James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
MSNBC just put out this news segment on the popularity of the traditional boardgames like Clue, and interviews one of the Hasbro people behind the new edition of the game:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/28327950#28327950

I wonder what these Clue players would think of Euro-games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you look closely, you'll see that they have a copy of Sleuth with them as well. It's a Sackson, so they're not completely "clueless". They also appear to be at a gaming convention, so I'd say that they just *happened* to be playing Clue and that's what the TV station zeroed in on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think they would have the same reaction I had and many others I have known. I have heard more than one person say; "I didn't know games like this existed", referring to Eurogames. It is sad that there are literally millions of American gamers out there that only know of Clue, Monopoly, Life, Scrabble, and a gazillion party games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link.

It's a cute little piece.

But here's the thing (and this is my standard comment about a LOT of things that get "facelifts" or updates of any kind): The old games are going nowhere. You can find innumerable copies of 'Clue' on ebay or in your local charity shop/thrift store. To the day you die, you'll be able to accuse "Colonel Mustard" of doing it with "the candlestick" in "the Conservatory".

My feeling is that if the update attracts new people to the game table, so be it! Perhaps the family playing this new version on Christmas Day will be playing "Settlers Of Catan" by Easter!

~S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thosw wrote:
Well, if you look closely, you'll see that they have a copy of Sleuth with them as well. It's a Sackson, so they're not completely "clueless". They also appear to be at a gaming convention, so I'd say that they just *happened* to be playing Clue and that's what the TV station zeroed in on.

Probably more like the filming crew recognized the game and figured audiences would, too.

Lest we hear a reporter butcher names like "Settlers of Cay-tan" (rhyming with Satan), or "Ay-gree-cola".

EDIT: On second viewing, it actually looks like they're playing at a cafeteria or a public building of some type. They probably have Sleuth there because they have an interest in mystery-style games, rather than gaming in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Baker, the Hasbro guy, sounded English to me, not just a Brit but ein Englander. Somebody should find him and talk to him. By the way, his points about the updates sounded reasonable to me.

And who was that sound-bite man on Wall Street? They dragged him outside for a three second clip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.