Subject: What expansion should I get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Memoir_Best_Expansion [+] [View All]
Street Deacon
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just got this game a few days ago and love it. I'm already wanting to expand. Whats the coolest one to get first? I was thinking the Air Pack. Also which pack as snipers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sinclair
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eastern front includes the snipers and is my favorite. If you do get this I would recommend getting the winter/desert board to add the flavor of the game. The air pack expansion and the Pacific Expansions are also good. I would put the Terrain Expansion a very distant 4th as it really only adds components for those who enjoy making their own scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though the Air Pack comes with a very nice soft-bound book of compiled scenarios... and many of them require the Terrain Pack if I'm not mistaken.

I mention this because I do own the Air Pack (which is great fun) and not the Terrain Pack... which has become next on my list to purchase because of the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
but apparently the Terrain pack will prove more useful when they release the campaign book in early '09.. so keep that in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
As I answered in this thread: Best Expansions

ColtsFan76 wrote:
As I answered in this thread: Which Memoir '44 expansion is best?

I would put these 3 on equal footing. Everyone has their own personal preference and I would encourage you to get the one that appeals to you most (Mine would be PT, then MT, then EF):

Memoir '44: Eastern Front
Memoir '44: Pacific Theater
Memoir '44: Mediterranean Theater

After that, depends what you want to do. If you are big into designing your own scenarios, Memoir '44: Terrain Pack is a must. But it doesn't add a whole lot except eye candy if you don't design your own. Adds a lot of terrain that can be added but all of the terrain can be substituted if need be.

Memoir '44: Air Pack is kind of like a base game version 2.0. It is a good add but you aren't going to appreciate the differences until you have played a lot of the base game and have most of the other expansions. Air Pack also elevated the Terrain Pack as it utilizes a lot more of the terrain in the updated versions of the scenarios.

Memoir '44: Winter/Desert Board Map is also eye candy. You should get it if you go with either Eastern Front or Med-Theater. The Air Pack also uses it a bit more than the standard base game.

Overlord is a tricky situation. DOW could have made Memoir '44: Operation Overlord an expansion a home run but they opted for the sacrifice fly instead. I feel you are better off buying a 2nd game. Why? You always have the option to split out and run 2 games at a game night and, even better, host a mini-tourney. Plus, you don't have to mix and match plastic pieces with cardboard tokens.

Unfortunately, it will cost you a lot to double up on the other expansions (EF, PT, MT, W/D) just to play all 5 Overlord scenarios. On the other hand, you have the versatility to play all the fan-created OL scenarios and keep your options open if they ever produce more OL.

On the other hand, Operation Overlord keeps it cheaper for you in that it gives you all the cardbnoard tokens you need to play the full OL game so you can save money on purchasing EF, PT, and MT a 2nd time. it also has the benefit of giving yo a revised deck for OL. (Each deck from two games works as well, but some cards are modified to play OL, so this deck removes the guess work and constant look-up).

The downside is a 2nd board is not included (they included it with BattleLore Epic, the BL "overlord"). So in order to play, you still need a 2nd board - or go pay too much for a paper map: Memoir '44: Hedgerow Hell. The downside of the paper map is it is pre-printed and can only be used for 2 scenarios. So while Operation OL will save you money over purchasing a 2nd set of everything, it will cost you more int he long run as you have to pay for each scenario you want to play.

So the choice is yours. Personally, I went with the 2 of everything option (with the exception of only 1 Air Pack). I am also getting the Operation Overlord basically for the revised rules and card deck....and it was cheaper to get that through the organizaed play promotion on DOW's site.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Acker
China
Suzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eastern Front rocks, but I like Pacific just as much. And, Pacific does not ask for a new board, which makes it a nice first step.

Mainly, the quality of special rules is different: in Eastern Front, the Soviets suffer all sorts of hideously punishing rules, which is of course interesting.

In Pacific, on the other hand, Japan and USMC both get great advantages. So the specials in Pacific give you more options, not less.

An aside: at this point, every power EXCEPT Germany and US Army have special improvements -- even the Italians. This seems a little weird. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind proxy tiles, the Air Pack has all of the rules (in card form), for all of the items in the prior expansions. I would get the Air Pack first, and then you can see which of the other expansions you want the actual tiles/figures for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
As I answered in this thread: Best Expansions

ColtsFan76 wrote:
As I answered in this thread: Which Memoir '44 expansion is best?

I would put these 3 on equal footing. Everyone has their own personal preference and I would encourage you to get the one that appeals to you most (Mine would be PT, then MT, then EF):

Memoir '44: Eastern Front
Memoir '44: Pacific Theater
Memoir '44: Mediterranean Theater

After that, depends what you want to do. If you are big into designing your own scenarios, Memoir '44: Terrain Pack is a must. But it doesn't add a whole lot except eye candy if you don't design your own. Adds a lot of terrain that can be added but all of the terrain can be substituted if need be.

Memoir '44: Air Pack is kind of like a base game version 2.0. It is a good add but you aren't going to appreciate the differences until you have played a lot of the base game and have most of the other expansions. Air Pack also elevated the Terrain Pack as it utilizes a lot more of the terrain in the updated versions of the scenarios.

Memoir '44: Winter/Desert Board Map is also eye candy. You should get it if you go with either Eastern Front or Med-Theater. The Air Pack also uses it a bit more than the standard base game.

Overlord is a tricky situation. DOW could have made Memoir '44: Operation Overlord an expansion a home run but they opted for the sacrifice fly instead. I feel you are better off buying a 2nd game. Why? You always have the option to split out and run 2 games at a game night and, even better, host a mini-tourney. Plus, you don't have to mix and match plastic pieces with cardboard tokens.

Unfortunately, it will cost you a lot to double up on the other expansions (EF, PT, MT, W/D) just to play all 5 Overlord scenarios. On the other hand, you have the versatility to play all the fan-created OL scenarios and keep your options open if they ever produce more OL.

On the other hand, Operation Overlord keeps it cheaper for you in that it gives you all the cardbnoard tokens you need to play the full OL game so you can save money on purchasing EF, PT, and MT a 2nd time. it also has the benefit of giving yo a revised deck for OL. (Each deck from two games works as well, but some cards are modified to play OL, so this deck removes the guess work and constant look-up).

The downside is a 2nd board is not included (they included it with BattleLore Epic, the BL "overlord"). So in order to play, you still need a 2nd board - or go pay too much for a paper map: Memoir '44: Hedgerow Hell. The downside of the paper map is it is pre-printed and can only be used for 2 scenarios. So while Operation OL will save you money over purchasing a 2nd set of everything, it will cost you more int he long run as you have to pay for each scenario you want to play.

So the choice is yours. Personally, I went with the 2 of everything option (with the exception of only 1 Air Pack). I am also getting the Operation Overlord basically for the revised rules and card deck....and it was cheaper to get that through the organizaed play promotion on DOW's site.

Hope that helps.

Pretty much what Brian says but I like the Eastern Theater, Pacific Theater and Med in that order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I just thought that there must be a hint in the way WoW released the expansions, so I went for them this way:
1) Terrain
2) Eastern
3) Air
4) Med
5) Overlord
6) Hegdesrow Hell

Pacific just hasn't done it for me, but will be the next expansion I will buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have every expansion for Memoir, and I would second (or third, since Scrib already seconded ) what Brian/coltsfan said above! With the exception that Eastern front is my favourite of the three new army/theater/scenarios sets!

Have fun, and a Merry Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all of them too, so I'm decently situated to compare.

My top two are the Pacific and the new Mediterranean Theatre expansions.

Reasons:

Eastern Front is okay, but I think the "snipers" are a little too influential, and many of the scenarios suffer from "cramping"--too many units on the baseline with little room to maneuver. Also, while the "Commissar" rule does a decent job of reflecting early-war Soviet tactical ineptitude, there's nothing in the game to truly portray the grit and guts of Russian infantry.

The Air Pack makes planes more interesting, but this is fundamentally a ground combat game, and if your finances are limited, this is best left for a Christmas gift request list.

Pacific refreshes the basic system in an interesting way. The Marines are more fun offensively thanks to their "Gung Ho!" rules, and the Japanese are interesting both to play and to play against because of the rules allowing full-strength Japanese infantry units an offensive advantage.

This adds a new consideration to the non-Japanese player's tactical choice-making, since scoring a first hit on a fresh Japanese infantry unit is important to eliminate the Japanese advantage and there will be times when one is torn between finishing off a Japanese unit and wounding a fresh one. Also, the cave rules are fun.

My fondest hope at the moment is to see a big Memoir paper-map expansion depicting the whole of the island of Tarawa with miniature Amtracs to re-fight that desperate battle. (Eric H. and Richard B., I hope you're looking in on this thread!)

The Mediterranean expansion, of course, adds the British with their "stiff upper lip" rule, but it also has some excellent scenarios and a lot of mobility that really captures the "feel" of freewheeling desert armored action (and also positional defenses, minefields, and the like) along with antitank weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who ya try'n to kid... If you like the game that much buy all the expansions... you know you want to.

Many of us have two of everything... (minus the carry bag and paper map items)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.