Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have searched for a copy of the rules online but have not had any luck. Does anyone know if they are available?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

conky wrote:
I have searched for a copy of the rules online but have not had any luck. Does anyone know if they are available?

as i know, the rules are not available online. If you want them, buy the game, it's worth each cent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The publisher still exercises their right to not make the English language rules available to the public. It is unfortunate, but it is their business to run. I've heard great things about the game but don't plan on buying it until at least after I've played it or read the rules at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ward wrote:
The publisher still exercises their right to not make the English language rules available to the public. It is unfortunate, but it is their business to run. I've heard great things about the game but don't plan on buying it until at least after I've played it or read the rules at least.

Your loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
John Bohrer wrote:
Ward wrote:

Your loss.

Not only, it is a loss for the publisher too. I don't think proxying games is that common really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, without reading the rule in advance to understand how the game works, I will not spend $50+ on buying the game to 'give it a try'.

This is my personal opinion. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
I got an excellent sense of how the game works from reading the reviews and session reports. Often times if I go into a game having only read the rules I actually have more misconceptions than when I have read the accounts of others but not read the rules.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing the game first is one thing, but after I read the rules the first time, it almost turned me off of this game. Everything is there, but they are poorly laid out.
As MMM suggests, read the reviews and session reports. This is a great game, but the rules leave much to be desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, here's the thing. At WBC'08 there were plenty of opportunities to play TtA. I passed on all of them because when given a choice between playing a game I'm at least familiar with (i.e. read the rules) and one that I might screw up others' games in (due to lack of familiarity), I chose - and usually will - the former. Fortunately, a friend of mine did take the opportunity to play it and liked it enough to preorder it, but how many are out there like me who aren't as fortunate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Filip
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Octavian wrote:
I got an excellent sense of how the game works from reading the reviews and session reports.

I also thought I have to read the rules in order to decide spending almost twice this game's value, due to shipping charges. Turns out the curiosity was too much for me to handle, I gave up, bought the game and guess what? After reading the rules I didn't learn anything new. All of it is already explained in the reviews.

rockusultimus wrote:
but after I read the rules the first time, it almost turned me off of this game. Everything is there, but they are poorly laid out.

And this is why you actually DON'T need to read the rules prior to make a decision. It is one of the most confusing rulebooks I've ever seen and even with the game laid out in front of me, reading the same paragraph over and over again, going online to check the rule questions was the only thing that could help me understand it. You'd be missing a hell of a game if you had the opportunity to read the rules online. Hey, maybe that's exactly the reason why they don't want to make them public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's not a matter of not wanting/willing to buy the game (hoping to get it for Christmas) but a friend got a copy and a few of us want to read the rules ahead to reduce 1st playtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fixpix wrote:
...You'd be missing a hell of a game if you had the opportunity to read the rules online. Hey, maybe that's exactly the reason why they don't want to make them public.

Well, that is one lame reason for not making them public. "Our rules are crap, so we don't want to turn people off to the game before they spend their hard earned money on it" just doesn't cut it. At least the "it's my IP and I'll disseminate it how I wish" is a reasonable decision, but wouldn't they be much better off actually putting together a decent rulebook in the first place? I'm sure I'll eventually play TtA (of course, I said the same thing about AoS but have yet to as it sits on my friend's shelf after a few years now) but it would be more likely to be sooner rather than later if the rules could be previewed. As I said before, I'd probably already own the game if that were the case - it had been offered to me in a trade not long ago.

I respect the publisher's decision, but I can tell you that GMT gets more of my money due to their publishing policies. And for FRED to allow some foreign language rulebooks to be made public but not the English language ones is a bit odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Ward wrote:

I respect the publisher's decision, but I can tell you that GMT gets more of my money due to their publishing policies. And for FRED to allow some foreign language rulebooks to be made public but not the English language ones is a bit odd.

To my knowledge FRED doesn't publish the foreign language editions, so it isn't their choice to allow it or not.

And however much the decision to not make the rules available online is costing them in sales, it certainly isn't enough to dissuade them. They are going into the third print-run, after all.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ward wrote:
And for FRED to allow some foreign language rulebooks to be made public but not the English language ones is a bit odd.

I don't think that's odd. I dislike companies that don't publish their rules online, but it's easy to understand why a company might not allow free distribution of English rules (which every buyer of the game already gets in the box), but might want to allow free distribution of translations (which enable people who don't speak English to play the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps someone could get a foreign language copy and translate it into English for us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pride
Indonesia
Jakarta
DKI Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is another side of this. I couldn't play immediately. Through the Ages is complex game, so I would prefer to read the rules beforehand, so when I bought it I could play it immediately.

Sadly, this is not the case, I missed a session that was planned to play it because I need to read the rules first. It's not the rulebooks are bad, quite the contrary, the rules are laid out nicely with key points and examples. They are clear and require little referencing. Even the player aids were rarely used during our first game.

But reading the rules NEEDS time! Even it's just annoyance because I couldn't play it right away, it's still a dissatisfaction for me. Could they at least let people posting it here, in .doc files at least? I mean, what they got to lose? A myth about losing customer because horrifying rulebook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemo Lyczynski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for 3rd edition are flawed. They should prepare fix and publish them as soon as possible.

They mixed pictures of players mats from the new edition with rules from previous ones and at first it's difficult to figure out how one should play. This especially concerns food consumption and corruption. They also multiplied misprints on the cards in the latest edition.

We're waiting for the official errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Morley
United States
Rainier
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They seems to be a lot of deep thought on the subject here for a simple question about the rules being available online. Love the geek. I was never able to find a copy of the rules until I purchased my own copy of the game.

As an aside, TtA is a good game, but not for everyone.

edited for grammar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So true....fwiw, my friend is just going to make a copy of the rules to share with a few of us. Didn't intend to stir a hornet's nest.

Stratagems wrote:
They seems to be a lot of deep thought on the subject here for a simple question about the rules being available online. Love the geek. I was never able to find a copy of the rules until I purchased my own copy of the game.

As an aside, TtA is a good game, but not for everyone.

edited for grammar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chalk me up as annoyed by not having the rules online. I just bought the game and would like to play with a couple of friends online, but now it's going to be a PITA. How I wish this had been picked up by a better publisher, on several counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cataldo
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those players who just want to get familiar with the rules before playing (perhaps also relevant to those who want to see before buying), you could just browse the files here on the geek: http://boardgamegeeks.com/files/thing/25613

There's no one "rulebook translation", but there's lots of summaries and player aids, some of which may be more useful than the original game manual.

There's even a complete card list, which is pretty useful for giving lots of real examples while reading other parts of the rules (and really focuses on the important bits of each card -- i.e. you see the Production heading with listings for Food, Resource, Culture, Strength, Happy, Science, CA, and MA, and the fact that those items are listed there tells you a lot about what is what).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, but I've looked through all the files and haven't found quite what I was hoping for in terms of a comprehensive rules "Cliffs Notes", Guess I need to learn to read Spanish or Portuguese or something....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.