Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: card_sleeves [+] [View All]
Mark Gray
United States
Glenwood Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not used card sleeves before, but after seeing the Stock certificates in Chicago Express, I am going to take the plunge. Researching has turned up lots of varieties, and I'm just looking for a little expert advice on what to order. (They are not available in the town where I live)

I will be using them on the 20 certificates in Chicago Express, and I'm considering them for We the People, Hannibal RvC, Twilight Struggle, 1960: MoaP,
Hammer of the Scots, Texas Glory, etc.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcus de Bassus wrote:
Any feedback is appreciated.

There are a lot, and I mean a lot, of threads about card sleeves. I recommend staying away from the cheap penny sleeves (cost is about $1 for 100). Stick with Ultra Pros or Dragon Shield (if you can still find them). Player's Choice is decent. Max Protection is decent. I find Ultra Pro to be the best, even if they are the most expensive. They are consistently sized, about 1 mm longer than the competition (this matters quite a bit), crystal clear, soft, durable, and shuffle extremely well. The other brands I mentioned fail on one or more of these qualities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Chavis
United States
Wanatah
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I recommend staying away from the cheap penny sleeves (cost is about $1 for 100). Stick with Ultra Pros or Dragon Shield (if you can still find them). Player's Choice is decent. Max Protection is decent. I find Ultra Pro to be the best, even if they are the most expensive.

Is there a difference in Ultra Pro sleeves? I just bought 5 packs of 100 for 0.88 each at the local Walmart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmchavis wrote:
dcorban wrote:
I recommend staying away from the cheap penny sleeves (cost is about $1 for 100). Stick with Ultra Pros or Dragon Shield (if you can still find them). Player's Choice is decent. Max Protection is decent. I find Ultra Pro to be the best, even if they are the most expensive.

Is there a difference in Ultra Pro sleeves? I just bought 5 packs of 100 for 0.88 each at the local Walmart.

A large difference. Some people get along fine with penny sleeves, but I find that they are poorly sized, split easily, and are generally garbage.

The higher quality Ultra Pro sleeves are good. For a different brand, KMC sleeves are about as good as I've ever found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
dcorban wrote:
I recommend staying away from the cheap penny sleeves (cost is about $1 for 100).

Conversely I use the penny sleeves almost exclusively (mot recently for sleeving Decktet) and am quite pleased with them. I usually buy a thousand or three at a time. They are durable enough and trivially easy to replace when they do finally split.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
dcorban wrote:
I recommend staying away from the cheap penny sleeves (cost is about $1 for 100).

Conversely I use the penny sleeves almost exclusively (mot recently for sleeving Decktet) and am quite pleased with them. I usually buy a thousand or three at a time. They are durable enough and trivially easy to replace when they do finally split.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used many of the penny sleeves back in my MTG days and I hated them. Hate. They get all frayed feeling since they are way longer than they need to be. They get sticky over time. They are a pain to shuffle. They look like ass. They don't protect against bending, dents, nicks, etc. I prefer to have my deck protectors, you know, protect the cards and stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rakeman wrote:

I think cards feel better sleeved

I love the look and feel of sleeved cards. I just wish there were bridge sized deck protectors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultrapros are fine, but my opponents often want to riffle-shuffle the things and the meld into a compact deck typically puts a split in one.

I prefer the clear sleeves by Max Protection. They're much better than the penny sleeves, cost less than the UltraPros, and are a little more forgiving to a riffle shuffler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
The Ultra Pros are better these days. They used to all be inconsistently sized.

The problem with them now is they are often pockmarked and otherwise damaged, which happened much less in the days when each pack came with its own plastic card divider which provided some protection to the deck. No more, unfortunately.

I go with the cheap sleeves. They all break no matter what. Replacing the cheap sleeves is cheap. If someone wants to 'riffle shuffle' a sleeved deck then they are truly bozaic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I used many of the penny sleeves back in my MTG days and I hated them. Hate. They get all frayed feeling since they are way longer than they need to be. They get sticky over time. They are a pain to shuffle. They look like ass. They don't protect against bending, dents, nicks, etc. I prefer to have my deck protectors, you know, protect the cards and stuff.

I agree with you that penny sleeves are a real drag for playing CCGs. But, for games that do not require loads of shuffling and reshuffling (yeah I am talkin' to you Dominion) or might not hit the table as often as your Ultimate Magic Deck to the rule them all(tm) they work just fine. If you want some nice sleeves without the ugly ultrapro hologram sticker thingus on the bottom of each card, try Player's Choice or Dragon Shield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Bray
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When I used to be hardcore into the LOTR:TCG I swore by the KMD Sleeves. They are WELL worth the bit of extra money you pay for them, and the white sleeves look and feel absolutely fantastic.

Grab a pack of 10x100 of the whites for $39 with free shipping over at potomacdist.com

That's 1000 sleeves for around 40 bucks, as compared to the normal 6 or 7 bucks for 50 of the Ultra-Pro's. I think these sleeves are better anyways...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
The Ultra Pros are better these days. They used to all be inconsistently sized.

The problem with them now is they are often pockmarked and otherwise damaged, which happened much less in the days when each pack came with its own plastic card divider which provided some protection to the deck. No more, unfortunately.

I totally agree with you about the "old days" of Ultra Pro. Back during my MTG days in 1996-2000, Ultra Pros were terrible. From pack to pack, the size could vary by as much as 3mm. This is why I tried a bunch of other brands when I looked for sleeves last year. Not being satisfied with the other brands, I gave Ultra Pro another try. They are perfect now. Size is consistent from pack to pack. I buy the boxes of 100, so they are protected from damage and I have seen no marks at all.

This is the opposite of my Max Protection sleeves. I bought 20 packs of them since they were dirt cheap. I now know why they are cheap. Pretty much every sleeve has lines or pockmarks on it. Another beef I have is they are stiffer than Ultra Pro. This has the effect of "pushing" the card up and out of the sleeve during play. Ultra Pros are a much snugger fit and more pliable, so they fit like a glove instead of like an envelope.

I do agree that the Ultra Pros are more prone to being split due to a bad shuffle. They are softer. However, I feel they shuffle better overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in love with Dragon Shield for my later MTG days. However, the past few years has revealed them to be pretty much impossible to find. I'm not sure what the hell is going on since FFG now handles distribution. If you find that your cards are just barely peeking out of your current sleeves, try Dragon Shield, They are 1-2mm longer than the others for some reason. My only beef with them is they are extremely soft. This is a great feature for durability. You can't split them even by grabbing each side and pulling. However, since they are so soft, they actually stretch and can warp a bit if you are not careful when putting in or taking out cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
letired wrote:
That's 1000 sleeves for around 40 bucks, as compared to the normal 6 or 7 bucks for 50 of the Ultra-Pro's. I think these sleeves are better anyways...

Totally spamming the thread here, but it's $6-7 for packs of 100 Ultra Pros. The 50 packs are usually $3-3.50

I buy my packs of 100 for $5 CAD locally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a long break with CCGs, I started sleeving again and started with Dragon Shields based on some comments I heard. I like them quite a bit, and the best part is that a sleeved 72-card deck from Combat Commander fits *perfectly* in the box they come in so you have a nice box for each army which you can then label/decorate as you see fit (and then 18 left over for other games). You can get them from Thougthammer currently which is where I got mine years ago.

While my game ordering is almost nil these days, on a recent order with Boards & Bits I picked up some Max Protect to see how good they were since when I do order I try to always order from Tom. A bit less sturdy than the dragon ones, but also a bit less expensive but sadly no box. I've recently contacted Tom and he mentioned he could probably get the dragon ones too. If that order goes through I'll let you guys know in this thread since I believe he'll have the same or better price.

Here's the breakdown:

100 Dragon Sleeves + Box @ $7-$8
50 Max Protect $1.80 (B&B)

If B&B works out I plan on using both types depending on the games (dragons for my remaining Combat Commander decks, etc).

PS: I riffle shuffle with the dragons all the time. I've only busted a few, but that's because I was being careless. If you're going to shuffle this way, take your time and go slowly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.