Tony Archer
Australia
Woori Yallock
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In late ’06 I was getting ready to play War of the Ring - it looked daunting. A lot of people suggested it was much easier if the figures were painted first, so you could tell the different tribes apart. Then I read a lot of warnings about it taking a lot of time and exhorting strongly “Don’t Do It!!!

Lesson 1: Thinking about painting all the figures? Don’t!

I didn’t listen – it would have been a lot easier to just spray paint them or paint the bases but I read this article, and it was very good… “How To Paint a Load of Miniatures In Almost No Time At All”

I have little artistic talent and almost no creativity but this article gave a good step by step process for painting the Rohan elite unites in red, yellow and green.

Lesson 2: Get some guidance and some good examples to follow.

I knew once I’d started and I was warned, I’d have to finish them and that was the worst thing. I had to resist a number times finding my different tribes all falling into the red, yellow and green pattern because it worked so well the first time.

Lesson 3: Rastafarian music can be refreshing but not when it’s the only music.

Then I went through a purple phase (after all that was markedly different than the Rastafaian colors I was trying to avoid). This just about sunk me – I may as well have poured beetroot juice over the lot of them.

Lesson 4: Beetroot invades your lunch like cancer. Purple has a tendency to take over.

After finishing painting the various armies I began to read the rules only to discover that there were definite colors that the units needed to be. Aghast I saw that I had purples next to each other and too many greens so then I had to redo quite a few bases. (Fortunately most of mine were based on good photos available on this site and they’d read the rules before they’d painted their figures).

Lesson 5: Read the instruction, they may just be helpful.

Then I set them up again and noticed that three reserve figures were missing so I wrote to Fantasy Flight Games, who very kindly sent me the missing figures, which I then painted. I also found three extra unnecessary figures which I calculate adds up to three wasted hours painting.

Lesson 6: Check the completeness (or otherwise) of your figures early on.

Lastly I painted the characters and found some photo where they had painted the key color as a ring around the circumference, that looked really good. I then saw the pre-painted version you can buy and noticed they’d done the same with that. I now wished I’d done that with all my figures to make use of the terrain feel of some of them. I contemplated redoing all the bases for about three seconds and decided against it.

Lesson 7: As with life, know from early on what you want in the end.

One thing I did right (which I should’ve done with Agricola) was to play the introductory game before launching into and reading the full rules. It wasn’t as daunting as some had made it out this way.

Having now read the rules it doesn’t seem as bad as some of the post I’d read. Probably because I’d already tried and failed at getting around the escalating exceptions of the game, Paths of Glory. This was like a walk in the park compared to that.

Lesson 8: Play the introductory game first – it is not too bad and it makes it much easier to get your head around the full rules.

Now (after almost two years) I’m ready to play War of the Ring, I hope I like it…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice work...

Too bad you really have to have the expansion to play it...

[/joke]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done!! Now THAT is perseverance!

Now all you need to do to make this game easier to play is add the following:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2508499#2508499

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All that amazing hard work only to find out that the game isn't really all that worth it - it's fun but it has its issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
All that amazing hard work only to find out that the game isn't really all that worth it - it's fun but it has its issues.

Those issues can be fixed if one is willing to put the time into addressing them.

Of course, this is my favourite game of all time for 2 players, so I'm a little biased!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear that for the proper experience, you now need to redo the map in 3-D terrain. Otherwise your great figures are truly out of place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
I hear that for the proper experience, you now need to redo the map in 3-D terrain.
And 1:12 scale. It won't fit on your table that way, but you can always move to a larger place, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Archer
Australia
Woori Yallock
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After three and a half minutes of play-time I have succumb to the other big piece of advice when it comes to this game: "You must glue 5c coins (or equivalent) to the bases of the giant Nazgul figures."

Otherwise they will do their own version of dominoes and topple your carefully laid pieces throughout the game.

Lesson 9: It is usually worth listening to the advice of those who have gone before you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Bayu
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job! It looks so much better than the collector's edition one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Kopena
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your figures look pretty good. I hope you've enjoyed all the effort, and like the game enough for them to not sit in the box in perpetuity! I think it's a pretty good game, though hard to get on the table due to sheer complexity and time involved. In fact, a friend and I are taking advantage of the holidays later today to break this one out for what basically amounts to our annual session of War of the Ring!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you crazy? And let other people touch those amazing painted figurings? You can't play with this game copy. you need to buy a new one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're an awful lot better painted than mine! I like the game, despite being 0 and 6 currently, and painted figures make a lot of difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are a hoot! Way to tease the poor guy. Expansion, indeed! 1:12 scale, good grief! 3-D terrain, oi!

Seriously, you are an ambitious soul and your perseverance is admirable. Your wry "lessons learned" are apt and your paintwork is very nice indeed.

Two suggestions . . . I know you dread the thought, but I'd really encourage you to go ahead and paint the tops of the bases in a naturalistic tone of green-brown or some such, leaving the colored ring for identification. Painting bases is easy compared to picking out detail on a sculpted mini; it won't take you that long and you'll like the effect.

If the notion is too overwhelming, how about painting the tops of the rank and file, leaving full-color identifier bases for the Leaders?

I suggest this first because of my second suggestion, which is:

If you haven't already done so, be sure to put a protective clear coat over your painted figures, something like matte acrylic varnish or acrylic matte medium art spray. All that work mustn't be rubbed off by handling!

Again, great job. Now, you can relax and enjoy the game (and you will).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Archer
Australia
Woori Yallock
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
Seriously, you are an ambitious soul and your perseverance is admirable. Your wry "lessons learned" are apt and your paintwork is very nice indeed.

Two suggestions . . . I know you dread the thought, but I'd really encourage you to go ahead and paint the tops of the bases in a naturalistic tone of green-brown or some such, leaving the colored ring for identification. Painting bases is easy compared to picking out detail on a sculpted mini; it won't take you that long and you'll like the effect.

If the notion is too overwhelming, how about painting the tops of the rank and file, leaving full-color identifier bases for the Leaders?

If you haven't already done so, be sure to put a protective clear coat over your painted figures, something like matte acrylic varnish or acrylic matte medium art spray. All that work mustn't be rubbed off by handling!

Thanks for your kind words and suggestions. I may revisit the terrain question on another far off day. You are right it wouldn't be too difficult compared to picking out the detail on the miniatures.

As to the protective coat I used a dull coat and gradually decided I would have preferred to use the shiny gloss. Someone said the dull coat looked more realistic. I think I could have lived with a bit more shine and sparkle. But once I'd done a few I couldn't bear to change half way through.

Lesson 10: Test a few and think before you lock yourself into something you may regret.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your miniatures look great. But you should have tried playing War of the Ring first. Then you would have realized that there will be times where you can't even fit enough figures in a given map section. Then you need to use a proxy to represent all those figs, possibly even a cardboard chit.

War of the Ring is a good game marred by some poor production decisions. FFG should have used high-quality cardboard chits instead of miniatures, like in Arkham Horror. That way there are no stacking problems and you can fit more information right where it's needed. Also, the cards are difficult to read, with tiny fonts and dark backgrounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad the Gondorians look like they have pink blouses on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Royal
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aPilgrim wrote:
Barry Kendall wrote:

Thanks for your kind words and suggestions. I may revisit the terrain question on another far off day. You are right it wouldn't be too difficult compared to picking out the detail on the miniatures.

As to the protective coat I used a dull coat and gradually decided I would have preferred to use the shiny gloss. Someone said the dull coat looked more realistic. I think I could have lived with a bit more shine and sparkle. But once I'd done a few I couldn't bear to change half way through.

Lesson 10: Test a few and think before you lock yourself into something you may regret.

You can still spray glossy coat over dull coat to achieve the glossy finish if that's what you want.
Just make sure you shake the can very well and spray it sparsely from about 12" from the miniature.
Try one to test it first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Ahrens
Germany
Stelle
flag msg tools
designer
Where you're goin' with that gun in your hand?
badge
Iäh! Iäh! Fthagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! It's well worth it, imho. But... two years really? It took me not a half, and I'm no experienced minipainter at all... otoh we don't have kids, which might have helped timewise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Archer
Australia
Woori Yallock
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CthIngo wrote:
Congrats! It's well worth it, imho. But... two years really? It took me not a half, and I'm no experienced minipainter at all... otoh we don't have kids, which might have helped timewise

That was approximately one night a week painting while simultaneously juggling four children...laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Orlik-Grzesik
Poland
Studzionka
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
aPilgrim wrote:

Then I (...) noticed that three reserve figures were missing (...). I also found three extra unnecessary figures (...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.