United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the old joke from Hee-Haw goes:

Patient: "Doc, I broke my arm in 2 places !"
Doc Campbell: "As your doctor, I suggest you avoid those 2 places !"

I have not played this yet, but it seems that part of successful play will revolve around knowing how to minimize the damage of dark cards being played on you.

This means sometimes avoiding the places your where character is open to attacks by dark cards.

If anyone is curious, here are the various ways each chacacter can open him or herself to attacks by dark cards.

Caprice

Being a clone, its best to keep Caprice out of seedy locations. As she cannot control her psychic powers, major locations overwhelm her. Finally if she is without Daniel favors, she is open to attack.

Start of Turn: 5
Enters a Seedy Location: 5
Enters a Major Location: 5
Enters a Seedy Location On Earth: 1
Enters a Location & Caprice has More Dark than Light Cards: 1
Enters Any Location: 1
Enters Any Location & Has Warrant At Jinteki: 1
Daniel Alive & No Daniel Favors: 2
Follows Up a Lead: 1

Raymond
Raymond has trouble wherever he travels. He tends to get bounced out of ritzy locations, gets into fights in seedy locations, and gets drunk if he finds a bar where he happens to be.

Additionally if he has Kate favors or has not found Parsons, he opens himself up to attack.

Parsons is Missing: 3
Enters Location & Has a Kate Favor: 3
Enters a Ritzy Location: 3
Enters Any Location:1
Enters a Nightlife Location: 2
Enters a Ritzy Location on Moon: 1
Enters Seedy Location: 1
Enters Seedy Location on Earth: 1
Start of Turn: 2
Gains a Kate Favor: 1
Uses a Location Ability: 1
Places Evidence on Suspect: 1

Raymond's Memory Cards
Enters the Challenger Memorial Ferry: 1
Starts Turn On Earth: 1
Gets Into Fight on Moon: 1
Draws a Card, Bringing Hand to 7 Cards: 1

Louis
While Sara is Louis's strength, his opponents will attempt to leverage his feelings for her against Louis. As a police office, entering seedy locations is a bad idea for Louis. Louis is also not a big picture guy, and there are two cards which block is attemps to uncover the conspiracy.

Start of Turn: 4
Sara is Alive: 3
Enters Seedy Location: 2
Enters Seedy Location AND Sara Alive: 2
Enters Seedy Location AND Tanaka Alive: 2
Enters Ritzy Location: 1
Follows up A Lead: 1
Places a Lead: 1
Uncovers Conspiracy Piece: 2
Mr Li Alive: 1
Sacrifes Evidence: 1
Enters NAPD: 1

Floyd
As an Android, Floyd has several cards that trigger at the start of his turn, many related to him requiring maintenance. Like Caprice, Floyd wants to avoid seedy locations with humans who hate bioroids. One card cancels Floyds use of a dropship pass, which can cause a headache if he got a dropship pass before making his mandatory Third Directive visit to Haas Bioroid on day 4.

Start of Turn: 9
Father Michael Alive: 1
Father Michael Dead: 1
Enters Any Location & Father Michael Dead: 1
Enters Ritzy Location: 2
Enters Seedy Location: 1
Enters Seedy Location & Father Michael Dead: 1
Enters Seedy Location on Earth: 2
Uses Dropship Pass: 1
Enters Any Location: 1
Plays a Light Card: 1

Rachel
With 12 cards that trigger with start of turn conditions, or from general movement, Rachel is always open to attacks by dark cards.
When her hand of twilight cards is low or has no light cards she is open to additional attacks. If she spends money on cyberware, there are 2 cards that attack that as well.

Start of Turn: 6
Start of Turn AND No Cards: 1
Start of Turn AND Fewer Than 3 Cards : 1
Start of Turn & Captain Beckmann Alive : 1

Enters Seedy Location: 2
Enters Ritzy Location: 2
Enters Any Location: 2
Enters Any Location AND No Light Cards : 1
Enters Any Location AND Fewer Than 3 Cards : 1

Has Cyberware Installed: 1
Uses Cyberware: 1
Follows Up a Lead: 1
Places Evidence: 1

By keeping your characters weaknesses in mind, you have some control over when your opponents can play dark cards on you. You need to weigh whether travelling to a certain location is worth the risk.

Hopefully this guide helps alleviate frustration you might have when you make a move and find you oppents open up with a torrent of dark cards...you are now armed with the knowledge of what allows your opponents to play those cards.

Thats all for now !

-T
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Cubberley
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Useful reading - good effort dude

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, this is pretty useful! What would make it even better is a rough estimate of how bad the different cards are: for example, most of Floyd's "start of turn" cards do nothing if he has no Tech, while Caprice's "enters a seedy location" cards almost all end her turn or lose her time, if I remember rightly. I might try to do this later if I have the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Very useful, but I think I might go one step further and make a complete list of all the light / dark cards a player has. Why?

1. It might help new players to know what is in their deck.
2. It might help experienced players keep track of what is still there and what has gone
3. Its Christmas and I have some free time
4. I'm a complete geek and spend half my life doing things like this!

I'm also probably going to go one step further and list other cards, such as Ray's memory cards. I'd hate to play Ray and not know what cards were possibly out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Burton
United States
Juno Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nice analysis but what do the numbers mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.