19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Obtaining GeekGold rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a big fan of BGG for quite while, and it amazes me as to the amount of Avatars and Badges folks have. I'm just curious as to how people are obtaining most of their gold to buy badges and Avatars. Are most of you getting your gold from supporting the site financially? I'd like to get an Avatar but it costs 30 GG! I've donated to BGG by giving some funds but I guess I will have to wait another year to get my Avatar.

Merry Christmas.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of us get our via contributions to the site. Uploading images, reviews, session reports and so forth. You can also earn it through image modding. Here is a link to the BGG Wiki about earning GeekGold: All about GeekGold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Thomas
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andy,

It is possible to get geekgold for other things than just financial support. Here is a great link that will help you on your way to geekgold prosperity http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/GeekGold#.

Preston

Darn, beat me to it, and more eloquently, as well...cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Auction off a game you don't much care for in the GeekGold auctions section. If you agree to pay the shipping you'll get a bunch of extra GG. It'll cost you a few bucks for shipping, plus you get rid of a game you didn't like much anyway, and you'll have more than enough GG for your avatar and a microbadge or two.

That's how I got my first few pieces of bling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the larger part of my avatar block from reviews and session reports, and some generous tips. When I paid for my 08 suppoerter badge, I think I already had it all (übergeekbadge, avatar, 5 microbadges). Perhaps I had only 4…

Nowadays I just use the GG to give away for good posts and stuff.

Solution: Post good stuff. Review some. Session reports are fun. Or invent something nice for a game, some variant. People will tip you, promise.

Edit: Hm, seems my memory fails me. I didn't have the GeekBadge nor Über one before 2008, but at the point I had it all, only 15GG had come from the financial contribution. The rest was reviews, sessions, games, pictures and tips. It's doable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy

I noticed that for a NEWBIE you have contributed some stuff to the site and you need a little GG. Well perhaps not anymore! I would only do this for someone who made an effort to contribute and you have!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice. I do have a game, Top Secret Spies, that I may just donate. I do not really care for it and its only been played 3-4 times.

This is a great site and most of the people are really helpul. It would be nice if this site represented a microcosm of our real world.....maybe it does
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzyfife wrote:
Andy

I noticed that for a NEWBIE you have contributed some stuff to the site and you need a little GG. Well perhaps not anymore! I would only do this for someone who made an effort to contribute and you have!

THANKS Ron....and may 2009 bring health and happiness to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo van der Horst
Netherlands
Capelle aan den IJssel
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made my geekgold fortune through a combination of geekmodding, designing microbadges and submitting images (and a few files that were well received). In general you can gain geekgold by doing something useful, so pick something from the list that seems like something you'll enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly from Reviews and Sessions Reports. If you submit quality you should really get somewhere between 3 and 4.2 GG per contribution for Reviews and Session Reports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Mostly from Reviews and Sessions Reports. If you submit quality you should really get somewhere between 3 and 4.2 GG per contribution for Reviews and Session Reports.

Or in my case, 1.9 GG for a lack of quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Leenaerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I got my avatar is actually quite interesting. cool
Some user wanted to know how to change his username (Elfbane) to something else because he didn't like it once he started visiting the site more often. Then someone suggested to use an avatar that matched the name so it would be cool again. Then someone posted a dead elf. Then someone yelled to photoshop a sword sticking out of the dead elf's chest. Then I photoshopped a sword sticking out of its chest. Then 'Elfbane' posted that he actually didn't have the GG for an avatar. Then someone donated him the GG. Then I posted that I was still saving for an avatar too. Then some folks donated me some GG too as a reward for designing the fantastic avatar for our friend 'Elfbane'. And there it was!
See also: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/321941/page/1

I personally noticed that it's very hard 'these days' to earn GG by posting pictures, because all the relevant pictures are already on this site (boxcovers, images of the board and the bits etc.). Much of the pictures you could post will be declined for being 'too similar' unless you bought a new game as one of the first to do so, so you'd be able to post some pictures for a game that has none yet.

Same thing with reviews. The games I own are all very popular (Puerto Rico, Settlers, Citadels etc) and therefore already have a huge amount of reviews. New reviews for such games won't earn you much GG.

So I guess the 'only' thing to do is to post very interesting content in the forums and rely on the generosity of BGG'ers reading your posts and liking 'em (like the GG you earned by starting up this thread).
OR
You could change your name (above your username) to 'Saving for an avatar', I've seen that work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am too lazy to upload too much stuff.

On the other hand do I know that Derk needs to live a life in luxury, so I try to support him the best I can - and in return he nicks a few GG for me from Aldie.

One back scratch the other... meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could offer me some unusual dice in exchange for geekgold.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/74034

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keng Ho wrote:
You could offer me some unusual dice in exchange for geekgold.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/74034

I will keep my eye out for you.....do you have a list of what you already have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
piks wrote:

Unfortunately not. And it would be rather a long list. However, the list of dice I do not have is much longer, so just try me and more likely than not I'll want it.

Regards,
Keng Ho

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keng Ho wrote:
piks wrote:

Unfortunately not. And it would be rather a long list. However, the list of dice I do not have is much longer, so just try me and more likely than not I'll want it.

Regards,
Keng Ho

It would be a very cool picture if you could do a lay out of all your dice and take a picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
piks wrote:

It would be a very cool picture if you could do a lay out of all your dice and take a picture.

That would take too long too set up and keep, and you wouldn't be able to make out much detail of individual dice.
You'll just have to be satisfied with shots of individual boxes like this one:

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I stick up the GeekGold stage coach. Sometimes I kidnap meeples and hold them for ransom. Someone suggested we have a geek gold "investment club", but it was really a Ponzi scheme, and there I certain things I just won't do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.