8 Posts

Pirate's Cove» Forums » Rules

Subject: Pirate's Cove - last turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
hunts man
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi, been lurking for a while and found bgg enourmously helpful to help me make up my mind in which games to buy for kids, family & play with wife. Filled a long existent vacuum and bought 8 games in the last 2 months ... near overdose ;-)

My question is re Pirate's Cove: It seems to me that there should be an additional turn (13th) after the 12 treasure island turns - when all players sail to treaure island to convert treasure & gold into fame? Otherwise the 12th turn will invariably used by players to deposit on tresure island - and the game in reality would loose the 12th turn.

The instructions don't say anything about this, and I was wondering how other gamers solved this problem. Maybe I'm overlooking something in the instructions?

thanks for felp & advice on forum
happy new year to all

P.S.: Whoever suggested (on this forum) that 'Odin's Ravens' is one of the best 2 person games (husband/wife) - thanks to you - I'm missing out on so much sleep - wife keeps insisting to play Odin's Ravens. It's great!

huntsman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not necessarily. You may have no treasure on that turn, or their may be better opportunities for points elsewhere. If you want to dump treasure, you have to take a turn to do it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
huntsman wrote:
Otherwise the 12th turn will invariably used by players to deposit on tresure island - and the game in reality would loose the 12th turn....

Maybe I'm overlooking something in the instructions?

Unless I'm misremembering the rules (possible after only playing twice) round 12 will always have the black pirate at Treasure Island and to deposit cargo there you would first need to defeat that pirate. Difficult alone, apparently quite possible with teamwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wiebe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avron wrote:
huntsman wrote:
Otherwise the 12th turn will invariably used by players to deposit on tresure island - and the game in reality would loose the 12th turn....

Maybe I'm overlooking something in the instructions?

Unless I'm misremembering the rules (possible after only playing twice) round 12 will always have the black pirate at Treasure Island and to deposit cargo there you would first need to defeat that pirate. Difficult alone, apparently quite possible with teamwork.

Yep pretty much - don't go alone against Flying Dutchman unless you're maxed out and/or have great cards and/or help and/or the Bismarck ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith M. Sandler
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really wish I'd read that last post before getting my ARRRse handed to me last night. Two of us against him, and me with a Master Craftsman in crew, and I still went down.

--kMs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
huntsman wrote:
My question is re Pirate's Cove: It seems to me that there should be an additional turn (13th) after the 12 treasure island turns - when all players sail to treaure island to convert treasure & gold into fame? Otherwise the 12th turn will invariably used by players to deposit on tresure island - and the game in reality would loose the 12th turn.

Not invariably. I rarely go to Treasure Island on turn 12. I prefer to grab free fame points someplace else, if they are available. But it also depends on who the black pirate is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fischer
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
huntsman wrote:
Filled a long existent vacuum and bought 8 games in the last 2 months ...

huntsman

seems like an old vacuum would be an odd place to put your new games whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the standard way those black pirates move around the board, always ending up on Treasure island on the last round. It makes the game quite predictable and the last round rather boring. So I now only ever play with a house-rule I put in... Before the Navigation Phase, roll a die and the resulting number is the island the black pirate sails to. It adds a little unpredictability that might thwart some of your plans, but makes the game more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.