Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Kift
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up the new Winning Moves reprint of Careers, and it says that it's only for 2 to 4 players. I know that at least some of the old versions supported up to 6, and I was wondering if there would be any problem with just adding in a couple more pawns and playing it with the supplied rules. I'm going to five it a try that way anyway, but if anyone knows why Winning Moves reduced the number of players (I guess cost could be an issue, though how expensive would two more pawns be?), I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kifty wrote:
I just picked up the new Winning Moves reprint of Careers, and it says that it's only for 2 to 4 players. I know that at least some of the old versions supported up to 6, and I was wondering if there would be any problem with just adding in a couple more pawns and playing it with the supplied rules. I'm going to five it a try that way anyway, but if anyone knows why Winning Moves reduced the number of players (I guess cost could be an issue, though how expensive would two more pawns be?), I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
AFAIK, all of the previous versions of the game are for 2p-6p. Yikes! While I haven't seen nor played the latest 2008 version, I would almsot actually consider getting an older version somewhere like on ebay. I am certainly glad I ended up with a 2003 edition.

If you were to add 2 more players, from the looks of the small photos of the latest, 2008 version, it looks like it could handle up to 6p. It should be about the same size so that "bumping" is about the same in frequency. Make sure you have enough $$ to go around for all 6p, have enough degrees for everyone, as well as experience and opportunity cards. I suppose you could always just come up with your own, extra degree cards on an index card or something like that.

As far as why they decided to dock it down to max 4p, that baffles me. I know beloved favorites (such as Cosmic Encounters) that are getting reprinted have gone through revisions that have meant inferior bits, less max # of players, missing cards/mechanics, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kift
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. This is supposed to be just like the 1950's original, so maybe that one only supported 4 players. I had the 1970's one growing up. I'll give it a try. It has 5 degrees to choose from, so 5 players should work, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eddie rey falucho
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received Careers for Christmas and was wondering why it was a 4-player maximum since the previous versions I've played with had a 6-player max. So I just added 2 more pawns and play it as a 6-player max.

As for the degrees, I remember that there are 4 specialized degrees and 2 general degrees in the older versions. This means that the 5th and/or 6th player would get general degrees. They do not get any benefits like specialized degrees (no doctor income nor any free occupation entrances) but they do get the $2000 salary increase. I believe that the scoring sheet in the new 2008 Winning Moves version reinforces this because under the "College Education" section, there are the four degrees (Law, Medicine, Engineering, and Science) and the general degree (College). If it was meant to be a 4-player game then the general college degree wouldn't make sense.

Anyway, those are my 2 cents.

_erf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kift
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erfalucho wrote:
I believe that the scoring sheet in the new 2008 Winning Moves version reinforces this because under the "College Education" section, there are the four degrees (Law, Medicine, Engineering, and Science) and the general degree (College). If it was meant to be a 4-player game then the general college degree wouldn't make sense.

Ah! That makes sense! Thanks for the help. We had a 3-player game today (I won!), and I was wondering what the general degree spot was for. It's good to know that there's nothing preventing us from playing a 6-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.