Subject: Best way to fix this game into a good game..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rion Hanson
United States
Juneau
AK
flag msg tools
Man I really want this game to be good, and I know it can with some fixes. So now that alot of you have played with different variants such as those discussed in this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/345649

Which ones have worked the best?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That would depend on what you want out of the game.

Apart from the rulebook, I think the game is pretty fun as-is...

Right now there seem to be two major concerns:
1. The game is too random for some. For instance, opening a crypt and finding a bunch of unguarded treasure or getting a sound beating.

2. The game is too easy. I think this may be a symptom of 1 actually since the game is only too easy when you build, and the only reason to build is to minimize your risk of getting a sound beating.

3. The game is not immersive. Well, it wasn't designed to be, but there are some mods you can do to make it moreso!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it needs fixing. It just needs an extensive FAQ to patch up the rulebook... and it has that now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the game is fun as it is.... but to fix the problems that are mentioned here you COULD try these ideas:

1) seperate the tomb cards into treasures, traps, and monsters. Draw one of each for your 1st hand... place one in a crypt, then discard the other 2 and draw one of each for your next hand.... repeat until the board is stocked... (this fixes when the players draw MOSTLY one type of card... I have had games where we drew almost all traps.

2) setup as above, draw one of each, AFTER LOOKING at them, randomize them and place one in a crypt. Then discard the others WITHOUT LOOKING

3) totally randomize the cards when stocking the crypts... this way noone knows what is where.

4) stock crypts per the origional rules, but when one person places a card, the NEXT player gets to choose which room it goes into.

5) each player draws a treasure or monster card. secretly write it down. This is YOUR quest.... put this card in a pile and deal enough cards into the pile to fill the board. Shuffle, these are the cards to stock the crypt with.... fill the board, and play until either a) the first quest is filled, or b) all quests are filled. When the goal is reached, the game is over. score per the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So far I like... (listed by "problem" #)

1.1 Sleave Monsters, Traps, and Treasure in different colored sleaves. The Hounds of Mourn should be sleaved as a Treasure. Players know much more about what to expect and can plan more of a strategy this way. For more randomness you can sleave Monsters and Traps together.

Works well with random setup.

1.2 Double the number of cards in each crypt. More cards means that you follow the distribution in the deck more closely. This makes the game harder as well...

1.3 Treasure may not be banked at all. With option 1, you can loot treasure only crypts as an alternative to drawing.

2. There are many solutions for making the game harder, I don't think it is really a problem at all. If the game is less random it encourages more precisely planned use of available resources, which is really what the game is about in a lot of ways (granted those resources are risk and time)!

3.1 Institute the KO rule. Whenever a character would die, he is KO'd instead. A KO'd character stays in the party but may not take any actions and all traits on the character and attached cards are ignored. Whenever you use the Return to Inn (flee) action, all KO'd members in your party die and all attached cards are discarded.

If you use this rule, I would allow you to discard party members (along with all thier attached cards). The character is not considered dead, but you should add another character to the Inn.

3.2 No cards may be swapped between characters.

3.3 Add "bosses". Bosses add a special effect at all times, and may or may not be encountered one or more times in the Tomb itself...

For instance:
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UMBALA the DARK PRIEST
Confront: When a party raids a Crypt, add Umbala (stats per Umbala) if the current crypt has more cards in it than any other. Whenever Umbala would attach a prayer, the CM shuffles the prayer discard pile into the prayer deck then draws and discards prayers until he finds one with an action that can be used in battle, or until there are no more prayer cards in the deck.

Umbala may not be targeted while there are other monsters in the same crypt.

Umbala leaves the crypt (and may show up in a different one) if he is not killed before the end of the turn, discard his attached cards as normal.

Lair Effects: Whenever a non-Skeleton monster is killed, add a Skeleton (stats per Skeleton) to the Crypt. Skeletons remain in Crypts that are not successfully raided as normal (use tokens).
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Balance is pretty easy for these so long as the effects apply to everyone equally... the more unique the effect the better!

Again, I don't think there is anything wrong with the base game as is (although I do like to tinker!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rion Hanson
United States
Juneau
AK
flag msg tools
My main issue is trying to fix the wait in the tavern while making an uber character thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin G
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
nitroburn1 wrote:
My main issue is trying to fix the wait in the tavern while making an uber character thing.

This is my main issue with the game. In my play sessions, the players routinely decide to hang out in the inn until they have 4-5 characters with 3 items. The game then devolves into a just running through the dungeon and clearing out crypts with a really limited chance for death occuring.

So, the blacksmith deck is really the tipping point of the game.

Items that I have been thinking about and might try running a solo game with just to see how they change the game

1. Players can draw no more than 2 blacksmith cards for the game.

2. When monsters are revealed, for every 4 XP of monsters, draw 1 item card. CM determines which monsters use any of the items. Empty out the crypt, you can keep the items. Items must be equipped or discarded. Upon character death, items are dropped and left in the crypt. If the raiding party leaves, items are left there. Upon the next party entering the crypt, the CM can equip monsters with any discarded equipment.

3. CM determines which monsters defending.

4. For each additional defense that a monster or character does, character receives 1 wound. So, that tank that you have with 8 Hps blocking 3 guys would take 2 wounds in addition to any combat done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question: I just got this game and have not had a chance to play it yet. I have been reading all of the strings and suggestions for house rules etc. Based upon what I have seen or heard as well as some solo play testing, I came up with my own house rule and was curious if anyone tried this.

For the most part I limited the draw action to two per each trip to the inn. Before you would be allowed to take another draw action at the inn, you either need to have completed a battle against monsters or raided a crypt.

Just Curious what everyone thinks of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin G
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
afrag wrote:
For the most part I limited the draw action to two per each trip to the inn. Before you would be allowed to take another draw action at the inn, you either need to have completed a battle against monsters or raided a crypt.

Just Curious what everyone thinks of this?

I'd be tempted to see how that works, but to increase it to a minimum of a level 2 (or even 3) crypt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier D.
France
Brulain
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with a semi-random distribution as follows (Tomb + Cryptmaster) :

- Separate crypt cards into 2 decks (treasures in 1 deck, all nasties in the second)

- Fill all crypts with random nasties (up to their maximum size).

- Add 1 random treasure to size 2 and size 3 crypts
- Add 2 random treasures to and size 4 and size 5 crypts
- Add +3xp tokens to size 1 crypts (or have people add a card worth 3xp to their bank from the decks when they clear a size 1 crypt)

This greatly speeds up the tomb setup, and guarantees a "balanced" challenge/reward ratio.

Haven't tried any character recruitment variant yet, but might try a 1 out of random 3 next time (reading all the text is so time consuming).

-Mildaene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.