Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the chapter packs for the LCG different than the ones for the CCG? There are a number of sellers on the net and ebay listing LCG chapter packs, but the pictures of the boxes all clearly say: Collectible Card Game, where the chapter packs I have say THE CARD GAME for the LCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gingold
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the last set of cards for the CCG was released as chapter packs (or the next to last set was). It is my understanding that all of the chapter packs (as well as the regular cards) are fully compatible with the LCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering the same thing.

If you look at the back of the Rules book, it shows the other chapter packs that still say "collectible" card game. However, it also says that they are a "fixed" 40 card pack. This is the key. You'll notice the booster on the last page of the rule book are 11 random cards which I think are for the CCG and not LCG.

I do realize the CCG cards are compatible with the LCG version. I just don't want to go that route. I'm considering not even bothering with the chapter pack series that say "collectible" card game because of it (even though they are fixed and not random)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found out some more information about this issue.

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

The fixed 40 card chapter packs from the first expansion "A Clash of Arms" was released before the LCG core set and actually uses the CCG card formatting (black border and a few other difference). So if you want all your cards to be uniform, only get the chapter packs from the newest expansion "A Time of Ravens", which, as you noted, bear the subtitle "THE CARD GAME" like the LCG core set does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerAtom wrote:

The fixed 40 card chapter packs from the first expansion "A Clash of Arms" was released before the LCG core set and actually uses the CCG card formatting (black border and a few other difference). So if you want all your cards to be uniform, only get the chapter packs from the newest expansion "A Time of Ravens", which, as you noted, bear the subtitle "THE CARD GAME" like the LCG core set does.

The link you sent over from FFG says this for the first chapter pack:
Quote:

The First series of chapter packs for the A Game of Thrones LCG. Each 40 card Chapter Pack adds 20 distinct cards to a player's collection. These cards will both expand upon the decks in the A Game of Thrones Core Game, and allow players to customize and create strategies and decks of their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tatsu wrote:
GamerAtom wrote:

The link you sent over from FFG says this for the first chapter pack:
Quote:

The First series of chapter packs for the A Game of Thrones LCG. Each 40 card Chapter Pack adds 20 distinct cards to a player's collection. These cards will both expand upon the decks in the A Game of Thrones Core Game, and allow players to customize and create strategies and decks of their own.

yes it does. However, it does not tell you that the first chapter packs from the "A Clash of Arms" were released before the core set was and are formatted like the CCG cards. That is why they say "Collectible Card Game", rather than "The Card Game". So yes, they are fixed (not random) and they are compatible with the LCG core set, but they are visually different.

**edit: found another link with a picture of the cards from the first chapter packs: http://www.agameofthrones.com/rd-journal1.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason -
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first cycle of chapter packs ("FCoCP" --just to make typing easier for the rest of this post) --the six that came out before the Core Set-- were originally designed for CCG-type distribution as an expansion set to the Five Kings Edition of the CCG. They have the black borders and some mechanics/effects are meant to have synergize with the Five Kings Edition cards. That said, they are considered part of the LCG "universe" for AGoT according to FFG and "legal" for LCG Only events under FFG's organized play program for the game.

Here's some things to consider:

- if uniformity/aesthetics are important, be aware that the FCoCP have black borders whereas the Core Set and subsequent chapter packs have white borders (as already noted in this thread).
- the FCoCP have some cards that interact most effectively with Five Kings Edition cards. Five Kings Edition is a pretty good set of cards, if you can find them at a good price you might want to consider mixing them into your card pool If you're playing casually and aren't concerned with "official" FFG events.
- a few cards in the FCoCP have errata added by FFG found in the FAQ to the game (if you're playing casually, you could choose to ignore the errata, just make sure you and your fellow players are in agreement).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.