Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Wills
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
http://willsfamily.org/games/FieldsOfFire/index.html is the site. Here's the start of it. Note that I played this before reading any BGG threads, so much may be irrelevant, but hopefully of some interest. It is at a relatively high level of detail -- not much rule discussion; more a way for me to keep track of what was happening and provide a reasonably short overview of a mission.

Turn 1

The CO HQ was activated, and on its impulse activated 1st and 2nd platoon HQs, saving its other four actions. On the Platoon/Staff impulse, the 1st platoon sent squad 1/1 into the woods directly ahead (and saved two actions), and 2nd platoon similarly send its first squad into the woods (also saving two actions). In the initiative segment, the 3rd platoon saved two actions and the XO and SGT both saved one. With two general initiative actions, the advanced squads both sought cover, but only the 1/1 squad found it.

The woods in column 2 was randomly chosen to investigate contacts, and found #8 -- a Heavy Machine Gun nest. The German (S-L) squad was placed to the right in the open fields, in a trench (as is the default in this scenario), and the machine gun itself appeared directly in front, in a foxhole in the farm. Although they had a choice of targets, both German units established a crossfire on the card that initiated the contact. The unit in the woods was happy to have found cover! The other potential contact failed to materialize. The US squads engaged the highest VOF target -- the S-L unit in the open fields, establishing a crossfire on him.

The US 1/1 squad was suffering automatic fire (-1), crossfire (-1) and was exposed (-2). Fortunately it was also in cover (+1) in woods (+2) and so had a total NCM of -1. The incoming fire only managed to pin the unit. In return the German squad was only taking small arms fire, and although in the open, was in trenches (+2) so the crossfire resulted in a relatively safe +1 modifier. Unluckily, it suffered a hit, and one step was hurt and converted to a litter unit.

Turn 2

No special HQ events occurred.

Since the contact level was now raised, command draws were now normal -- since all the HQs were green, that effectively meant one less command available. The CO HQ took three actions and a saved actions to activate 1st and 2nd platoon HQs and then order the entire 2nd platoon to move forward into the currently safe woods ahead of it. The 1st platoon HQ attempted to have the 1/weapons (LMG) unit infiltrate into the woods ahead of it and was successful. It saved one of its two remaining actions, losing the other. The 2nd platoon had only a single action, and ordered the 2/Weapons LMG to cease fire (to conserve ammo, as the other card was already sending in automatic fire.

The Germans had no HQ events. The litter team was pinned, but under cover, and took no action. The German squad, trading fire with a better placed US unit, decided to attempt to concentrate fire and was successful. The German HMG also attempted to concentrate without success.

The Germans in the open were now suffering incoming automatic fire, but being pinned, they were still at an NCM of +1. They suffered another hit, breaking the last two steps into a fire unit and a casualty -- ouch. In the woods, the 1/1 squad was now pinned by concentrated crossfire from automatic weapons , but with cover in the woods was at a +1 and was completely missed. The LMG that had just infiltrated in was at +0 (-1 automatic fire, -1 crossfire in woods +2) and was pinned.

... more on the main site, http://willsfamily.org/games/FieldsOfFire/index.html, with pictures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hull
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule Questions
1. Can paralyzed teams carry casualties? I saw no rules against it and used them to evacuate casualties regularly, but am not convinced this is OK.

No

2. Can a card get multiple potential contacts -- when a unit moves onto a potential contact, and then an enemy HQ event (counter-attack) causes another to be placed there, do you use both, ignore the second, or just use the most dangerous? I elected to go with both for the mission above?

The most dangerous takes precedence

3. Looking at the LAT activity check, there is nothing listed for a fire team that is not pinned and not on a US-occupied card (I treated as a non-LAT unit and checked under enemy defensive activity).

It does nothing, that is on purpose

4. I assume enemy spotters will attempt to call in fire whenever eligible, and then become fire teams automatically when no fire missions are available to them. There do not appear to be rules to cover this.

Once they expend their available fire missions they are removed from play in the next enemy activity check.

5. When grenades or mortar/artillery hit a card that also has VoF, I assumed that the grenade/artillery was resolved (as it is more dangerous) and not the VoF. The rules are not clear about this though, as they seem to indicate that grenade/mortar/artillery are not in the same category as VoF.

Grenade / Incoming VOF take precedence over standard VOF

6. I assume CO staff can command all units under the CO chain of command, although this is does not appear to be explicit in the rules.

You are correct, it is listed in the chain of command

7. For my next mission, many of my platoons are partial. Can you field platoons without leaders? 2-step units? 1-step units (presumably as fire teams)? Any rules here would be appreciated ...

It is up to you, no rules necessary. You can have 2 step squads, a gaggle of fireteams, you could have the 1stSgt be a de facto platoon leader. I recommend having PLT HQs if you have enough men for a platoon, but if you take lots of casualties you may be only able to field two platoons.

A wonderful AAR, thanks and Merry Christmas

Ben Hull
Major USMC
Combat Outpost Waleed, Iraq
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really nicely done, a very large amount of work for you.

THANKS for posting !

And I like your use of the square-grid battle mat instad of counters.to mark the extents of the original terrain. I'm adopting that good idea.

BTW, I think you cheated yourself slightly, because a captured German litter team is worth 2 vp.

Also, I thought a unit with an exposed marker could not be given any additional actions, true, or have I misunderstood?

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Wills
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Ben,

Thanks for the rapid replies -- I am glad to note that where I made mistakes, they didn't seem predominantly for or against me. I have noted in my report the errors I made and the correct actions so as not to cause confusion for new players.

It did take me some time to get into the rules, but it was when I realized that it was 0130 in the morning and that I had to shovel snow early the next morning, and I still could not tear myself away from the game that I realized this was a total winner.

My main concern with this game is now nothing to do with the rules or gameplay. It is that I am in training for state taekwando championships in March (in the aging gray-haired category) and have a book writing commitment for the fall. This game could suck a ton of my time! Eeek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benhull wrote:

2. Can a card get multiple potential contacts -- when a unit moves onto a potential contact, and then an enemy HQ event (counter-attack) causes another to be placed there, do you use both, ignore the second, or just use the most dangerous? I elected to go with both for the mission above?

The most dangerous takes precedence

How do you objectively decide which one is more dangerous? Is there an ordering such that A > B > C or the other way around? I can't find anything in the rules about only resolving one PC in a card, so this is probably something for the errata.

Quote:

4. I assume enemy spotters will attempt to call in fire whenever eligible, and then become fire teams automatically when no fire missions are available to them. There do not appear to be rules to cover this.

Once they expend their available fire missions they are removed from play in the next enemy activity check.

The rules says "Remove good order spotters from play when they have expanded all their available fire missions." They say nothing of waiting for the next enemy activation check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The US squads engaged the highest VOF target -- the S-L unit in the open fields, establishing a crossfire on him.

Wouldn't the HMG have been the higher VOF (A vs S)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.