Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
I so rarely have the cards align just so to allow me to be truly evil as an overlord. Until our last session.

There our heroes are, in the fourth level of the Caverns of Thuul, each sporting some serious cursed item goodies. They took the eastern stairwell first. I draw two crushing rock traps and the possibilities are already running through my head. I'm up to my ears in threat. I have my plan. I even warn the party that I'm about to be really evil. They shrug if off. "Sure you are," they say, eying my threat going mostly unused turn after turn.

As the heroes walk down the narrow corridor, I drop one of the crushing rock traps mid hallway. At first this seems innocent enough (for an overlord action).They praise their good fortune. Now the dragon can't chase them down the hallway. The heroes smugly think it was half-baked planning on my part.

With their first crystal dragon slain and not a loss to their side, they proudly strut back to glyph and the stairwell. As they try to walk out, BAM! The second crushing block drops. The hallway is completely closed off, and only one of our weakened heroes, the acrobat, can move through the rubble, and she celebrates having avoided all damage for the trap. Then they realize that except for the acrobat, they're all trapped. The only way out is to kill each other and go back to town. One by one, the characters backpack their armor and attack each other to get out of the room, except of course, our acrobat, who laughs that I couldn't kill all of them. I smile and play a spawn card beyond those stones now blocking her line of sight. She thinks nothing of it. What's a razorwing when you just killed a crystal dragon and half of your friends?

On her way out of the cave-in area, she is attacked. Again, she laughs. Then she stops as I start discarding threat, sweet delicious threat, to add black dice, then chase bad threat with worse to turn all those dark cubes silver. Skippy the Wonder Razorwing attacked with a red, a green, and five silver power dice. Let's just say, when you're a battered hero with eight hit points on a good day, even with so much fatigue and ghost armor, you are no match for fifteen points of damage. It didn't help her case any that she forgot to reequip her armor at the start of her turn.

Easiest 19 conquest I ever gained.

Some days, the evil just happens.

What's your most sadistic OL story?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kahan
United States
Annandale
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumwytgi wrote:
I so rarely have the cards align just so to allow me to be truly evil as an overlord. Until our last session.

There our heroes are, in the fourth level of the Caverns of Thuul, each sporting some serious cursed item goodies. They took the eastern stairwell first. I draw two crushing rock traps and the possibilities are already running through my head. I'm up to my ears in threat. I have my plan. I even warn the party that I'm about to be really evil. They shrug if off. "Sure you are," they say, eying my threat going mostly unused turn after turn.

As the heroes walk down the narrow corridor, I drop one of the crushing rock traps mid hallway. At first this seems innocent enough (for an overlord action).They praise their good fortune. Now the dragon can't chase them down the hallway. The heroes smugly think it was half-baked planning on my part.

With their first crystal dragon slain and not a loss to their side, they proudly strut back to glyph and the stairwell. As they try to walk out, BAM! The second crushing block drops. The hallway is completely closed off, and only one of our weakened heroes, the acrobat, can move through the rubble, and she celebrates having avoided all damage for the trap. Then they realize that except for the acrobat, they're all trapped. The only way out is to kill each other and go back to town. One by one, the characters backpack their armor and attack each other to get out of the room, except of course, our acrobat, who laughs that I couldn't kill all of them. I smile and play a spawn card beyond those stones now blocking her line of sight. She thinks nothing of it. What's a razorwing when you just killed a crystal dragon and half of your friends?

On her way out of the cave-in area, she is attacked. Again, she laughs. Then she stops as I start discarding threat, sweet delicious threat, to add black dice, then chase bad threat with worse to turn all those dark cubes silver. Skippy the Wonder Razorwing attacked with a red, a green, and five silver power dice. Let's just say, when you're a battered hero with eight hit points on a good day, even with so much fatigue and ghost armor, you are no match for fifteen points of damage. It didn't help her case any that she forgot to reequip her armor at the start of her turn.

Easiest 19 conquest I ever gained.

Some days, the evil just happens.

What's your most sadistic OL story?

Sean,
That IS pretty evil, but I'm not sure it's actually "legal" I'm trying to visualize how you were able to position the 2nd crushing block to actually prevent any diagonal movement. Even if you put the block in front of the stairs, the heroes should be able to move diagonally to reach them. In additon, using threat to add movement and power dice is only available to the OL in Outdoor Encounters so your Uber-Razorwing should never have been allowed.

I don't have a truly sadistic story, but my just after the campaign moved to Silver level, Alric had almost completed his seige of Tamalir... The heroes kept fight him and fighting him but he kept getting Total Party Kills every time with my Gold Beastmen and Ferrox :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumwytgi wrote:
As they try to walk out, BAM! The second crushing block drops. The hallway is completely closed off,

Evil, yes. Legal? I would say no.

From the Crushing Block card: "Play this card when a hero moves into an empty space that is not adjacent to any obstacles."

Once you played the first Crushing Block rubble, you cannot play the second one adjacent to the first rubble. This prevents the exact situation you created. The heroes should always have a path through the dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curses, they win again. I'll give them their conquest back. I don't know how I missed that. As for the power dice, really? I thought you could spend threat to add dice in the dungeon (movement was never added to the razorwing). I'll have to check that when I'm around my books again. This does, however, illustrate for the gazillionth time why they too need to read the rule books instead of relying on me to remember everything. Maybe this time they'll actually listen to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Wichmann
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Hi,

it's true about the crushing block card; the rule is specifically made to prevent closing off corridors completely.

dumwytgi wrote:
As for the power dice, really? I thought you could spend threat to add dice in the dungeon (movement was never added to the razorwing).

Unfortunately not. Using threat to add movement or power dice is only allowed in overland encounters (normal or lieutenant ones) for the Overlord.

Quote:
This does, however, illustrate for the gazillionth time why they too need to read the rule books instead of relying on me to remember everything. Maybe this time they'll actually listen to me.

In that case, don't give them back conquest to make an educational point.

-Kylearan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your enlightenment on the matter. The crushing block was absolutely my fault. The threat-for-dice, however, I blame on confusion over the many subtle changes between vanilla and RtL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this one was legal and it happened just last night. Silver level campaign. My beasts are still copper but eldritch and humanoids are at silver. I've also bought some trap treachery to deal with the party's 2 hard as nails tanks. (5 and 6 armor without using exhaustable items!)

So they've made it to the silver level Legendary Area and start their run. For the first level they draw the dungeon with the Master Demon who summons 1 razorwing per turn. I choose the force package that includes the master Deep Elf as I've never used one before and wanted to try something new.

The ususal combats ensue. My skeletons puch the mage hero's ticket a couple of times and the archer that has Pico dies for the cause as well. However the two tanks are wrecking my critters and shrugging off most of my damage. They are also smart enough to give the Demon a wide berth, so I'm not getting any help there. My card draws so far have been craptacular but I have been able to preseve the master Deep Elf for an attack that will matter. Finally some good cards come my way. An Aim and two Rage cards make an appreance and a plan begins to form.

By this point both of the tanks are down a few HPs each but not enough to give them concern. They are moving up long entry way while keeping the trash mobs in check with a solid 2-man front. Meanwhile the mage and archer are in town healing and shopping. More of my skeletons go down thus opening the way for my assassin. My turn rolls around and now it's time for the Deep Elf to go to work. Run up to the dwarf and she punches his ticket after I spend an Aim and one of the Rage cards. The look on his face when I told him he just took 8 damage with a pierce 6 attack was priceless. Then I did it to him again...

Because of her Shadowmeld ability the Mage and the Archer can't get to my Deep Elf in time to help during the next round. The tank takes his shot and puts some wounds on her. He's also feeling confident he can survive another round of combat with the elf without going down and he has the shield that lets him ignore tokens. (No frost goodness for me) On my next turn the players all call me some unkind things as I lay down another Rage card and the Master Deep Elf promptly dispatches the reamining tank by stabbing him in the eyesocket. Of course my poor elf explodes the next round in hail of point-blank fire but it was all worth it. Three cards, one elf and 8 conquest later I was a happy Overlord!

-Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a nice good legal story this time. Last level of the last dungeon of copper level. I'm hording threat. It's the Downward Spiral. I have Doom! in play. One of their tanks has grapple, which lets the ranged heroes handle my guys at range mostly without fear. My eldritch are silver and my skeletons have sniping.I spawn the dark priests (or as we call them, the old priest and the young priest). They weaken the tanks some, but the real purpose of their presence was for the black curse to throw another curse token on them (they're all huge fans of cursed items).

They open a treasure chest, and using most of my threat, I play Dance of the Monkey God. Bam. Four monkeys all in the same hallway with no line of sight anywhere. My turn starts. I spawn the Legions of Skeletons (four normals and two masters), who proceed to whittle the party down. The dungeon is almost over, so next turn, I go ahead and discard lots of cards for more threat to reboot the spawn marker and summon another legion. The monkeys are now staring down every skeleton in the game. It makes me sad that their pierce is going to waste. TPK in no time flat.Easy 19 conquest, but some angry players. They come back in as they die, now without monkey bodies and wipe up the rest of the dungeon. My giant never even gets a chance to attack.

A new week dawns, and the campaign easily goes silver in my favor. I'm sitting on lots of conquest thanks to the monkey business. I start upgrading monsters as they charge down Krieg, who is heading back to my keep with the first scroll of heaven. I try to convince them to just let him go, that they aren't ready to take on a silver level Krieg with a small army of gold skeletons, especially considering they haven't explored any silver level dungeons and are still using almost exclusively copper treasure. They just don't listen. I show them his stats. I show them the skeletons' stats. They still don't listen. They charge in, taking on forces I was nice enough to warn them were way out of their league. I look at the top card for the encounter location. I give them one last warning, which they ignore. They're cocky. I reveal the Box Canyon. The skeletons and Krieg easily score me another TPK and 18 conquest. And a party that's doing nothing but complaining about how unfair the battle was and how unbalanced the game is and maybe they should just quit since there's no way they'll ever win.

Perhaps next time they'll actually look at what they're going to fight instead of assuming that because they did alright at the end of copper that they'll do just as well at the beginning of silver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have a nice good legal story this time...They open a treasure chest, and using most of my threat, I play Dance of the Monkey God. Bam. Four monkeys all in the same hallway with no line of sight anywhere. My turn starts...

Actually...the Dance of the Monkey God is a "play at the start of your turn" card, not one that is triggered by opening a chest.

So...not quite legal, no. Although this time it probably wouldn't have made much difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.