Jason Clark
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, a group of us from work picked up Android today and played through a week before we all had to go. Here is a quick list of things that delayed our start, or we spent extra time getting clarification on. I know everything is in the rulebook, but one sentence out of a book can easily be missed.

Writing a wall of text to provide clarification kind of defeats the purpose so I'll try to keep each point short. Also, I may get something wrong here, so read follow-up replies just in case I get corrected on something.

1. Know that each character is unique including their contacts. If I were clarify anything in setup, I would make step 1 be to separate all characters including their contact favors, markers, cards in to respective piles. Then go from there.

2. For non-NPC favor tokens, dropship tokens, etc, for setup, it says to put them in a pile next to certain spaces, but that's not needed. There are directions under each spot identifying what you pay and what favor token you receive. Don't worry about piling all the unused tokens onto that space.

3. The max unassisted light or dark shift is 4. So if you have a card requiring five or six, you'll have to discard cards or use other abilities to lower that score.

4. Movement is defined from one location symbol to another location symbol or past. We were initially playing where one end of the car tool had to touch the symbol and the other end just hand to be touching anywhere on the area you want to move to or over. So sometimes we were making moves to spaces that were actually too far away.

Those were the big issues that screwed us up or slowed us down, so hopefully these clarifications will get you started more quickly than us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Grady
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: For new players, learn from our mistakes. What screwed us up.
Here's what screwed me up: you know how it describes most of the actions as "One Time"? That doesn't mean that you can only do it "one time" per round. It means that it costs 1 time-unit, out of the 6 or so each character has per day. Lemme tell ya, that misinterpretation really breaks the game.. :-)

-Steven

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit confused by number 4. Can you clarify?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb

The locations are defined as the small circle/diamond/triangle, and should be measured circle-to-circle (or diamond or triangle).

There's a large text box naming every location (very large for locations with a built-in action). Those can't be used with the car-calipers for movement, it's just a text box.

If the location symbol you want is touched by or inside of your car's reach, then you can move there by using 1 time. If not, you need an intermediate stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clark
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmb
DuckAndCower wrote:
I'm a bit confused by number 4. Can you clarify?

Like was mentioned below your question, each location is referenced by a physical square. Somewhere along that square's border is a shape symbol (diamond, circle, triangle). You measure movement by putting one end of the movement tool on the symbol on the location you are on, then imagine your measurement tool like a drawing compass. Draw a circle with your tool and any other location's symbol that falls within that circle you can move to.

We were playing that as long as the square location is touching your movement circle in anyway, you could move there. There are instances where the location shape is within the circle, but the location's symbol was not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
In my game yesterday, here is what the new players kept forgetting:

A. The colors of the favors. Red = street, blue = society, etc.

B. Positive evidence means more guilt, and how alibis/witnesses/perjuries work.

C. Location abilities can be used once per turn.

D. Lily and Jimmy are not leads.

E. And the big one that really tripped them up through half of the first week: light shift to play dark cards and dark shift to play light cards. They could see the arrows on the top of the cards, but it was hard to get over the notion that it was all backwards.

I know there's already a very good summary available, but do you think it would be worthwhile to collect a bunch of the often-forgotten facts on a game aid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B G R
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good tip is to put a favor of each color on its respective link space on the conspiracy board. In other words, Put a blue favor on the "Society favors are worth 1vp per link" space etc. This helped us remember what each favor was, what they were worth & so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ingersoll
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scubabbl wrote:
1. Know that each character is unique including their contacts. If I were clarify anything in setup, I would make step 1 be to separate all characters including their contact favors, markers, cards in to respective piles. Then go from there.

Hell, I bag them that way. With the exception of Raymond's starting dropship pass, everything in any way related to a given character goes in the same bag -- including the two leads. The only time it becomes an issue is when an event requires an NPC from a character not being used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I'd even go so far as to put Raymond's dropship pass in his bag. It's pretty unlikley that a game without him will use all the tokens anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rhodes
United States
California
flag msg tools
and the two we did which really were silly
a) Forgetting to get the free card for sleazy/ritzy locations
b) mucking up the conspiracy (shouldn't skim rules ) 1st we forgot to get the special ability from choosing the tile (despite the fact that back of the tile is coloured to remind you) 2nd forgot to reset the hero marker if you had advanced it, when you took a tile

Overall I thought the mechanics were easy, but choosing what to do and the interaction are very complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
scubabbl wrote:
2. For non-NPC favor tokens, dropship tokens, etc, for setup, it says to put them in a pile next to certain spaces, but that's not needed. There are directions under each spot identifying what you pay and what favor token you receive. Don't worry about piling all the unused tokens onto that space.

I did this and it actually helped. Someone asked, "Which spot gives me good baggage?" and then they noticed that the good baggage tokens were by three separate locations. Then she said, "Where do I get green favors? Oh there!" It was a really helpful and quick guide for the players to really see where they needed to go.

ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
In my game yesterday, here is what the new players kept forgetting:

A. The colors of the favors. Red = street, blue = society, etc.

Yeah, I really wanted a chart of that. Players kept asking since the cards refer to a "Street favor" rather than a "red street favor." If they added the color, there wouldn't be any confusion.

---

The last helpful thing is that the document leads and the physical leads should be one spaces that match their color. In our game we managed to keep it straight by flipping it over to know what color it's supposed to be on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
arkibet wrote:
The last helpful thing is that the document leads and the physical leads should be one spaces that match their color. In our game we managed to keep it straight by flipping it over to know what color it's supposed to be on.

That's usually helpful, but sometimes Raymond moves the leads to locations of different colors and messes things up. And no matter what you do, physical leads look red when they're faceup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.