Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: So, any other unfortunate Geeks stuck working straight through the holidays? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
My own shifts schedule is as follows:

7AM-7PM shifts: December 24, 25, 26
2PM-2AM shift: December 28
7PM-7AM shifts: December 30, 31, January 1

But don't feel too sorry for me - I'm going to take all that stat holiday pay and take off to Mexico (the Mayan Riviera) in January with my wife and a couple of friends. I'll definitely be packing Mexica, Tikal, and and as many other games as will fit in my suitcase next to the snorkeling gear and tennis rackets.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? If so, are you going to treat yourself to something nice with the extra cash?

MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all my fellow Geeks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worked 3pm to 11pm the 24th now im off to work 7 am to 4 today. Extra cash will be used to buy my self some nice gifts though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working (12/24-27) 00:00-08:00. Salaried employee so I get nothing really extra but I get time off next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear about the rough schedules - having recently completed 8.5 years of US Navy service, I've done my share of working on Christmas and Christmas Eve (and other big holidays). Not fun but necessary sometimes.

Have a great vacation and Merry Christmas to all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
squash wrote:

But don't feel too sorry for me - I'm going to take all that stat holiday pay and take off to Mexico (the Mayan Riviera) in January with my wife and a couple of friends. I'll definitely be packing Mexica, Tikal, and and as many other games as will fit in my suitcase next to the snorkeling gear and tennis rackets.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? If so, are you going to treat yourself to something nice with the extra cash?

Be safe out there my friend.

I worked Christmas Eve, and the 26th, but I do have the 25th off; which I have had off for the last few years. I am on-call for the week, so I can't partake in holiday cheer (so to speak).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worked 7am-12:30pm on the 24th. Return to work the 29th. Sometimes it's nice being salaried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Burns
United States
Dupont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to work from 2pm to 1030pm today and the same schedule on new year's day. To me it is just another day ,just with less people on the road during the morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mosse Stenström
Finland
Porvoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a security guard at an alarm dispatch. This year my holiday schedule was:
22nd - 25th 06:00 - 18:00

...and then...
31st and 1st 18:00 - 06:00
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tehgh0s7 wrote:
Worked 3pm to 11pm the 24th now im off to work 7 am to 4 today. Extra cash will be used to buy my self some nice gifts though!

I'm all about the self-bought gifts! Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skars wrote:
I am working (12/24-27) 00:00-08:00. Salaried employee so I get nothing really extra but I get time off next week.

That's a pretty rough schedule, particularly with no extra pay! Enjoy your time off next week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Sorry to hear about the rough schedules - having recently completed 8.5 years of US Navy service, I've done my share of working on Christmas and Christmas Eve (and other big holidays). Not fun but necessary sometimes.

Have a great vacation and Merry Christmas to all!

Enjoy your well-earned time off, and merry Christmas to you too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
droberts441 wrote:
squash wrote:

Be safe out there my friend.

Thanks! Will do.

droberts441 wrote:
I worked Christmas Eve, and the 26th, but I do have the 25th off; which I have had off for the last few years. I am on-call for the week, so I can't partake in holiday cheer (so to speak).

Too bad about the lack of "holiday cheer". I'll be sure to toast you tonight after work! "One drink, ha, ha, ha; two drinks, ha, ha, ha..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:
Worked 7am-12:30pm on the 24th. Return to work the 29th. Sometimes it's nice being salaried.

Very nice! I hope you have a fun and relaxing holiday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
j-train1 wrote:
I have to work from 2pm to 1030pm today and the same schedule on new year's day. To me it is just another day ,just with less people on the road during the morning.

That's a good point - the commute is definitely much less painful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosse wrote:
I'm a security guard at an alarm dispatch. This year my holiday schedule was:
22nd - 25th 06:00 - 18:00

...and then...
31st and 1st 18:00 - 06:00

That's kind of rough! Hopefully it's nice and quiet for you. Be safe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that on Monday, my company announced that they were shutting down for a month and laying everyone off, I would have to say no. I'm not working through the holidays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Considering that on Monday, my company announced that they were shutting down for a month and laying everyone off, I would have to say no. I'm not working through the holidays

Ouch!! I'm sorry to hear that! Hopefully you can relax and enjoy yourself for a while and get back to work in a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Will give me time to organize my garage, put all my games in order, and learn For The People...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
Rastak wrote:

Unfortunately my wife is sick so I'm on the receiving end of a verbal thrashing every hour on the hour. But hey, thanks for the nice thoughts Josh! Hope you are having a great Christmas and hope you are doing well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Worked 24th 3pm to 11pm.

I am on schedule today 6am to 11pm. I am also salaried so its basically a spit in the face. The hourly employees scheduled to work all called off with different ailments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cole
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I was working, at least I wouldn't be sitting around the house bored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Gee
United States
Detroit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soblue

*raises hand*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:
squash wrote:
Rastak wrote:

Unfortunately my wife is sick so I'm on the receiving end of a verbal thrashing every hour on the hour. But hey, thanks for the nice thoughts Josh! Hope you are having a great Christmas and hope you are doing well.

Thank you for the kind words! I, too, am on the tail end (I hope!) of the virus that 2/3 of the population seems to have right now. And while Christmas is the season for giving, I hope your wife doesn't pass along any germs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Astinex wrote:
Worked 24th 3pm to 11pm.

I am on schedule today 6am to 11pm. I am also salaried so its basically a spit in the face. The hourly employees scheduled to work all called off with different ailments.

Yeesh! Looks like you should have discovered an ailment of your own... gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveCole wrote:
I wish I was working, at least I wouldn't be sitting around the house bored.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.