Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dramatis Personae, in order of appearance:

Jean, going first, chooses the Chief.
It's hard to separate the engineer in real life from boardgames. (Photo by C Hahn)

I choose Admiral Adama.
I'm not as handsome as Edward James Elmos, but my face isn't lined with so many pocks. (Photo by C Hahn)

Greg chooses Baltar, adding another Not A Cylon card to the mix, but Baltar gets two loyalty cards.
Why would someone choose Baltar? (Photo by C Hahn)

Trevor chooses Sharon, the Asian pilot, and also adds another Not A Cylon card to the mix.
Last time, Trevor avoided being a female pilot, but this game, he appeared to be in touch with his feminine side. (Photo by C Hahn)

In a four player game, there is one Cylon card out of seven, but there is a Sympathizer card dealt out in the second loyalty phase. If none of Galatica's vitals are in the red, the Sympathizer becomes a Cylon, otherwise the Sympathizer becomes a human.

We then deal out the loyalty cards, and as per normal, I hold out both my hands: I Am Not A Cylon.
(Photo by C Hahn)

Someday, I'm sure I will experience what it is to be biomenchanical in nature. When I was a kid, one of my favourite toys was the Cylon Raider, that had two red missiles that protruded half a centimetre when you pressed the fire button. This was for safety reasons, as many kids were accidentally swallowing loose parts. Well, being the devious little kid that I was, I was able to break the mechanism that held the red missiles in place, and I could launch the red missiles a few feet. I don't remember if anyone was impressed, though. But, you are here to read about the board game, not about the brilliance of my youth.

On out first turn, we survived a couple of crisis, and during one crisis resolution, there were three negative cards that counted agains the total. Only Greg, Jean and myself had contributed to the total. Trevor pointed out that he did not contribute any cards. So the question was, assuming two of those cards were from the deck, only Jean or Greg could have added that card. Who was the Cylon?

Our first jump is uneventful. As the Admiral, I pick up a jump 3 and jump 1 destination card, so I choose the jump 3 card, at the cost of a couple fuel.

So far so good, except the nagging question if my mind of who the Cylon is. We pass a crisis on my turn, and one of the rewards of passing the crisis is that I can look at a loyalty card of any one person. I look at Jean's: he is a human, so that means Greg is the Cylon. I am the only one that knows so far, but I keep quiet about Jean's loyalty card.

But then Greg used his Baltar ability ('"Cylon Detector") of once per game to look at my loyalty card, then he says to everyone else that I am a Cylon! I wish I had a BS detector ability . I then had to defend myself, saying what kind of human player in his right mind would blow his Baltar ability in the early game? Jean and Trevor did not seem to know if Greg or I was the Cylon. I can't flip over my loyalty card to prove it. So I am trying to figure out how to lessen's Greg power. I am thinking about stripping the presidency from him to give to someone else, since Adama cannot personally put people in the brig.

Soon, the fleet is jumping again. I chose a jump 2 card that reduced our fuel to the red (fuel is down to 4, I think). That meant the Sympathizer would be human, so we would outnumber the Cylon three to one. But then I thought about something. What if the Sympathizer card ended up in Greg's hand, the unrevealed Cylon?

We hadn't read deep enough in the rules to figure that possibility out. I hoped we didn't have to dig through the rules again. We dealt out the cards. About 30s later, Greg flipped over his Cylon card to validate my assertions. He didn't exactly know how to handle being dealt the Cylon and Sympathizer combination. Being dealt the Sympathizer card meant being put in the brig, so we put Greg in there. Sharon Boomer Valerii's weakness means Trevor is also put in the brig. Greg was going to reveal himself that turn as a Cylon anyways, so the Sympathizer/Cylon combination didn't really hurt our game conditions.

As a revealed Cylon, Greg then draws a Supercrisis card, and goes to Caprica. As humans, we coast to 8 jumps pretty quickly and uneventfully. I thought it would be a quick and easy victory, with no basestars, raiders or heavy raiders in sight. After a jump to 8, we are at: 2 fuel, 5 food , 5 morale, and population 8. We need one more fianl jump to win. I took over the vacated presidency now, went on board the civilian ship and drew quorum cards.

Then the toasters took over. A crisis card put two basestars onto the board, with some raiders. We launch vipers and put Trevor out there to protect the civilian ships. Then Greg puts down the supercrisis card , a 24 needing to pass, and activates base stars and raiders. We foolishly try to pass the Supercrisis, getting to a value of 18 and losing all our cards. Earlier in the game, I had blown Adama's once per game ability of retrieving all the cards used in a skill check, and boy, was I regretting it now.

Trevor gets shot up and sent to sick bay. I revive him using the green card, "executive order" to get him out of sick bay, and back onto a Viper.
(Photo by Ryan Gatti).

We would get caught in a vicious cycle, since he would get shot up by the 16 or so raiders outside Galactica. We would try our bestto hold off the raiders, destroying three via a "Use of brutal force" quorum card and Trevor had a tactics card that lets him fire four times. But it is not enough. Greg has damaged our vipers pretty bad through lucky dice rolls, hitting 4 or 5 times in a row. We have one available viper, and 6 are damaged.

Galactica is a 1 fuel, 5 food, 4 morale and 2 population now, losing all but four civilian ships. There are three centurions onboard Galactica. Galactica has taken 5 hits out of 6. Greg, the Cylon gets a card to activate all 16 raiders OR fire his 2 basestars twice. He needs one 8 out of the 16 dice with the raiders, or a 5/6/7/8 with four rolls with the base starts. He chose the basestars. I thought we were toast. Greg rolled a '3'. Then he rolled a '1'. Then he rolled a '3'. Finally he rolled a '2'.

So miraculously , we got another turn. Our flight jump is at a potential loss of 3 population. Trevor argues that we should risk a 50/50 jump, since he has a card that gives us +2 on the dice roll when rolling for the population loss, so it becomes a 50% chance of making rather than the one in four. This instead of flipping up more crisis cards. It is Jean's turn. I tell Jean to executive order me, and I tell them I'll try to increase our chances of survival. So Jean executive orders me, I play the scout ship card (sacrifice a raptor ship, roll higher than 3 to look at the crisis card, then choose to put it on the bottom). Luckily we have 2 raptor ships left. I roll an '6', so I look at the crisis card. It is a benign one that causes us to lose a morale, but more importantly, advance on the jump track. So we take the crisis card, and now our potential loss in population is only 1 now. We jump, I roll an '8' and Galactica is saved!

All this excitement, when I thought we were going to coast easily to victory, to when we were four easy die rolls away from losing. Greg didn't seem to be disappointed in losing via the dice rolls. He did admit he was lucky when using the raiders to fire at the vipers, and thought the dice rolls averaged out in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
I would've flipped the doubling cube prior to rolling to force my opponant to concede...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gibbs
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game summary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:
Greg, the Cylon gets a card to activate all 16 raiders OR fire his 2 basestars twice. He needs one 8 out of the 16 dice with the raiders, or a 5/6/7/8 with four rolls with the base starts. He chose the basestars.

I don't think there is such a card.

The closest possibility are some cylon attack cards that have the raiders attack, or have the basestars attack. And the Cylon fleet space lets them do that too.

No card gives a choice like that, and no card lets basestars attack twice. I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He would have been better off firing the raiders. 1/8 * 16 and 1/2 * 4 both yield an average of 2 hits, but rolling 16 times sharpens the curve (makes it less likely you'll get an outlying result of 0 hits).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Raquet
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SiddGames wrote:
He would have been better off firing the raiders. 1/8 * 16 and 1/2 * 4 both yield an average of 2 hits, but rolling 16 times sharpens the curve (makes it less likely you'll get an outlying result of 0 hits).

i think you are looking at the wrong statistic. it isnt about the average number of hits, you only care about your chances of getting at least one hit. the chance of a raider not hitting is 7/8, to the power of 16=0.1181 or 11.81% chance that all shots miss. basestars only miss 1/2 the time, to the 4th power for four shots=0.0625 or 6.25% chance that all 4 shots miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blush

/me hides his statistics badge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurtreznor wrote:
SiddGames wrote:

i think you are looking at the wrong statistic. it isnt about the average number of hits, you only care about your chances of getting at least one hit. the chance of a raider not hitting is 7/8, to the power of 16=0.1181 or 11.81% chance that all shots miss. basestars only miss 1/2 the time, to the 4th power for four shots=0.0625 or 6.25% chance that all 4 shots miss.

This is correct.

You have a 6.25% chance of no hits with four 50% chances, but an 11.8% chance of no hits with sixteen 1/8 chances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, basestars also hit on 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Norbert Chan wrote:
Greg, the Cylon gets a card to activate all 16 raiders OR fire his 2 basestars twice. He needs one 8 out of the 16 dice with the raiders, or a 5/6/7/8 with four rolls with the base starts. He chose the basestars.

I don't think there is such a card.

The closest possibility are some cylon attack cards that have the raiders attack, or have the basestars attack. And the Cylon fleet space lets them do that too.

No card gives a choice like that, and no card lets basestars attack twice. I think.

Sean, you are correct. What happened was that Greg got two rolls on my crisis card, and then used Cylon fleet on his turn to take two more rolls. So with my crisis card (which gave a choice of raider attack or basestar attack), and using the Cylon fleet on his turn, Greg did the math beforehand to choose the four basestar rolls.

Thanks for catching that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
By the way, basestars also hit on 4.

Yes, I think we were playing they hit on a 4/5/6/7/8. I have never been a Cylon, so I can't remember what you need to roll.

Thanks for taking the time to read and correcting errors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Pham
United States
Whittier
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Did you guys try moving the civilian ships around to make the raiders chase them? Or were there just too many raiders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanigan wrote:
Did you guys try moving the civilian ships around to make the raiders chase them? Or were there just too many raiders?

Anthony: As far as I know, civilian ships cannot move. They are just sitting ducks for the raiders. It might be more realistic if the rules allowed them to move, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Davis
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:
Vanigan wrote:

Anthony: As far as I know, civilian ships cannot move. They are just sitting ducks for the raiders. It might be more realistic if the rules allowed them to move, though.

Check out the "Communication" space on Galactica. "Look at the back of 2 civilian ships. You may then move them to adjacent area(s)."

Also a fun thing for an unrevealed, but about to reveal, Cylon to do with that Executive Order you unfortunately gave him....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ckdckd wrote:
Norbert Chan wrote:
Vanigan wrote:

Check out the "Communication" space on Galactica. "Look at the back of 2 civilian ships. You may then move them to adjacent area(s)."

Also a fun thing for an unrevealed, but about to reveal, Cylon to do with that Executive Order you unfortunately gave him....

Thanks for pointing that out, Christopher. We have played two games, and no one has ever gone to the "Communication" space. It's like the spaces on the Cylon ship, since I haven't been a Cylon, I only really know what two of the spaces do. Now people are going to be suspicious when I spend more time reading those boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanigan wrote:

Anthony: Just to answer you question, there were 16 raiders on the board, and we only had one usable viper left. Galactica got surrounded by 2 basestars, 16 raiders and two heavy raiders. I didn't know about the Communications space that allows you to move civilian ships, but that was the least of our worries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.