mbmbmbmbmb
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I Received this from Carol Carpenter as part of her Thanksgiving 2008 giveaway. This past weekend, Mary and I sat down to learn and play our first game. I should note that Mary hates playing Scrabble against me. It might have something to do with my racking up 95 points by the third turn in our first game. She has refused to play since. Quiddler doesn't rely on previous hands, so it is easier to play. It also allows the non-current player to consult a dictionary during play, which is of course prohibited in Scrabble. The first thing I noticed was that the basic mechanism of picking up and laying down was identical to Gin Rummy, which we both play. This made learning the game much easier for us.

Play proceded as follows:

1st round: We both lay down immediately, with even number of words and letters.
Score: Mary 9 - Ernie 14
2nd round: Mary lays down, while I am unable to score at all. Good thing negative scores aren't allowed! Mary gets bonus for longest and most words.
Score: Mary 32 - Ernie 0
3rd round: Mary has most words, while I have the longest.
Score: Mary 43 - Ernie 30
4th round: Mary has most words. We are tied for longest.
Score: Mary 46 - Ernie 7
5th round: We tie for most and longest words. No bonuses.
Score: Mary 37 - Ernie 28
6th round: Mary has most words, while I have longest.
Score: Mary 56 - Ernie 33
7th round: We have the same number of words, while Mary has the longest.
Score: Mary 52 - Ernie 37
8th and final round: Same number of words again. I have the longest.
Score: Mary 41 - Ernie 60

Final score: Mary 316 - Ernie 209

She beat me six out of eight rounds! The important detail is I have found a word game that Mary likes and will play against me. This will be played again. Hopefully with better results for me! Thank you Carol for sending this to us.

Edit: I made an error with scoring the bonuses. With the two player game, only one of the bonuses should be in play. This should be decided before the first hand. In the games we have played since this first one, we have chosen to use the longest word bonus. Even with this adjustment, Mary still beat me 286-209!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.