Christian Leonhard
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not entirely sure I'm reading the rule on river crossing (r205d) correctly. For normal movement, you make a "Lost" check for the hex you are moving from to see if you make it into the new hex. The river crossing rule, however, indicates that you must check to see if you get lost in the crossing (presumably using the "Lost" check for the Cross River terrain type) and then, if you succeed, make a check to see if you get lost in the terrain of the hex you are trying to enter.

So, am I interpreting this correctly to mean that, while normal movement involves a "Lost" check in the terrain you're leaving, a river crossing involves "Lost" checks for the river and the terrain you're moving to, but not for the terrain you're leaving?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are correct:

Quote:
r205 Lost
Each time you attempt to leave a hex (travel to a new hex) there is a danger of becoming lost. Consult the Travel Table (r207) and find the terrain type you are leaving.

and

[q]River Crossing (r205d): if your party is trying to cross a river, first check to see if you get lost in the crossing. If you do, this represents an inability to find a proper crossing place (ford, place to swim, materials for a raft, etc.).There is no travel event afterwards. ..

Once you cross the river, you must still check for getting lost in the terrain of the new hex you are trying to enter.[/q]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Leonhard
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that certainly seems to be how the rules read. I was just thinking that it didn't seem like it could possibly what was intended. To take the example of a bit of open countryside adjoining a forest, it is normally no trouble at all to find your way into the forest from outside (finding your way back OUT again might be another matter). Simply add a river between the two, however, and you could find yourself sitting on the edge of that forest for a week getting lost repeatedly on your attempts to penetrate it. The opposite case is similarly nonsensical: it is normally somewhat difficult to find your way out of the forest, but if there's a river nearby you don't even need to try (provided you can cross the river).

The way the presence of a river completely inverts the normal procedure, which doesn't care what terrain you're trying to enter but insists that you find your way out of wherever you currently happen to be, creating instead a situation where the terrain you're currently in isn't factored in at all while your destination is, seems like it has to be an error, and yet I can find no evidence that the question has ever been addressed before, in the errata or otherwise. Bizarre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that bizarre. You have found somewhere to cross the river, but it does not necessarilly line up with a path into the forest (assume it's a particularly dense forest. It would be harder to enter a forest after crossing a river than to enter farmland, wouldn't it? Similarly, you might make it across the river, but find yourself up against a cliff, with no way into a hill hex. Next turn, you can move along the far bank of the river looking for a way into the hills.

The normal situation (no river) only accounts for getting lost in your current hex. If you had to check for the hex being entered, it would make even less sense - it would be easier to get out of a dark forest than to get in.

Incidently, I think that on future turns, you check the hex you are leaving, as you are already across the river. You only check using "hex you are entering" on the same turn you try and cross the river -once across, you can ignore the river and treat it like a normal hex. This also makes sense,you are walking along the far bank of farmland, trying to enter the forest - it's easy going along the bank, so you can make swift progress trying to find an entrance ito the trees.

At least that's how I do it. TBH, if you want to reverse it and see how it plays, let us know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.