5 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » General

Subject: Stealing cities....advice required rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
craig mumford
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Can someone please clarify if this is a legitimate move in Carcassonne, we are playing the basic game with no expansions.

If my opponent is developing a city with one follower (meeple) on for example, can i then place an adjoining city tile and put one of my own followers on and therefore share spoils, also if we carry on developing the city with one follower each, can i then hang around and then finish the city with one 'completing' tile and place a second follower on this last tile therefore stealing all the points ?

This is how we have been playing and my girlfriend thinks it may be wrong because i end up stealing all her points, maybe thats just how it should be played ha ha !

Any help would be cool...ta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Mabie
United States
Oxford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barring rules specifying otherwise (ie, the Count) you...

* cannot place any meeple (except the Builder or Pig meeples) on anything which already has another meeple (yours or another players) on it.

* can connect two separate things which already have meeples of their own.

What you're describing above sounds illegal.

Say your girlfriend has a meeple on a city. You can place a tile on that city, even complete it, but cannot place a meeple on that same city.

But you can start a different city that's not directly connected to it, and then in a later turn connect the two cities. This would result in you each having 1 meeple on it (unless it's the Mayor, which counts as 1xpennant -- which might make it a 0, if there's no pennants -- or a Big meeple, which is 2). Having equal numbers of meeples results in a tie, and both share the same score.

Or you can start two different cities that are not connected to the original city or each other, place two meeples on them as you build them (separately), and then in later turns connect all three cities, which would result in you having 2 > her 1.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you are playing incorrectly. You can not place a meeple on a tile that was added to city that contains a meeple, whether yours or an opponents. You can, however, place a tile that starts a new city, place a meeple on it, and then on a subsequent turn place a tile that would join the two cities together into one larger city. Thus, it is still possible to share or take another player's city, but it is a bit harder than you are currently playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Evans
Canada
Nobleton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you only specifically asked about stealing city features, does this mean that you've been using the correct meeple-placing rules for roads and farms, but not for cities?

googoogoo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
You can pay this site a visit: www.carcassonnecentral.com

You will be able to obtain latest download of Matt Harper's Completely Annotated Rules for Carcassonne and all it's expansions, which will help you in your Carcassonne games. Questions welcome on the forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.