Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all I will start by saying we only got the game on Friday...today is Saturday lol. We basically played one "Family" game Friday night. Then this morning we played our first practice game and learned how to play with the occupation and Minor Improvement cards.

So after all of that earlier tonight (12/20/08) we played our first 'Real" game as we called it.

One other note...my son is 13 and a VERY smart kid. We play numerous games together including Memoir 44, Stone Age, St. Petersburg, San Juan, Runebound etc etc.

Ok on to the game...

He went first. Got on the wood right away. I made up my mind to start right out trying to get an extra house room and then person as priority. By round 4 I had accomplished this.

He stacked up the wood and started to focus on making Pastures and rounding up the animals. I decided to get a few Fields up and running first then around round 7 I finally got up a 8 fence - 4 square pasture and scored on 3 wild boar.

We went along pretty well. I was able to get the Brewmaster I think his name was out early so turning a grain into 3 food saved me a few times. I also had out Clay Guy....sorry forget name. I was hoping he would pay off later if I got chance to upgrade house.

Anyway....the last round I basically was able to win the game. In the last round Im not sure what he did but with my 3 people (note he only had 2) I hit the following spots...

First I got the final round spot...so I was able to upgrade house to clay (4 rooms). Then I had 1 wood and I used it to put one fence into a 2 square pasture that had 3 boars in it. I cooked one boar to make room on one half.

Then with the next guy I took the 2 cattle that were available (I had no cattle before this point) and put them in that new pasture.

Then my last guy I believe I hit the lesser Sow and got an extra vegetable.

Anyway the final score was as follows...

Dad - 27
Son - 24

Close game. My only negative was -2 for unused spaces. He had a -1 for unused spaces.

The big difference I think from looking over the scorecard was I got 4 points for the Clay house spaces...he was still wood. I had 3 peeps...he only had 2. So that was a 7 point difference there.

He cut 4 of those points by beating me on Fields by 1, Grain by 1, 1 extra bonus point and 1 less unused space.

I dont know how our scores fair on a typical game for people. I think we both realized several mistakes and missed oppotunities after the game. I double checked all the rules posts here etc and best we can tell we are doing everything right. Our first game this morning I looked up and found we were doing the animals converted to food/breeding wrong. But we corrected that.

So far we really like the game. We lately have been playing alot of St. Petersburg and Stone Age and really enjoy both of those games. this game definetly takes things up a notch from those 2 games. We look forward to many more games and perhaps rope someone else into trying ti with us once we really get the game down and can explain it without to much thinking lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb

Good report. I'd say those are (relatively) low scores. Sounds like neither one of you paid much attention to gearing up a Fireplace or Hearth to cook animals and veggies. Your son will soon realize that expansion and family growth will provide more actions and thereby more points. With two players, both of you ought to be up to three peeps by around Round 8 or 9, easy. Both should be finishing the game with four, if not five, dudes.

Keep at it; I'm sure you'll be figuring things out. Remember, efficiency, economy, and timing are the watchwords of Agricola. Always look to be conserving actions. Build two rooms at a time, if possible. When you renovate, be ready to pick up a Major Improvement (or at least activate a Minor) at the same time. Ditto for Family Growth. Better to sow and bake, rather than just one. Ditto Plow & Sow. If you're going to nab Starting Player, best to do so with a Minor Improvement as well. Especially with two players, learn to grab Starting Player when this will give you first crack at a nice, stacked resource action. All of this will become second nature to you as you gain experience.

Anyway, nice report, and glad to hear you like the game. There's a reason it's #1 here on the Geek, and it's not just "follow the leader" syndrome. I'd been leery at first (especially after someone reported that their little girl liked it), but now I'm a convert, as is most of my crew. I'm pretty sure this one is going to maintain its entertainment value for a good, long while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.