Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I was watching Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels again tonight, and the question occurred to me. During the poker game about twenty minutes into the film, the dealer is giving the rules of the game, and I understand all of them except this one:

Quote:
An open man can't see a blind man.

What exactly does this mean? Anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Faulkner
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My assumption was that a 'blind man' was someone who had not taken a look a their own face down cards. An 'open man' was someone who as usual had taken a look at their cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim's right, but this is more often a phrase associated with 3 Card Blind Brag. An evil betting game which actually has 2 separate betting streams i.e. if you have looked at your cards you bet at a certain price, but if you remain blind i.e. haven't yet looked at your cards you bet at only half the cost of the open players. And as they say in the film, a blind player cannot be called by an open player.

A good film, but a warning about the perils of betting beyond your limits!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great movie, especially with the low budget they had.

Yes, all that means is that you can't put in the same amount of money the "blind" man put in, in order to call him if you are playing open. You must put in twice that.

Gary: What the f are 'YOU' doing here??
Barry the Baptist: What the 'F' are you doing here??

Classic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.