United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On CSW Social, David Allen has documented a test game of an interesting way to remotely play a miniatures game using a typical miniatures table, a facilitator who 'runs' the table and something called a 'CommanderCam'- a webcam that provides the point of view of the battlefield commander for each side.

http://social.consimworld.com/group/commandercam

I like the potential to simulate Fog of War using this method- very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been surprised that this 'point of view' aspect has not been a prime focus of computer aids to games, though I guess we are not yet to the point where everyone brings a laptop along when playing wargames (as in I do not myself!). But things like this seem to me to have great potential to strike an excellent balance bewteen the standard open information (where any fog of war is essentially handled by the dice results) and the near complete lack of completely hidden units or blocks (rarely is military intelligence that bad!). You might be able to tell there is cavalry behind a hill, but what type or how much is not certain.

I remember long ago, there was discussion of the idea of using computer aid to even add an uncertainty element into intelligence gathering. For example, a spy could report the enemy had 2-3 days worth of supplies at X depot for conducting an offensive--the recipient of this information could also be given an estimated rating of how reliable that spy or collection method was, maybe be able to attempt to send more resources into information gathering, the other side could be possibly intentionally trying to feed bad information, this would bring up the decision of whether to act based on the report, or wait for corroboration.

An excellent historical example of what I am talking about (on a bigger scale than a battle, but the principle is the same) is the Pacific Theater of WWII. Admiral Nimitz was frequently given information he could not be told where it came from (codebreaking of intercepts), yet he was assured it was accurate. He chose to trust it and send out orders to act on it, but someone else might have made a different choice. And then, Nimitz had essentially no combat experience, so he received reports from his combat commanders and had to evaluate these based more on his assessment of the capabilites and knowledge of the sender and his staff, rather than his own experience. Quite the situation probably most wargamers ought to be in as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
While I'm reminded of some 'arcade' GAME based on "North Africa" and you flew around shooting at "Targets" either on LAND or in the AIR. Their 'footage' consisted with "miniatures" filmed from overhead, or with 'Aircraft' then it was differing so as to present varying 'aspects' of that as you FLEW towards one another, so when you HIT something, then some *blast* image was placed OVER that to indicate this. It was great fun at the time since later on, they have a computer "Game" that is much more detailed called: "Sudden Strike" Even prior kinds were equipped with 'Roger-Wilco' commo to where players on EACH 'Team' could even TALK with one another during it all. Now, also during that time-span, there were some guys with these 'periscopes' built to place upon a "Sand Table" so that they'd be at the 'minis'-VIEW in order to determine "line of sight". It may have even had a 'peg' on the end that were placed upon the 'table', and being at the 'eyesight height' for whatever scale these were depicted with. So, if you could 'bore-sight' using modern equipage in order to FILM that for the duration, it would present quite the unique 'perspectives' from start to finish. Just TRY doing likewise without "minis" and SEE what that's like... NOT! at all..
shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this just and experiment, or is someone hoping this will catch on? If the later, this seems like a pretty silly idea. If I want to do things remotely and have hidden info and all that, there are plenty of video/PC games that do it better, faster, with better graphics. I play minis games for the whole minis experience, and my guess is the vast majority of minis players do too. It's about the painting, the terrain, the battlefield, the moving the little painted men on the table and rolling the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.