Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Vantiem
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure that we all can name an investigator or two who don't fit well with our game style, and then again, I'm sure that would be much debate on that end of the scale.

Therefore, let's just look at not the best or the worst, but our favorite character to play.

This site has a good summary: http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Investigator

For me, Luke can be a lot of fun if I can get him a couple nice items:

I also like Diana Stanley, and not because she's fairly formidable, but more for the back story:

From the base game, Pete is a favorite. You gotta love a guy and his dog:

There are many more, but I thought it might be fun to see what everyone's favorite is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Herold
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Diamond. There's an ongoing gag, with the people I normally play with, that involves him being cut from the Police force for not following the rules, which is why he's a private investigator now. This leads to someone, often multiple someones, yelling at some point "You're a loose cannon, Diamond!"

Besides that, he has an awesome name, starts with a gun, and 3 clue tokens. Love, love, love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think we should put some qualifiers in here? Maybe who is your favorite from AH, Dunwich and/or Kingsport?

So far, I've enjoyed playing Vincent Lee; he's not too good in a scrap (a physical fight, that is) but, he can spell-cast and with a little help to his speed (ally, map or motorcycle), he can get around quickly. Although I have both DH and KH, I haven't used any investigators from either, yet. So, I can't comment on which from those sets I'd enjoy playing.

aloha,
Hawaiiirish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian J. Hotovec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two favorites are already listed, but I'll cast votes for both "Ashcan" Pete and Joe Diamond. I think Pete is just a cool character and can be a nice monster fighter. Joe is a really good gate closer with his stats and ability--he's probably my top favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Rex Murphy — even though he's cursed he's a total clue machine, and it's not too hard to get a blessing. I pair him with Darrell Simmons (chooses from two Arkham encounter cards) for the journalism dream team!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Diamond is my favorite. 1 clue for 2 dice is fantastic.

Jenny Barnes is a close second. The girl can become a tank quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Gloria Goldberg. I have this uncanny habit of drawing her randomly; I think I've played her half a dozen times out of the 30-odd games we've played this year. I take this as a sign; she chooses me.

Familiarity aside, Gloria's special ability suits my play style well. I enjoy being the clue-collector, the worlds-explorer, and the gate-closer. (I leave the barrel-riding to others, though.) Gloria's ability to avoid the worst of the Other Worlds encounters makes that a lot easier and more effective.

I also have a soft spot for writers of all sorts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy rogers
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Drake is my favorite. He's so cool that, even being the magician character, he doesn't have to be good at magic. Besides, he's the only character that wears a top hat.

I love that idea of Diamond being a loose cannon, though. Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time for me to chime in, with a choice that probably won't be seconded .

Sister Mary cool !

Yes, that's right, the Nun. And no, I don't even use any of the suggested houserules for her (regarding her getting to use Clue(s) to reroll her Blessing). In fact, in one game I even forgot to give her the Blessing to start off with and she still rocked. Of course, when I'm playing her, she seems to keep her Blessing minimum 75% of the game, at least twice she's kept it to the final combat (still remember her bitch-slapping Yig around with Father Iwanacki (can't be Cursed) and 2x .45 Automatic after keeping her Blessing the whole game). 7 Sanity let's you miss Horror checks and still not get flipped out. Personal favourite though is the Luck/Lore set. Either set at max of 4 gives you 3 on the other, which is generally enough to at least roll 1 die for those encounters. Her Cross usually gets passed to the weakest Sanity char (I seem to draw Michael McGlen or Mark Harrigan quite often with Mary). 2 random Spells can either be "meh", or turn her into a real powerhouse. Her main lack is no random Common or Unique item. Okay, her special ability doesn't really rock, but against Yig or Yog Sothoth it's nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:

Sister Mary cool !

Yes, that's right, the Nun. And no, I don't even use any of the suggested houserules for her (regarding her getting to use Clue(s) to reroll her Blessing).

I was going to say Sister Mary. What's your house rule for her? We just say she does't have to roll for her blessing full stop, and can only lose it to a curse. I guess that makes her kick ass a bit too much but, hey, we're all on the same side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:

Sister Mary cool !

Yes, that's right, the Nun. And no, I don't even use any of the suggested houserules for her (regarding her getting to use Clue(s) to reroll her Blessing).

I was going to say Sister Mary. What's your house rule for her? We just say she does't have to roll for her blessing full stop, and can only lose it to a curse. I guess that makes her kick ass a bit too much but, hey, we're all on the same side.

First, hands off, she's mine ! Mine, I tells ya!

Second, I don't use any houserules for Sister Mary, I play RAW (rules as written). She rolls for Blessing as normal, no reroll with Clues (as was a houserule suggested by Kevin Wilson IIRC).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Greendan wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:

Sister Mary cool !

First, hands off, she's mine ! Mine, I tells ya!

Second, I don't use any houserules for Sister Mary, I play RAW (rules as written). She rolls for Blessing as normal, no reroll with Clues (as was a houserule suggested by Kevin Wilson IIRC).

Being a Nun, I'm sure she'll find time to fit us both in. I miss read your first post there.

I also like that Luke: The Dreamer fellow. If you can get him the Find Gate spell he totally owns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Vantiem
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sister Mary can easily turn into a monster killing machine. Have her meet up with someone with some cash or a good weapon at the general store on turn 1, and she's on a mission from God after that. As for the blessing, the only house rule that we have is that for anyone, the first roll to keep your blessing doesn't count (you have to roll it, because more often than not, you roll a 1 that first time).

Lily Chen is also one of the most powerful characters in the game IMO. Her Martial Arts skill makes her a real asset out of the box, especially to physical/magical imunity:

Having a +6 to a +9 to combat without having to use a weapon is amazing. Plus, her ability to cycle health/stamina gives her a natural haling ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amadcow2 wrote:
Having a +6 to a +9 to combat without having to use a weapon is amazing. Plus, her ability to cycle health/stamina gives her a natural haling ability.

How do you come by +6 to +9, I take it you're adding bonus with your Fight?

Of course, I hate KH for many reasons, Martial Arts being definately one of them (Daisy is and will always be #1 though). Against resistant monsters, leaving hands empty is same as packing 2x .38 (or .45)/2x Wither??? Then you have your Marie Lambeau case. IMO, Martial Arts should be subject to resistances/immunities in some way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Vantiem
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
How do you come by +6 to +9, I take it you're adding bonus with your Fight?

Lily's fight skill goes from 2 to 5.

Martial Arts adds to your combat check a straight +2 for every empty hand (so +4 without a weapon).

Therefore for every combat check, Lily has a natural 6 to 9 combat depending on where you set focus.

So, let's say you have a Warlock at that first gate:

Lily can run in with her fight set at 5 (because with her focus ability, failing this horror check is nothing), and roll 6 dice, giving a 65% chance of downing it on the first throw.

Our group is enjoying KH, even though one character gets relegated to being the rift monkey. However, that's not a bad role for the right character. The encounters up in Kingsport can help feed the other investigators, especially if you have some characters with a high degree of mobility (or the Deputy). One game, Harvy was the rift monkey for the game and the encounters that he had up in Kingsport all tended to be very funny, where he was wooing older women, inappropriately hanging around the High School, and other encounters that amused us all during that game. KH can add a lot of flavor to the game, but I can also see why people don't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hmmm... Interesting. Last time this question was asked the overall favourite seemed to be Darrel Simmons (the photographer and my personal favorite), whilst the least popular was Sister Mary (the nun). Now it seems Joe Diamond is one of the most played characters whilst Mary has risen up from the rank of least liked character.

My second most played character after Simmons has to be Mark Harrigan (the soldier). He can't take any frights whatsoever with his rubbish sanity, but you can run up to pretty much any single monster and toast it without too much hassle (physically immune/resistant monsters being the only issue). Not to mention one of the best abilities of all- not been delayed.

We always joke that the Historical Society is the most boring place in Arkham- almost all encounters seem to envolve elderly gentlemen talking about "back in the year whatever when they went on that long and drawn out story" and causing your character to be delayed because of them falling asleep/zoneing out/whatever. We always joke that Mark just kicks them out of the way, takes what he needs and throws himself out of a window! It makes Over World encounters a breeze too:- "There are monsters everywhere, stay here next turn." "No thanks!". goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Budgie Meeple
Australia
Budgietown : )
Budgie
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think we found a winning team with the base game laugh

Joe Diamond, Michael McGlen, Gloria Goldberg and Jenny Barnes. Joe Diamond is good for anything and Michael McGlen is an absolute monster killing machine. Gloria's special ability makes her excellent for going through gates and Jenny is always shopping for elder signs...we haven't lost for ages. googoo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clarke
United Kingdom
St Albans
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll put in a vote for Amanda Sharpe. Not that she's particularly powerful or anything, but I like the versatility (she has all her sliders at 1-4 and a focus of 3). Pity she starts off too poor to afford any classes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sister Mary rocks, even though I don't seem to do well with her. But I have a fondness for Gloria, mostly because she was my favorite in the old edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always such a loaded question...so much criteria that can be used or ignored...but I've found that when I draw randomly, I'm always really really REALLY happy that I drew Darrell Simmons. He's fast, he's a great fighter with decent Will stats, and his Special Ability is soooo good to me. Not to mention he feeds my inner child's Spider-Man fantasies.

If we're compartmentalizing...Dunwich: when I first started playing DH, I would have said Leo, as his backstory, ability, and random Ally are all appealing and useful. But after many games, I surprise myself a bit by finding that I really love to play Marie. Against common sanity, I LIKE SPELLS, and Marie can be such an interesting hoot in combat. Good Speed, great Will, and that Doom Token thing can be a GOO-BREAKER. Marvelous backstory!

Kingsport: Ya know...that Daisy thing kinda wears off after a while. I find myself trying to RESIST using her Livre d'Ivon to BREAK the game, and grabbing something simple (like Shrivelling). I have trouble enjoying Lily (who I quite love as a fish-out-of-Lovecraft character) because the back of my brain won't let me forget I could be playing her wrong. So it turns out...even though I couldn't figure her out without other forumites showing me the way...I love Wendy! Once I was able to suppress my instincts to fight monsters in my way and just leave that for the "grown-ups", I finally realized Wendy the Gate-Sealing MACHINE. When the surges come fast and furious, and the roads are crawling with all manner of tooth and claw and...whatever the hell that is, Wendy has the speed and the stealth to zip from Gate to Clue to Gate while everyone else panics about Horror Checks and Injury cards. I adore it when this little mite gets her hands on a motorcycle!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.