Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Reference sheet says yes, map says no. We went with the map and said it didn't, it didnt seem to make sense?

Also is it just me or does it seem like there are no goods worth delivering in the Northeast of this map, that tends to bother me. That and it seems like you almost have to go to Mexico to win this map, there are so many good route cards from Mexico. Canada, not so much.

Your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
In my view NA Rails is an artifact of Empire Builder evolution:

/NA Rails\
Empire Builder< > Empire Builder (current version)
\US Rails/

So, current EB is NA Rails, corrected, and Tampico has fish and oil, only.

Usually, yes, Mexico is worth going to and the NE is marginal. It may help you to view this as the NE being a hotbed of railroads, so it is so highly competitive, it is not very profitable. Usually, you do want to go to Mexico, but only one of the West Coast major cities.. It's just the way the map plays. EB series maps are made rather mechanically, from what I understand, so how it plays is how it plays. Any differences from reality are artifacts of the map making process and by no means political statements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bold
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I've won NA rails games w/o going to Mexico. As with regular Empire Builder you need long distance, cross-country runs to win the game. Mexico City and the surrounding area is one of the long distance runs. Having Mexico adds variety to the traditional Empire Builder game.

Bill

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.