Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say it can be played with 8 players, and the cards are dealt as follows:

2 Werewolves
1 Fortune Teller
5 Townsfolk

It strikes me that there MUST be 9-players. 8 of the above, and one Moderator! Otherwise, do you remove one Townsfolk? I'm confused!

Please help.

Thank you,

Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you always need a moderator who is none of those roles.

I guess they meant "8 players ... and one moderator"
(since the moderator doesnt technically "play")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I especially appreciate the question. I've "played" four times, with eight people and each time I was the moderator & first townsfolk person "killed" as a matter of course. Soooo, I've taken to encouraging others to take my moderating role (I ain't all that great anyway) and haven't succeeded at not moderating (and consequently dying immediately ) or getting more than "8" players, yet. It's only been a few moons since I've gotten it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you end up doing 7 players and a nonplaying moderator, throwing the Thief card in there can help the smaller game be a bit more playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with the thief for the first time tonight and I heartily agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Reznik
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my rule of thumb has always been to make it 50% townspeople, 25% wolves, 25% specials, but always random specials and NEVER reveal cards on death, i think this especially helps when there are not many players. for your case, i would probably do 3 townspeople, 2 wolves, and 2 random specials, but this is not optimal and a lot of games will depend on which combo of specials comes up. imo thief would be the worst thing to come up because thief->wolf or thief->townsperson almost guarantees the wolves a win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
callmeVlad wrote:
for your case, i would probably do 3 townspeople, 2 wolves, and 2 random specials

As documented in my post
"Werewolf: A boring, pointless game with 8 players?",
when I first came to play Werewolf I was very keen but it just fell flat with so few players.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/306569

I've since played it with never less than 12 players and it's been so much better.

With 2 werewolves vs 5 victims, the games will be very quick. 5 minutes each?
Even if you assume the game starts with a "no kill night", you have approx 50% (17:18 assuming random) chance of the game finishing on the 2nd day - otherwise it finishes on the 3rd day.

While that means the villagers only get up to 3 votes every second game, spare a thought for the werewolves who would only get to kill 1 person in half the games you play, and that's not fun. If your extra roles eg Seer make the werewolves easier to find, they'll rarely get 2 kills.

8 people is a bit of a tricky number. For 7 people I'd suggest BANG! which has a similar "who is who?" mystery but fleshes the story/game out with more interaction between players (also no moderator required). I gather there is an 8-player variant (perhaps in BANG! The Bullet!), but I've been wary of trying that.

Good luck! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a small game, definitely don't use the Hunter. That makes people drop like flies.

The Thief, Seer, and Witch work quite well in the small game. The Village Idiot can also be helpful in the small game, as he can't be lynched by the town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Velasco
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Every version of this game plays best with an odd number of people including the moderator. In other words, an even number of players plus a moderator. That leaves you with an odd number of players to vote after each night so you can't have ties in the voting. It also fixes the situation at the end where the villagers realize that they have lynched the wrong person and they will now lose after the last night because the werewolves who are now safe will kill the last villager overnight.

With a "small" number of players (9?), I think it's best to play the "pure" game with none of the new rolls - two werewolves, one seer, the rest villagers. With 11, you can add one of the special roles. With 13, you can add another. With 15, you can add another. Etc. It's hard enough to be a werewolf.

I don't have "Miller's Hollow". I have the Loony Labs version which is basically the "vanilla" game, and we've played with lots of people without missing the additional roles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gimel Vav wrote:
Every version of this game plays best with an odd number of people including the moderator. In other words, an even number of players plus a moderator. That leaves you with an odd number of players to vote after each night so you can't have ties in the voting.

I agree with your "starting the day with an odd number" of actual players, but since I always, always start with a non-kill night, that means I regard the game as best with an even number of people including the moderator.

I think starting with a non-kill night is vital for the werewolves to discover who their allies are and for the seer to gain a first bit of information, before the lynch mob starts voting.

From your description, I guess you start with the night death of one of the villagers before he or she has had any chance to play in a daytime vote. My werewolf players would "crack the sads" if I tried that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heine
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and game on.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Snake wrote:

I don't know that they did.

In the rules it specifically states that if you have a small game of say 8 players that the moderator should take one of the roles.

How one would accomplish this I don't know. I would tend to agree that 9 is the minimum needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I love BGG for the threads that run for years. It's the 2nd anniversary of this one!

Vormwald1 wrote:
Rainbow Snake wrote:

In the rules it specifically states that if you have a small game of say 8 players that the moderator should take one of the roles.

How one would accomplish this I don't know. I would tend to agree that 9 is the minimum needed.

Errrm, this is the Millers Hollow rules? I've got my set here and can't find anything saying the Moderator should take a role in a small game.

You're right that it doesn't make sense - they know who everyone is so if you start with a no-kill night, or a lynching day, they'd just tell everyone who to kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heine
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and game on.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Snake wrote:
Heh, I love BGG for the threads that run for years. It's the 2nd anniversary of this one!

Vormwald1 wrote:
Rainbow Snake wrote:

Errrm, this is the Millers Hollow rules? I've got my set here and can't find anything saying the Moderator should take a role in a small game.

You're right that it doesn't make sense - they know who everyone is so if you start with a no-kill night, or a lynching day, they'd just tell everyone who to kill.

I love posting on old threads. Fun to see if others still read them.

I have Werewolves of Millers Hollow. On the bottom of page 20, under the Advice to the Moderator section, it states -

"If you have a very small group, the Moderator can also be a player. See our website for details."

I have visited the website and all the links are bad...so I have never understood how one would do as the rules say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.