United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I picked up Talisman Revised 4th and Reaper expansion the other day. After going through everything and bagging it all I didn't need the Reaper box anymore. I went to throw it away...

But it's a nice box. Good art, nice and sturdy. But I don't see any reason to use it.

I put Descent and all of its expansions (minus RtL) into a big Plano box. I think I threw everything away except for the big main box.

Same for Arkham Horror. Everything I have (which is everything) fits into the base box, plus the DH box, plus one of the small boxes as a monster cup.

But I DID keep those boxes for a long time before I needed the space. Then I went through and threw away all the old, unused Carcassonne boxes, AH boxes, Descent, and many others.

What about you? Do you have the heart to throw away a box that you're not using any more, whether its an expansion you keep in the base box, or a game you've boxed in something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the title of your thread is making me hyperventilate, I'll have to go with NO!

Anyone got a brown paper bag?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deborahjeanne wrote:
Since the title of your thread is making me hyperventilate, I'll have to go with NO!

Right with you there. I want more than anything to throw away the TTR: Switzerland box...and I can't do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sacrilege.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
I've been offline from BGG for the last couple of weeks, but I'll be back very soon!
badge
I'm that weirdo that keeps track of how many badges Kaffedrake has sold prior to yesterday
mb
pusherman42 wrote:
Subject: Do you throw game boxes away?

Forgive him, he knows not what he says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Miczek
United States
Saratoga Springs
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deborahjeanne wrote:

Sorry, I'm using minegulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Batten
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
B L A S P H E M E R !!!

Okay, now that my reflex response is done with. I'd have to say that I can't seem to part with the game boxes. I know that in many cases I could easily just ditch them (Runebound (Second Edition) expansion decks?) but some part of me just can't part with them.

I guess that unless you want to sell or trade the game expansions at some point there's really no need to keep them. Hopefully your post will move me a little toward becoming less 'packratty'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently threw away inserts for the first time. Inserts. (Red November was too crowded, and Pandemic's was just plain useless.)

I have a long way to go before I start throwing boxes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can now throw out the thingys that are left after you punch out the tiles..... (I used to hide my need to keep them behind giving them to my kids to use for stencils).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just haven't screwed up my courage to do it yet though, as someone else posted, I did throw a few INSERTS away this year!!!!!! (Major breakthrough!)

At my age and level of basement clutter, I have some boxes that will likely have to go at some point. I'm building up to it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion boxes go away if the contents fit in the main box.

Inserts go away if the expansion components do not fit in the main box with the insert in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Only if the game box contains a sprawling cat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Battiste
United States
Irmo
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it is with a huge pang of regret every time we do it, we do throw away game boxes. I think it has a lot to do with the collecting side of the hobby that makes us so reluctant to throw them out. I mean, they are nice boxes! They look good, they make the collection look good... Unfortunately we just don't have room for all the expansion boxes in our tiny house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pow
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
How about now?
badge
Steve SMASH!
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
Expansion boxes go away if the contents fit in the main box.

Inserts go away if the expansion components do not fit in the main box with the insert in place.

Sums up the way I do things too. Games take up enough dang space, why not do a little to save it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ooopsss....

I'm a baaaaddd boooy...

I've thrown out all the Carc expansion boxes.

I threw out the box for Hive.

I threw out the box for Merlin's Company.

I threw out the box for all of the Munchkin expansions. (Yes I kept the game as I enjoy it from time to time).

Should have some armor or something on now that I have made this admission on here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GIBattiste wrote:
I think it has a lot to do with the collecting side of the hobby that makes us so reluctant to throw them out.

Absolutely. Although I suppose some would also point to resale value.

For me, Talisman expansion stuff: in Talisman box.
Talisman expansion boxes: in closet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a lot of expansion boxes in my closet, because the contents fitted in the main game box and the expansion box was not necessary. However, I will continue to save them in case I ever sell the game off. (Not likely, but you never know.)

The only box I got rid of was Zombie Fluxx. The cards just don't fit very well in the box, especially with the flamethrower mini-expansion. I bought a nice wooden Fluxx box from Looney Labs to hold the game. On a side note, Looney Labs did a much better job packaging Monty Python Fluxx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I throw boxes away all the time, and not just for expansions either. Somtimes I'll put similarly themed games into the same box and then throw one away. For example, I have put Urland and Primordial Soup into the same box, then I threw the Urland box away. Presto! Two games in the space of one. Although sometimes I struggle to find a game I am looking for. I once forgot that I stored my Tichu deck in my Gang of Four box.

The bonus is that sometimes I find games that I forgot I owned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Webb
United States
Verona
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Let's Go Pens!
badge
One more win...Beat the Sharks!
mbmbmbmbmb
One big reason I keep my boxes is for taking them places.

For example, I have my Settlers of Catan stuff in a nice wooden box with compartments that I found in an antique shop, which contains the base Settlers, the 5-6 player expansion, Seafarers, Das Buch, the Fishermen, and several other of the little sceanarios and bits. However, if I am taking Settlers to a party or other event, I will use the original box to hold the base game plus the 5-6 player expansion. Because in such an environment, the other stuff won't get used, and I don't want to risk taking it and it getting misplaced

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you like, NUTS!!! You do NOT throw away game boxes for board games. Nothing is more wrong than that. Well, maybe there is some things more wrong than that. But still. Eeeek.

Now, on the other hand, computer game boxes - get rid of those because they do actually go out-of-date and no one would them. But, the box for a board game is actually part of the game. Sorry, I don't get how you could. I'm starting to ramble - anxiety attack at the thought zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiny Epic Trickster
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Down along the creek, I remember something
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, me too!

Except Chinatown now lives with Traders of Genoa in the Super Box of Negotiation Goodness, and Industria is with Taj for no good reason at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Webb
United States
Verona
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Let's Go Pens!
badge
One more win...Beat the Sharks!
mbmbmbmbmb
joshp wrote:
The only box I got rid of was Zombie Fluxx. The cards just don't fit very well in the box, especially with the flamethrower mini-expansion.

That type of box is just not sturdy. A friend of mine had Coloretto in the same style box, and after a few months, it was barely holding together. We went on the geek, and printed off the box cover art onto label paper and pasted the label onto a hard plastic CCG deckbox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally no. Though, after one play, I did throw away the box for Lost: The Game (after putting the game back in the box of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Bezzant
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
"Everyone wants to be unique, but no one wants to be different."
mbmbmbmbmb
Like some of you, I used to keep everything. As space started becoming an issues I started throwing out the Cardboard Sprues.

The inserts went to the trash, as I started to baggie everything.

Then the usual happened, I started running out of space!!! So, the expansions got packed into the base game and they went to the trash as well.

The only two 'oopsies!' that I made, was that I had packed my Descent and Battlelore into Big Tupperware bins and Plano kits. In a fit of 'I need more space now!!!, those two base game boxes went to the recycling center shake.

The other games that the box has gone from are mostly card games like Lunch Money, Fluxx and the like. The boxes were getting quite beat up, so they went into hard-plastic Card Boxes so that the cards would stay in good shape. I also threw out the box for Hive, as the bag was much better for transporting the tiles.

I gotten over it now, but for a while I was quite upset, I even tried trading my set to a friend, just so I could get the box, but they saw through my cunning plan :meeple

Ironically, the game box that I havent thrown out is Bang! the Bullet! I took the cards out of it almost immediately, but the box is cool enough to keep a place of honor on the bookshelf.

d
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strangely I found chucking inserts harder than throwing away the boxes. I think it's a vandalism thing. We couldn't even rip out the useless cardboard insert for Carcassonne.

However, after acquiring the nice wooden box for Christmas last year, and spending many happy hours sorting out the bits, all the boxes went under the spare bed.

Then one day, t'other half said, "Can I throw the boxes for Carcassonne and Settlers?"

I squeeked, moaned a little, but since we are trying to move house and he is tidying and junking rubbish, I had to say yes because I had no justification for keeping them. I tried, "They might be useful for putting things in when we move because they are very sturdy..." but to no avail.

Since then however, I've found I'm a lot less of a packrat over boxes. If they fit, expansions go in with the main game, end of. Tidier that way.

< small voice > Did I do something wrong? Or am I on the road to recovery? < /small voice >

Susie_Cat.

Edit: The idea of mixing games up and putting them in the WRONG boxes is just too shocking for words though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.