..." stumped me. I can't really say I have a super hard-on for a particular game. But I answered using the How to Host a Murder game series, which I very much enjoy if all the stars align properly (time to prep, people can make it, kids are taken care of, etc, etc).

As to the second question, I can't see playing a game I don't like too much just because the right number of people were there. To me, it's like saying, "would you rather eat a bowl of ice cream in the gym (or some sub-optimal place) or have a root canal done by the very best dentist in the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Zehnal
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Raising money to end cancer because those with cancer have better things to do.
badge
I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body.
mbmbmbmbmb
Who those players are is far more important than the number of players. Not to be a snob, but some people are more fun than others. I dislike gaming with players that suffer from too much analysis paralysis. It is a game afterall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I can't really say I have a super hard-on for a particular game.

That's an image I'll have for the whole day. Thanks for that. I'll be thinking of you all night tonight at game night as people are pulling games out that they would like to play. "Are you sure you want to play that game? Do you have super hard-on for it?"

On a side note, I don't think you can be an Ebay fan and a Luddite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the games that I love scale well, so it isn't really an issue.
They work 2-to-max equally well. I think Ghost Stories is the only one (about to make it) on my list that plays best with a certain number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:
I can't really say I have a super hard-on for a particular game.

That's an image I'll have for the whole day. Thanks for that. I'll be thinking of you all night tonight at game night as people are pulling games out that they would like to play. "Are you sure you want to play that game? Do you have super hard-on for it?"

On a side note, I don't think you can be an Ebay fan and a Luddite.

My group uses a rating system for GameNites to see what people are interested in playing -- we rate the games from 1 to 5 (1 = not real interested; 5 = very interested).

We may consider moving to a 3-step rating process now...a la the old adult film reviews in magazines years ago:

Not that interested:

Could be convinced:

I want it now, now!:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite game is designed for two players. But given that it's a niche game within a niche hobby (Advanced Squad Leader), I don't get to play it all that often.

I usually wind up playing games designed for more players at gatherings with lots of people, and we nearly always max out the player count for games. To be honest, I'm not sure I've ever played a game with its optimum player count. And since I rate games based on the conditions I play them under, the question almost doesn't apply to me.

By the very definition of the ratings, I should never want to play something I rate 5 or 6 more than something I rate 7+, no matter how many players there are (except, of course, when the number of players doesn't fit the game at all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Questions were a little straight forward for me this week as my fav game is Memoir '44. Take away Overlord play or playing in teams and this game only really plays with 2.

No point playing a poor game (5-6 rating) as it will generally blow regardless of the number of players. As others have mentioned above, many games play well with any number of players...in the end it is the quality of the game that is paramount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
The first question was a little tricky, since I have 2 favourite games.

When I have only 2 players, my favourite game is War of the Ring (First Edition) with War of the Ring: Battles of the Third Age.

When I have 4-6 players, my favourite game is Attack! Deluxe Expansion

I haven't yet decided what my favourite game is when I have 3 players, but here are some possible contenders:
-Railways of the World with Railways of Europe
-Fury of Dracula (second edition)
-Hey, That's My Fish!
-Age of Mythology: The Boardgame (once I've finally finished my extreme makeover of this game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie best game, best with 2 people.

2nd question, tough one, but still I would take Heroscape with more people over a lesser game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another excellent poll.

I had to go with 2 players as Backgammon is my favorite game.

Can you imagine 4 player Backgammon.

Wait a minute. There is 4 player chess, right?

Hmm.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will post this on the wall tonight at game night. It should make voting for games much easier.

Lemur wrote:
We may consider moving to a 3-step rating process now...a la the old adult film reviews in magazines years ago:

Not that interested:

Could be convinced:

I want it now, now!:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
As to the second question, I can't see playing a game I don't like too much just because the right number of people were there. To me, it's like saying, "would you rather eat a bowl of ice cream in the gym (or some sub-optimal place) or have a root canal done by the very best dentist in the world.

If the question were, "Would you rather play a game you rate a 10 in suboptimal conditions or a game you rate a 1 in perfect conditions," I might agree with your analogy.

But here the question compares 7-8 (which the Geek ratings define as "Good" to "Very Good") and 5-6 (which is "OK" to "Average"). That makes for a much more interesting question than the one you imagine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:

If the question were, "Would you rather play a game you rate a 10 in suboptimal conditions or a game you rate a 1 in perfect conditions," I might agree with your analogy.

But here the question compares 7-8 (which the Geek ratings define as "Good" to "Very Good") and 5-6 (which is "OK" to "Average"). That makes for a much more interesting question than the one you imagine.
But the true range of BGG ratings is roughly 4.5-9. Hardly anyone uses 1-4 and 10. A 5-6, to the masses, is a "really poor game" while a 7-8 is almost as good as it gets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
My answers are skewed because I'm primarily a wargamer. In my book, ANY game with an opponent is better than playing a great game solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra - 3 players.

I'll take Fury of Dracula (8) with 4 over Patrician (5) any day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No surprise that my favorite game(s) are 2-player AbStrats.

As for the scond question, I'm pretty sure that, because of the BGG rating system, some of my 5 and 6 rated games would be rated higher if I had enough players to get them to the table more often . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.