United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the topic...

Can you attack with just a Samurai?

Can you have an ocean fleet with just a Samurai?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook says:
Quote:
any number of military units and samurai

IMHO yes, you can.

I assume zero to be any number. So if I can defend a province with samurai and no military unit then I can use him for an attack - the best form of defence.

Remember that there are destiny dice as well as military support cards. So a samurai is not alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
macike wrote:
The rulebook says:
Quote:

IMHO yes, you can.

I assume zero to be any number. So if I can defend a province with samurai and no military unit then I can use him for an attack - the best form of defence.

Remember that there are destiny dice as well as military support cards. So a samurai is not alone.

Ok, thanks (O: I suppose you still know what is what because people have cards in front of them.

Note: You can also defend a province with no samurai or units.

edit: spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quizoid wrote:
Note: You can also defend a province with no samurai or units.

This is the purpose of negotiating the military support from other clans. You can still win battles with use of foreign forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
macike wrote:
The rulebook says:
Quote:

IMHO yes, you can.

Well, technically, negative and complex numbers are also covered by "any number". Does this mean I can attack with -3 samurai and 2+4i armies?

It would follow from your interpretation that it would be possible to attack, even, with zero armies and zero samurai.

Reductio ad absurdum at work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Konrad von Richtmark wrote:
Does this mean I can attack with -3 samurai and 2+4i armies?

I'm affraid you just can't do it technically.

I would say it once again:
macike wrote:
This is the purpose of negotiating the military support from other clans. You can still win battles with use of foreign forces.

Do you think that an allied army lead by your samurai is an absurd?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If I can't do it "technically", it simply implies that there is something wrong with the game components as they don't physically allow me to attack with exactly 2+4i, or 3.14159265 armies, something I, by the letter of the rules, can do and am thus entitled to be able to.

And on the matter of technicality, well, "technically" there would be no component limitation against attacking with zero armies and zero samurai. Hey, that's what I'm going to start doing! Whenever I mobilize an area, I'll send zero-army zero-samurai attacks into every neighbouring province! Little chance of success, but hey, it's something for nothing!

Or then we simply conclude that what the game designer actually meant was "any positive integer number".

Nothing absurd about an allied army led by your samurai. But a single samurai leading no troops at all, and still conquering the province, is. You could still get points from the destiny dice showing your own clan. Where did the samurai get all that military might, did he pull it out of his pants?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're definitely right.

"Any number of military units and samurai". Zero is a number, but none is not any number of units. And samurai stands that samurai has to accompany at least one military units.

One can only defend without any units.

I wrote some stupid things. modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.