Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Combat Commander: Pacific» Forums » Rules

Subject: Minor rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of things from the last play that I'd like to check.

a. I couldn't find the Low Crawl event in the rulebook. I played it as synonymous with the Stealth event based on the wording on the card (card US-3).

b. Stealth (and Low Crawl?) allow you to enter enemy occupied hexes? I played that it did since I couldn't find anywhere that stated otherwise.

c. The situation arose where the defender wanted to play Mines into a hex containing a Pillbox. I ruled this illegal since Mines are a "fortification" and only one fortification / hex. I just would like to verify this.

d. From the comment at the end of A33 (Ambush), it seems like the active player can play ambushes even if the inactive player totally wiped him out via ambushes.

e. And just to make sure I have this right... it's entirely possible for a broken team to advance into melee and wipe-out a much larger force by throwing down a fistful of Ambush actions.

f. Last one... you can't strafe a tree-line (er, jungle line?) as each hex of jungle creates a blind-spot covering the next hex of jungle?


Thanks!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
(a) Will let someone else comment

(b) Yep...place the unit into an adjacent hex. No restrictions on what might be in the hex, other than it can't be an impassable hex.

(c) Correct. F100.1 specifies Mines and Pillbox both as fortifications. F100.3 limits stacking of fortifications to 1 per hex.

(d) Correct. 19.2.2 notes that melee is ostensibly simultaneous, but is staggered to facilitate die rolls and trigger resolution.

(e) Yes it is. Heros are good for this also.

(f) Correct. You can target the first jungle hex, but a line of jungle hexes creates a line of blind hexes that can't be strafed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
a. I couldn't find the Low Crawl event in the rulebook. I played it as synonymous with the Stealth event based on the wording on the card (card US-3).


Ooops. Yes, this is synonymous with Stealth - and the wording on the card is correct, the name is an old name.

Quote:
b. Stealth (and Low Crawl?) allow you to enter enemy occupied hexes? I played that it did since I couldn't find anywhere that stated otherwise.


It specifically states "adjacent" - without qualifying whether it is enemy-occupied or not. You did the right thing.

Quote:
c. The situation arose where the defender wanted to play Mines into a hex containing a Pillbox. I ruled this illegal since Mines are a "fortification" and only one fortification / hex. I just would like to verify this.


F100.3 rules the situation and you ruled correctly.

Quote:
d. From the comment at the end of A33 (Ambush), it seems like the active player can play ambushes even if the inactive player totally wiped him out via ambushes.


Yes.

Quote:
e. And just to make sure I have this right... it's entirely possible for a broken team to advance into melee and wipe-out a much larger force by throwing down a fistful of Ambush actions.


Yes.

Quote:
f. Last one... you can't strafe a tree-line (er, jungle line?) as each hex of jungle creates a blind-spot covering the next hex of jungle?


It operates as an obstacle exactly the way Woods operate. As long as what you mean by "strafing a tree-line" excludes those hexes where you have a direct unobstructed LOS (as you "strafe along - but not through to behind"). If what I'm writing does not "sound right" then we have to go to precise examples to make sure we understand one another.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It operates as an obstacle exactly the way Woods operate. As long as what you mean by "strafing a tree-line" excludes those hexes where you have a direct unobstructed LOS (as you "strafe along - but not through to behind"). If what I'm writing does not "sound right" then we have to go to precise examples to make sure we understand one another.


I think I had it right. I had a plane in hex C4 of map A and had merry visions of strafing the entire Japanese force lined up along the edge of the jungle from C5 through C8 until I realized that each jungle hex hid the one behind it and I could only see C5 (and, that, only because I was adjacent to it).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.