Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
We're playing Risk. I have a shot at conquering Asia, but I'll need my armies on Kamchatka to do it, leaving me exposed to your armies in Alaska. I see you've got your own things to worry about in South America, so I offer a truce for a couple turns. You agree. I begin to wage my campaign in Asia... now it is your turn.

Do you attack Kamchatka or not?

People who answer "it depends" will be refered to the Neville Chamberlain Rest Home For The Hopelessly Inept... in other words, take a stand, Milquetoast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Recently we were playing Shadows Over Camelot for the first time. One player went right for the armor, the only item the traitor keeps when revealed. And they needed a lot of help with the quest. Fishy...

But everyone is working together really well. So, that pivotal moment comes when we are either going to break into enough white swords to make a difference or we are going down in siege engine flames. I come up with a brilliant plan that has me setting up the player after the next to finish the Holy Grail and it costs me down to 1 life and I have to trade all my cards to the next player to fight siege engines just to keep us in the game.

And the next guy. The guy who has stood firm the whole game, who has helped us to find the Grail, who STOOD UP AT MY WEDDING, smirkily smirks, thanks me for the mittful of combat cards I gave him to save our bacon and proceeds to prance off to GOD KNOWS WHERE leaving us to the non-existent mercy of his traitorous revelation...

And the once great kingdom of Arthur goes down in inglorious flames.

This thread is dedicated to Paul, then, the vile betrayer. I admit that he played us all well and it wasn't really the kind of betrayal I mention above and want to hear about as it was expected by his given role in the game, but a lowdown dirty trick it was nonetheless.

What other stories of depraved immorality to your fellow gamers have you got?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fuhs
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

No. Do that ONCE & they will remember for the rest of their playing lives. Next time you offer a "truce", they will laugh, team up with someone else & blast you off the face of the Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you pissed me off? If yes, I attack your sorry ass.

If you haven't, then I will leave you alone for 3 turns and then attack your sorry ass probably because you broke the truce at some point of time.

So... Yes I would attack you... eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
2amp wrote:
Quote:

No. Do that ONCE & they will remember for the rest of their playing lives. Next time you offer a "truce", they will laugh, team up with someone else & blast you off the face of the Earth.

Apparently not ENOUGH evil lurks in the hearts of BGG'ers. 2amp, you would never make it in the metagame our playgroup has. We ALWAYS make and break deals, and it's no hard feelings, and we agree to keep what happens in each game in that game, so there are no "long memories" either.

The key here is that it's actually a stupid deal.

I have every incentive to take Kamchatka as it strengthens me and weakens you. You have offered me nothing of value but a vague temporary "truce" to keep my end of the deal, and, at least from your description of the game setup, there seems to be little you can do to hurt me, ESPECIALLY if I attack Kamchatka. Offering this deal is the equivalent of painting and big giant arrow on your most vulnerable territory.

Here's what I would have done instead: directed attention AWAY from Kamchatka. Convinced a third player to engage the fight elsewhere, something like that. And NOT BRING UP KAMCHATKA AT ALL until I was done and could replenish the armies in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
MScrivner wrote:
I have every incentive to take Kamchatka as it strengthens me and weakens you.

Currently leading in the race to the bottom is Matt! Go Matt go! Sell that grandmother! Loot that church!

Srsly. Great answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
... The Shadow knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
We're playing Risk. I have a shot at conquering Asia, but I'll need my armies on Kamchatka to do it, leaving me exposed to your armies in Alaska. I see you've got your own things to worry about in South America, so I offer a truce for a couple turns. You agree. I begin to wage my campaign in Asia... now it is your turn.

People who answer "it depends" will be refered to the Neville Chamberlain Rest Home For The Hopelessly Inept... in other words, take a stand, Milquetoast.

Crush you like a grape. devil

EDIY:

I come from a gaming culture in which agreements-- like such truces-- outside the rules are considered akin to cheating in the sense they break thegame unlessthe rulesexplicitly allude to such things. So, I'd not make such a truce, but I might be willing to listen if one can show it's worth my while. Enter the mind-games.

Done right, you can get players to point out weaknesses of other players' positions you might have missed. This is why I am one who does not talk about the game during it any more than is absolutely necessary. Partly it's cultural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I let you keep Asia you get 7 armies a turn to come back and take my beloved Alaskan border or I take Kamchatka and let Sarah Palin sleep a little snugger in her bed. No brainer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.