Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
check it out at http://www.gametableonline.com/.

It's in Beta, so be sure to report any bugs to support@gametableonline.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeeehaaa!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come Play!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea how long games are taking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've definitely been looking forward to this hitting GTO. Is it possible to learn the game as you play? I've been thinking of buying this game, but it's a pretty spendy to blind buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been able to knock out a game in easily 30-45 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sweet - can't wait to check it out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vampyur wrote:
I've definitely been looking forward to this hitting GTO. Is it possible to learn the game as you play?

Sure, just let people know beforehand that you want to learn as you play and I'm sure someone will play and help explain what's going on in the chat function. On GTO you have a time limit to make your moves, which is variable depending on who set up the game, but is at most 3 minutes. You'll probably want the full 3 minutes at first. In 1960, much of the time you'll spend will be on reading through each card in your hand, especially at the beginning of the turn when you first receive your new hand. The game isn't necessarily hard to play, but there are a lot of possibilities with the cards, and the order in which you play certain cards and when to enable your opponents' events or preempt events can be crucial. I'd recommend just playing a couple times without worrying about playing well... just pick your cards to play without too much thinking and see how things unfold and learn from the choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bello
United States
flag msg tools
I am looking for a game on GTO this weekend. I have not played before, but have read the rules. I would like to play another newbie if possible who has also read the rules. Please PM me to set up a time if you are interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played now on-line about 20 times. Wow, its awesome!

One thing I would request is some way of seeing how many cards are in the discard pile, or at least notification when shuffling occurs. Many of the events allow you to pick a discarded card, but without knowing how big the discard pile is, its hard to judge the value in such an action.

Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave,

Just played my first game tonight. What a great implementation. Thanks so much for setting it up.

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just lost a game 258 - 258. My opponent (forgot their name, sorry) had twice the number of states and won.

I didn't notice any sound to indicate a player's turn. Will this be added eventually?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Vampyur wrote:
I've definitely been looking forward to this hitting GTO. Is it possible to learn the game as you play?

Sure, just let people know beforehand that you want to learn as you play and I'm sure someone will play and help explain what's going on in the chat function. On GTO you have a time limit to make your moves, which is variable depending on who set up the game, but is at most 3 minutes. You'll probably want the full 3 minutes at first. In 1960, much of the time you'll spend will be on reading through each card in your hand, especially at the beginning of the turn when you first receive your new hand. The game isn't necessarily hard to play, but there are a lot of possibilities with the cards, and the order in which you play certain cards and when to enable your opponents' events or preempt events can be crucial. I'd recommend just playing a couple times without worrying about playing well... just pick your cards to play without too much thinking and see how things unfold and learn from the choices.

Okay, while it's possible to learn the game this way, I wouldn't recommend it.

If you've played the board game before, it only takes a minute or two to catch on to how GameTableOnline's interface for the game works. But if you've never played the board game, trying to learn its rules AND the interface usage at the same time is biting off a hell of a lot.

Because of the time limits on each turn, a teacher would have to be a pretty fast typist in order to teach a newbie how the game is played. Even the newbie would have to be a speedster on the keyboard in order to ask questions in a timely manner. And the super-quick way that the chat windows pop up and down don't help the teaching/learning process--you've got to be a really fast reader to absorb anything your opponent has typed in the chat window.

GameTableOnline's version of this game is awesome for experienced board gamers, but it's NOT very handy as a try-before-you-buy tool. It's not meant to supplant sales of the board game, nor should it. Besides, as with most computerized board games, you'll find that playing the game with a live opponent sitting across the table from you is a lot more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hristo Filipov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should know that there is a way to choose not to have any time limit. I prefer to play this way - and especially for this game it is a must.
Great implementation of the game btw! I think I will play often
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone usuing a Mac having any success with this. Everytime I try to start a game it fails on me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We should be doing another build of this game in the next day or so. Many of the issues reported to us should be taken care of with the new build. With any luck we'll be able to call it done (or as done as these things ever are).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new build is in place. Come on over and give it a try. I believe that we've worked out most of the kinks. We still have a couple of improvements to make before we call it done but you should be able to play a solid game now without any really annoying bugs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Fischer
Netherlands
Den Haag
---
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quartersmostly wrote:
Anyone usuing a Mac having any success with this. Everytime I try to start a game it fails on me.

I'm on a MacBook running 10.5 and it works fine. Are you able to run other online Java-based games at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.