United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming it's even possible. I'm thinking if it is, some kind of "I owe you" system could be put in place. Otherwise, curious about other ideas. Mathematical ones are welcome, but I sure as hell wouldn't get much of them if at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing, based on your microbadges, that this is at least partially a RftG question. In more general terms, I'd assume it's a "draw x, keep y" mechanic, where y x, I would say that you draw x cards and keep them, with no future credit.

Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
I'm guessing, based on your microbadges, that this is at least partially a RftG question. In more general terms, I'd assume it's a "draw x, keep y" mechanic, where y x, I would say that you draw x cards and keep them, with no future credit.

Ian

I agree. If y is greater than x, then you would just keep all x cards if you don't have any cards in your hand. There are many variants of this type of rule in Magic the Gathering. For instance,

--Draw 2 cards, Discard 3 -- so you have to have at least 2 cards in your hand to make it worthwhile.

In the rule the OP mentioned though, it could be something like draw 6 cards and keep 7 cards. If you have 3 cards you in your hand, then you will have to decide which 2 to discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Deagan
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Is that the entire context?

If there are any other mechanisms for obtaining cards, or there are variant requirements about the disposal of cards then the draw number and the retention number are decoupled.

Of course, Fluxx just counts on you playing more rules and changing the numbers anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
revtim wrote:
Is that the entire context?

If there are any other mechanisms for obtaining cards, or there are variant requirements about the disposal of cards then the draw number and the retention number are decoupled.

Of course, Fluxx just counts on you playing more rules and changing the numbers anyway.
Happens there too. Not an issue since if you have to play more cards than you have/will draw to, you just play as much as you can and then end your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Just start the game with some number of cards and be able to only play 'n' cards on a turn. It works easily after that....

Start with 3 cards. Draw 3 cards, keep 4. So now you have 4 cards. Play 2 cards on your turn. Now you have 2. Draw 3 cards, keep 4. Now you have 4. Continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.