United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first got the LOTR base game a few months back my group had a good time with it. After a few plays we managed to destroy the ring and all was right in the world...but it would not stay so.

I had my fair share of complaints with the game (namely the tile draw system and its ability to screw you over before you have a chance to do anything about it) but overall, I enjoyed LOTR. My group felt the same until about 7 plays in, when they almost unanimously started hating the game for "being the same every time you play it". So we gave it a break for a while.

I bought the Friends and Foes expansion through FFG's $5 holiday sale expecting to be able to give the game another shot with the group, as I thought that the addition of the Foes deck and the hobbit one-time powers would add more to the game and make it more dynamic. Problem is, no one wants to even try it! They wrote it off before I had even finished a rules explanation...

cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's any consolation, the whole LOTR series plays well as a solo game... just control two or more of the hobbits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
that is kind of a shame. I was eager to try the F&F expansion after getting our asses whooped playing our first game with the Sauron expansion. I've only played the game twice, without having gone through any of the other numerous expansions, but it seems the game just doesn't have THAT MUCH replayability, even with all the expansions available. Not saying too much, as very few games are such that many would like to play over and over again.

However, I would say I'd like to play it at least several more times. 7 times would probably be the limit for me, but with other exansions added-in or used instead, my preferences would be to try the game with those. I'd say give it a month or so to see if interest sparks again. Ya never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gesine Stanienda
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a shame. Maybe show them Grudunza's cool videos? He sold me Friends and Foes, although it's his least favourite expansion.
Also, it plays really well solo.
The tile-drawing in my view actually makes sure that it is replayable, because it leaves certain elements to chance.
I've had the game for a week (well, have had it punched out for a week) and have played 8 games, and I'm still nowhere near tired of it. Still need to win (would be nice...) and try different Hobbit-combinations, waiting for the Friends and Foes etc.

If you enjoy it, play it solo and tell them how much you like it... Might get them back on board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.