Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
An idea I had for a simple variant that would make it less of a no-brainer to always grow your family, and which is also biologically justified:

To use a family growth space, you have to place two workers on it at once (preferably the farmer and his wife!).

I think it would still be worth growing your family early, because the new baby would more than replace the two actions you used to make it. But it would mean growing late wouldn't necessarily be desirable, because it would only get you 1.5 points per action instead of 3.

Apologies if someone's suggested this rather obvious idea before; I couldn't see it scanning through the titles of the variant threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you assume it takes only one action to get a family growth but thats wrong. in fact you need wood, wood, reed, build, family growth. that is 5 actions not counting start player which is often needed as well. you canot even sensefully calculate VP/action for the fg w/o space IMO unless you do it in last round.

i see no benefit in needing 2 peeps for fg. as shown and as you said yourself it won't matter in the decision wether to make an early fg or not. all it does is it takes one action. fewer actions available = fewer decisions to be made = less challenge. IMO variants should increase the challenge or the fun factor of thr game. as shown the first is not true and i don't see how losing one action increases the fun.

that leaves the question for the late fg w/o space. yes it's one of the best actions in the game. would be boring if all actions were the same, wouldn't it? this action is something to fight for and therefore increases the challenge.

the general agricola is so balanced that messing with basics like fg rules will usually be bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the logic here isn't that two people are indisposed because they are trying to make a baby. It's that one is not available for otherwise normal farming duties because she is pregnant and incapable of taking care of them.

qwertymartin wrote:
An idea I had for a simple variant that would make it less of a no-brainer to always grow your family, and which is also biologically justified:

To use a family growth space, you have to place two workers on it at once (preferably the farmer and his wife!).

I think it would still be worth growing your family early, because the new baby would more than replace the two actions you used to make it. But it would mean growing late wouldn't necessarily be desirable, because it would only get you 1.5 points per action instead of 3.

Apologies if someone's suggested this rather obvious idea before; I couldn't see it scanning through the titles of the variant threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The baby's already made.

The action space just represents the final period of the pregnancy and delivery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Cassidy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
The baby's already made.

The action space just represents the final period of the pregnancy and delivery.

Haha, that's a whole other political, humanitarian and ethical debate for a whole other place. Perhaps you meant the fetus is already made?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're going to do this, do we need to keep track of the gender of the family members? (And make sure that only Mommy and Daddy have a baby?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't need to be a mother and a father. What if the two farmers you start the game with are siblings? Family Growth could represent contacting a third sibling from the next village to come and live with you. They only eat one food if they arrive just before the harvest, because they brought a packed lunch with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Balfa wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
The baby's already made.

Haha, that's a whole other political, humanitarian and ethical debate for a whole other place. Perhaps you meant the fetus is already made?

I think he meant what he said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.