Wayne Hitchcock
Taiwan
Tanzih
Taichung County
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, hey...

Ok, enough of the chit-chat, let's get down to business.

To win an election a player must have more bums in seats in parliament than his opponents. Seat in parliament are gained by winning constituencies. Constituencies are grouped by provinces and broken down by whether it represents urban or rural areas, Francophone or Anglophone population.

Look at theses examples:

Representation by population is the modus operandi of the Westminster Parliamentary system, and these areas are where the bulk of Canada's population is concentrated. Taking any two automatically gets you the keys to 24 Sussex Drive

But, but, but...I hear you say...that's how it is! Yes, yes I know, but does that mean it must be this way in the game?

As all the other constituencies have 5 - 15 seats, I'm thinking to divide these up so they have 20 each. Thus...

Ontario / Rural / Anglophone will become SW Ontario, NE Ontario, and N. Ontario. All of which will be designated Rural / Anglophone.

Ontario / Urban / Anglophone will become Ottawa - Toronto and Toronto - Hamilton. Both will be designated Urban / Anglophone.

Now that you've digested all that information, does anyone have any suggestions how to divide Rural / Francophone / Quebec?

Also, any suggestions re: card layout? The background looks crappy in these images, but it's actually quite nice when printed on card stock. I'm not sure I like the layout of the text though.

Cheers,

Wayne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a bit of nitpicking but try calling them ridings instead of constituencies.

As for dividing Quebec, Montreal and Quebec City could both be considered urban areas and I would divide Montreal into two cards, one anglophone and one francophone. Quebec City would just be Urban francophone.

My question involves what do the numbers 50, 40 and 60 on the cards represent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To truly be nitpicky you would have to call them "Electoral Districts" not "ridings".

I also am not sure what the numbers on the cards represent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hitchcock
Taiwan
Tanzih
Taichung County
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:
Just a bit of nitpicking but try calling them ridings instead of constituencies.

As for dividing Quebec, Montreal and Quebec City could both be considered urban areas and I would divide Montreal into two cards, one anglophone and one francophone. Quebec City would just be Urban francophone.

I like that idea. I had already divided the urban Quebec constituencies into Quebec / Urban / Francophone and Quebec / Urban / Anglophone. I have to confess, I've only ever been to Hull, and then only as a side trip during my visit to Ottawa. Isn't the island the anglo area of Montreal?

But what about rural Quebec? It would be entirely Francophone, but how should it be divided up?

Vollick1979 wrote:

My question involves what do the numbers 50, 40 and 60 on the cards represent?

Sorry I didn't make that clear. They are the numbers of seats in parliament that card represents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_federal_parlia..., It describes how many seats each province had for each election. The number increases for most elections so that could be an interesting game mechanic.

Rural Quebec is almost entirely francophone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hitchcock
Taiwan
Tanzih
Taichung County
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an interesting article. I had thought to include a game board at one point, but never really pursued the idea. However, that diagram of parliament could definitely be added if I were to do so.

Increases in the number of seats in parliament at this time was driven more by new provinces entering Confederation than increases in the general population.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.