Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Sr
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
What gateway game would you recommended the most to a friend to draw them into the world of gaming?:
Ingenious
Citadels
Diamant
Qwirkle
For Sale
Catan
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Stone Age
Dominion
Tikal
Other: please write in what works for you
      74 answers
Poll created by neverwhere68

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Other: Depends on the friend.

Some people I know would struggle with any game on this list. Others I could happily (and successfully) introduce to Arkham Horror (with expansions) and they'd eat it up.

(But then again, I'm in the school of thought that thinks "gateway game" is a bogus concept.)

Best,
Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe the question can be answered meaningfully. What game might interest a non-gamer depends entirely upon the person.

I also do not believe in the idea of "gateway games". There are games that people will more readily play at casual get-togethers, but a vast majority will not be set down the path of broader or more serious gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Sr
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people find some games easier to show people who haven't gotten beyond the concept that there is more then rolling dice, moving around the board, buying property and collecting money. Twilight Imperium, and Arkham Horror may be just a little mind blowing for non board gamming friends of family showing up on Christmas day.

...and before I bet bashed for it, I love Arkam Horror and Twilight Imperium has always been on my radar since I came to this site. but I figured out real fast they weren't where I should start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meng Tan
Australia
Bridgeman Downs
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure this is not a new argument (although it is new to me) as to whether the concept of a gateway game is valid. I don't mind it, in that I think it's at least as valid as the idea of a "gateway drug" (i.e., I don't believe that most users graduate to "harder" drugs). Likewise, I see a gateway game as a game that introduces others to boardgames that broaden their pre-existing notions of the scope of gaming (e.g., Monopoly). Granted, very few will become hard-core gamers, but I think there's a reasonable chance that some will be enthusiastic the next time that gaming is suggested.

Edit: right now I'm using Bohnanza and King Me! to introduce my immediate family to gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Target Arnhem: Across 6 Bridges

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is for TTR

but I've to say also zooloretto is a good gateway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Creveling
United States
Marietta
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for Carc but, Zooloretto is slowly replacing it.

Cute Meeples Vs. Cute Animals.

2 Enter the ring but only one leaves!

Your ticket buys the whole seat but, you'll only need the edge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Today is the yesterday you won't be able to remember tomorrow" -Pinkwater
mbmbmbmbmb
Other: Ta Yü

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket. Most casual board gamers seem to be more comfortable having a real board and a theme they can relate to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't find any of those games as "gateway" games. I find that most games on that list I can get anyone to play.

People who gateway into boardgaming usually have some kind of gaming(RPG's, wargames, mini's, MtG, etc.) background to begin with. That is the gateway. I find converting "those" people to heavier boardgaming easy enough to do no matter what I start them with. Just as long as it's a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
If a person is anti-game or completely ignorant of games, I'd say Diamant. But for anyone with a bit of game in their soul, it is Settlers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Ubongo, but that seems like cheating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.