Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
How do you suppose this senario of game play would pan out.

Play will all of the cards.

Set up would be like this:

Money, curse, VP cards would be placed as normal.

The Kindom cards would be separated by cost, ie all cards that cost 2 would be put together and shuffled, just as would all other kingdom cards in the same manner.

The kingdom cards would be placed out in cost order only would be placed upside down, and you would purchase the cards as normal.

Remaining game play would stay the same.

I realize this would create more randomness, but wouldn't this capture the flavor of a real CCG? And would be more newbie friendly.

What are your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have thought that the essence of Dominion is planning which cards to buy that fit in with your strategy (with the knowledge of which cards you are buying). Your variant would remove all of that and the game would be reduced to deciding how best to play your hand which is usually obvious. I suppose it could be more newbie friendly, but as it takes the main element of the game out, I wouldn't want to try it.

I'm not sure how this would capture the favour of a CCG, because, like in Dominion, they are also about assembling decks with preknowledge of which cards you are putting in, so if anything this variant would have less CCG flavour (not that I think they are very similar anyway because of the fact that the deckbuilding in Dominion is at "play" time, rather than "pre play")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I just wanted to know peoples opinion's on a thought that crossed my mind. Now that I think about it, it was a stupid thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it be more playable to have a small number of stacks of each cost, face up, but you can only buy the top card off of a stack? Then you can see what cards are available, and try to put together a strategy...but if somebody else buys a key card before you, you may need to rethink things!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Wouldn't it be more playable to have a small number of stacks of each cost, face up, but you can only buy the top card off of a stack? Then you can see what cards are available, and try to put together a strategy...but if somebody else buys a key card before you, you may need to rethink things!

or shuffle all same-cost cards together, then deal out 3 face-up of each card Ticket To Ride/Web of Power style. You can buy either one of the face-up cards, which is replaced immediately, or buy blind off the top of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

People sort of beat me to this I think, I've been musing on our Dominion game of last night.

Set up of VP cards and curse as normal, but shuffle all the Kingdom cards in play and deal out face up stacks of Kingdom cards (5 for 4-players, 4 for 3 and 2 player games).

Players can only buy the cards on the top of a stack. Any duplicates are trashed.

Even if cards are too expensive to buy it means play forces people to buy gold.

Just a thought or a variation to play other than selecting you set of Kingdom cards.

I agree with the statement about how this detaches from the 'planned' approach of Dominion, but it would get away from players who ALWAYS (and I now know how annoying this can be) build the same deck EVERYTIME, forcing you to build the counterdeck EVERYTIME or just copy what they do or lose!

I really like Dominion, but I may have spotted the trick.

CHRIS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.