Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Battle Line» Forums » Rules

Subject: New to Battle Line questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the first of some questions that I ran into with my first few games of Battle Line. (note:I did not play with the tactic cards)

1) In order to pass, a play must have the inability to put a card down into a slot. In other words all of the open slots on his side have 3 cards in the them.

2) Can you claim 2 flags in one turn? So say I am playing with the advanced rules and put a card down waiting to claim the flag on my next turn. My opponent goes and is forced to put down a card which I now realize has also given me another flag. Can I now claim both flags on my next turn?

My first 3 games were pretty good although I found it a bit slow as my wife and I were not clear on the exact rules and strategy. I can see how this can turn out to be a very nice game.

thx
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall:

1) Yes, that's correct

2) I think it's actually worded 'at the start of your turn' in the advance rules. So in the case you mentioned, yes you could claim two because you've met the conditions for winning the flag from the start of your turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes. All your slots must be full.

2. You can claim as many flags as you want. However, you must be able to prove, beyond doubt, to the other player that they can not win those flags.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Rather than at the start of your turn, I believe it's simply before you draw a new card. Therefore, it can be before or after you play a card, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

Rather than at the start of your turn, I believe it's simply before you draw a new card. Therefore, it can be before or after you play a card, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.


You are correct with the initial rules, but in the back of the rule book the advanced rules state that you claim a flag before your turn.

I've only played 4 games so far but I'm leaning towards using the advanced rules as it gives your opponent the ability to counter your move as well as discard a useless card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mihola
Austria
Wolkersdorf
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
piks wrote:
JYoder wrote:

Rather than at the start of your turn, I believe it's simply before you draw a new card. Therefore, it can be before or after you play a card, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.


You are correct with the initial rules, but in the back of the rule book the advanced rules state that you claim a flag before your turn.

I've only played 4 games so far but I'm leaning towards using the advanced rules as it gives your opponent the ability to counter your move as well as discard a useless card.


Interestingly the rules for Schotten-Totten also say: “On your turn, and before you play your card, you may claim one or more boundary-stones.”
But then, I believe Schotten-Totten didn't have any tactics cards yet, so the only difference in that case would be the ability to discard a useless card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
piks wrote:
JYoder wrote:

Rather than at the start of your turn, I believe it's simply before you draw a new card. Therefore, it can be before or after you play a card, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.


You are correct with the initial rules, but in the back of the rule book the advanced rules state that you claim a flag before your turn.

I've only played 4 games so far but I'm leaning towards using the advanced rules as it gives your opponent the ability to counter your move as well as discard a useless card.


Yep, advanced rules are before you play a card.

Welcome to the game, Andy -- one of the very, very best!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.