Advanced Tobruk» Forums » General

Subject: Arranging the complexities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nick P
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
After several months getting a handle on Lock 'n' Load's Band of Heroes I now feel ready to move on to ATS. I have the Tobruk game as well as a Stalingrad set and that little Spanish/Volkhov supplement and am raring to go!

Over the last few days I have fiddled with a couple of set ups and have edged my way forward with infantry fire and movement, a little tank and anti-tank combat and moral checks etc.

What I would like to hear feedback on is: how does one best arrange all those informational sheets, such as the various tables and the tank cards? I have cut out the tank cards and placed one each in little plastic bags to protect them but the nation-specific gunnery charts and all the other tables are a nightmare to handle while on 'active service'.

What do you do to solve this problem, oh experienced elders? I tried placing the sheets in plastic pockets bound into a file but they are just a tad too large. Instead the informational sheets pile up on my battle table. Flipping through them is difficult and, on one memorable occasion, they slid across the desert floor and swept an advancing British platoon complete with brens and a mortar onto my carpet. And the British still won!

So how do you arrange your player aids? Let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've got a big table, so I just spread all the player aids all over the place, with the most often used ones close by and the more seldom-referred to cards off on the periphery. I leave the AFV cards uncut; the ones you have to use are typically grouped together and I find it easier to deal with than a bunch of little cards.

Not much else to be done, really, but I fell for those who don't have a table as large as mine, as I can fill our 3.5 x 7 ft. table pretty effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Nick

I have made a rulebook with the latest version of the rules and all the playaids in a binder, with the various playaid 5's two to a plastic pocket.

That way I can easily remove the versions of playaid 5 I need and quickly flip through the others.

Like Mo I have left my AFV cards uncut and left them in the games where they are used . . you rarely need more than 2 or 3.

Being the geek that I am, I'm in the process of making an "Armor Handbook". I'm scanning all my AFV cards, cutting them out and mounting them on cardboard, by nationality and putting them all in a binder.
So far I've done the Germans, the Russians and the French.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick P
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
Thanks, Gents. Mo - you are very lucky to have a large table. I use a card table, which is generally ok for your average wargame. With ATS I need a larger area. It strikes me that I should heave the spare table from my study into my living room and place it besides my battle table.

Hi Lindgaard - happy new year to both you and Mo. Yes sir - you truly are a Boardgame Geek. I realise, after seeing your files that I can trim my cards slightly to fit them into my plastic pockets. I intend to buy some more ATS (Mannerheim's Cross particularly appeals) and - as with Panzer Grenadier - I can use the play-aids from one set for most games and keep the duplicates prisitine in the boxes in which they came. I will need nation-specific sheets for all adverseries but overall the trimming solution works well.

I am happy with my solution for tank cards (cutting them out and placing them individually each in a small sealing plastic bag, as mentioned previously).

I played the second scenario from the Axis Legion set today and enjoyed it thoroughly. I am getting better at unscrambling the rule book and finding the info I need fairly quickly. It really was great, with Soviet troops attempting to iniltrate the Spanish bridgehead and being caught out by flares prior to being machine gunned. Interesting.

I find it odd that ATS isn't better covered on BGG - especially as young upstarts like CoHs and CC-E and -M get buckets of commentary. I am sure they are both good games (CC especially interests me) but I like the relative graphic... sobriety and adultness of ATS. What a breakthrough for me the last week has been. I know you, Lindgaard enjoy ATS alot. Good to hear from you. I'll probably meet you next on the Lock N Load Day of Heroes page somewhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.