Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long does this game really take to play? I am thinking about getting it, but I need games that consistently play in 2 hours or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott! I have played this about six times with two, three and four players. I have always had it take between 2-3 hours. I really like the game quite a bit, and would encourage you to get it, but it will not play in two or less hours, sorry to say, in my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience there's absolutely no trouble whatsoever to play Antike consistently under two hours.

More than 90 minutes is a long game in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Peters Unrau
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottandkimr wrote:
How long does this game really take to play? I am thinking about getting it, but I need games that consistently play in 2 hours or less.

I have only had one game of Antike take more than two hours and it clocked in at 2:10. It also had four 11-year-old boys playing their first game. Every other game, including my first game where everyone at the table was new to the game, has taken less than 2 hours.

Where I can see the game bogging down is if people have trouble developing a strategy and carrying it out. Once I know that my next strategic goal is to build to 15 cities, every turn is just taking the next step toward that goal and the turns move quickly.

If people are playing so that they are making/re-making strategic and tactical decisions every single time and they are not thinking on other people's turns then I could see the game dragging.

That said, I've played this with very diverse groups of people and it has never been a problem. It's a great game and it has received lots of play. My recommendation: If this kind of game interests you, get it.

Edit: I have played with 3, 4, 5, and 6 players and it played well with each which makes it part of that nice pile of games that can handle six.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.