Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Fields of Fire» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Replay of Fields of Fire:Normandy Scenario #1 - Trevieres Offensive rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Stephan
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Task: Alpha Company to secure primary and secondary objectives and clear out any enemy within 800 meters of our staging area (the ridge to our front).

Concept of Operation: 1st Platoon will support the main effort by securing the church to its immediate front, continue to advance and protect the flank of 2nd Platoon.

2nd Platoon is the main effort and will secure both the primary and secondary objectives in the large wooded area beyond the ridge to our front left.

3rd Platoon will be the tactical reserve and support 1st or 2nd platoons as needed.

ARTY FO will occupy the church, once it has been cleared, as an observation post and support the main effort and supporting effort with fires as needed.

Mortar Platoon will occupy the right hill once it is cleared and support the assault on the objectives as needed with mortar fire.

Once cleared the church will become our designated Casualty Collection point and be coordinated by the 1SG.

After Action Report
For: BN CDR, 1st BN, 9th INF RGT

Turn 1
1st Platoon sent the 1st squad in to scout the church and 2nd Platoon also sent 3rd squad into the marsh to prepare to move onto our attacking position.

Fortunately for 3/2, they found cover as they received a fire mission from some big guns, probably 105mm. They became pinned due to the incoming but did not take any casulaties.

1/1 found no contact at the church either, the German infantry probably moved out last night.

Turn 2
Both platoons made good progress. 2LT Jensen took a high risk by moving the entire 2nd platoon into the marsh that had just received incoming. Fortunately, no more rounds came down. As near as I can tell, the observer must have lost contact with his battery.

1st Platoon secured the church and our FO from the 15th FA took up position in the tower. This gave him a clear view over the hill to our front. He could observe our attack position (AP) and primary objective from here. I am glad that we were holding this building and not the enemy.

Turn 3
Sir, it was at this point that we ran into serious resistance. Shortly after we secured the church, we could hear rounds incoming in the area where 2nd platoon was beginning to move on to their AP.

Almost simultaneously, 1st platoon came under fire and 3rd platoon also was engaged as they started to clear the area to our immediate left. The enemy just opened up a tremendous fire.

2nd platoon essentially ceased to exist as an effective force at this point. Several of the men became casualties and the rest were pinned under the artillery barrage. 1st squad also received sniper fire as it secured the AP, taking some casualties as well.

1st squad of 1st platoon reached it support position on the hill but came under fire from its front and towards their left by a squad and HMG nest. They took casualties as well and became pinned down.

1st squad 3rd platoon, came under fire while trying to clear our left. Another HMG nest and they also found themselves in the middle of a mine field. Fortunately, they did not trigger any mines, and we opened fire in the HMG from our position. Our fire must have had some effect as the MG fire slacked off somewhat.

I'll have to see how this plays out before continuing this story. Things look pretty bleak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, thanks for the session report, looking forward to how it moves along.

I'm playing the same mission (after a lengthy learning process made longer as it was publicized in the "Enough Whining!" thread here), and having similar issues. We had incoming arty on the one multi-story card on the map (no hills, either), with my Arty FO flipped to a fire team and two squads each suffering one casualty, although I did paralyze an LMG team and am hoping I'll get the chance to capture them. I'm still looking for things in the rules, but I've taken a shot at pre-designating my pyrotechnics and we'll just have to see how things go from here.

One thing I noticed in your photos is that you're using the ammo counters on the map. I've found that this tends to be a pretty counter-heavy game considering that you're putting all of the units on cards, and so I recommend using the Mission Log to track ammo unless it's with a unit that can't use it (if you end up with some ammo because of Higher HQ Events, for instance). I use o's to represent unused ammo, then x them out when they're expended, then just add more o's down when I get more (if I get more).

Example:

.50cal ammo (start of Mission 1):

oooooo

.50cal ammo after firing a couple of turns:

xxoooo

.50cal ammo after firing and being resupplied:

xxxooo oooo

The exception is off-board arty/mortars, as they don't resupply and there's a field for the missions they have as well as the missions they've expended.

Of course, different people will find different ways to do this, but since I like to keep my units a little less stacked up (so many chits to mark the state of the unit), anything I can do to reduce clutter is helpful.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the mission!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stephan
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is not a bad idea. I may have to try that during my next game.

You are right about the cards becoming cluttered, so much can happen in such a short time that the whole card can get covered with counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Umh, why when I clik on the images it gives me an error Image not exist? angry

Great report

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice contact plan. Did you use much smoke?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stephan
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kabutor wrote:
Umh, why when I clik on the images it gives me an error Image not exist? angry

Great report

The first image was "rejected" by the mods for being to similar to the others. The second and third still work (for me at least).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stephan
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cage wrote:
Nice contact plan. Did you use much smoke?

No, I didn't. With the ridge to the front and the what I had the signals set-up to do, it turned out I did not need them. As the mission progressed, it became more about getting my casualties evacuated then gaining the objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.