Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sceadeau D'Tela
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently received my copy of Container, and have gotten 4 plays out of it before this highly entertaining session.

My first few plays always had someone (or everyone) very broke -- loans were common, and ending scores were in the low 100s. Until last night's game session.

Maybe it was because it was Christmas, or because one had a new person join the game -- the economics worked perfectly. I came in second, with 271 dollars, but we'll get to that in a bit.

The game was a 3er, I was in the second seat. Elaine, on my right, started with the now-standard start of purchasing a factory and then producing, pricing things at $2 each. I bought a warehouse and purchased both goods, setting them on my docks for 3 and 4, attempting to make the same $3 for that action that Elaine did in purchasing them (I'm a math dork).

The newbie, Marcy, made a second machine and also produced, and now each color was represented. Elaine came to my island and bought the $3 container, leaving the $4 one. She then produced again.

I bought another warehouse and both of her goods again, again pricing them competitively. Marcy stopped by and scooped up the lot of them, and so forth.

Our first foray onto the island made me think this was going to be another low scoring game -- the very first piece dropped off was the piece Elaine bought from me for 3 -- she got paid only $2 for it (and $2 more from the bank)! Obviously, it was not in her best interest to pick up that color, as neither Marcy nor I wanted it.

The next shipment that got dropped off (3 goods) got the owner $24 after subsidies, suddenly shipping became the name of the game. Everyone going to the island to make fistfuls of cash, I felt fairly comfortable, as I was raising my prices in my warehouse (the only consistently full place to buy goods all game).

As the game was nearing it's conclusion, I had over $80 in my hand! Elaine (I found out to my dismay later) had over $120 cash in hand. This is rediculous. Each of our other games ended with people only having $120-150 or so AFTER counting goods on the island -- here we had that before even going to the island.

Unfortunately for Marcy, I did not emphasize the rule about the losing the good you have the most of on your island, and she was going about the game slightly wrong at the beginning -- correcting it midstream was a bit too tough for her.

Final scores:

Marcy: 199
Me: 271
Elaine: 296 (!!!!!!!)

I absolutely love this game -- I see it hitting the table a lot for the forseeable future. I may have to spray paint the pieces however -- my eyesight just can't tell them apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wanted to try CONTAINER. You make it sound darn fun, which is a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report.

I'm a big fan of this game too. I've played games where the economy was "hot" and it was amazing. It's a very cool economics model.

The colors can be a problem for some. Table lighting can make all the difference. A shame really, since I consider this the only flaw with the game.

- Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.